• You cannot reply to this topic

UDCA

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-July-23, 02:07

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you pronounce "UDCA"? Is it the letters, or "udka", or something else?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-July-23, 02:33

Yew Dee See A
The letters.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 02:54

In the UK it is normally pronounced "reverse signals".

The popularity of the term 'udca' is probably increasing here due to online bridge.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2010-July-23, 02:56

Thanks! :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-July-23, 03:40

I've heard it pronounced as a word rhyming approximately with "rudder". I think that was a player from somewhere in South America, but I can't remember where. I think that the normal English pronunciation is the same as The Hog's or Cardsharp's
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-July-23, 03:53

I always say 'udka' i.e. oodcka, I think it's funnier than just reading the letters.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 04:08

"upside-down carding". If you want to be short, "upside-down".
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-July-23, 04:52

Some people seem to enjoy dragging it out as long as possible, saying "upside-down count and attitude".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 05:04

upside down for me

#10 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 06:53

Low-high even or on for me, when I say it in Dutch.

When playing online I think of it as oodka.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#11 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 06:56

On a side note, I have run into a fair number of players that use upside down attitude (low card enourages) but standard count (hi-lo = even). Is this a common practice among experts? If not, why?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:02

Free, on Jul 23 2010, 03:07 AM, said:

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you pronounce "UDCA"?  Is it the letters, or "udka", or something else?

IMO pronunciation of an acronym rather than using just the letters requires a sensible sounding word which will not be confused with others as well as ease of pronunciation of the acronym and IMO UDCA does not pass the latter test so I use "you dee cee a"

EDIT: This is of course just a limitation of the English language
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:03

billw55, on Jul 23 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

On a side note, I have run into a fair number of players that use upside down attitude (low card enourages) but standard count (hi-lo = even). Is this a common practice among experts? If not, why?

I played that once, it was horible! I lead an Ace and got high. Is this even or discouraging? If you play A asks att, K asks count, then no such problems, but we hadn't agreed on that.

#14 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:04

in my head it's udka

when someone asks what carding i play, i tell them upside down count and attitude.
OK
bed

#15 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:07

gnasher, on Jul 23 2010, 05:52 AM, said:

Some people seem to enjoy dragging it out as long as possible, saying "upside-down count and attitude".

Or they enjoy their opponents being able to be quite sure that suit preference is not included?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:13

pooltuna, on Jul 23 2010, 10:02 AM, said:

Free, on Jul 23 2010, 03:07 AM, said:

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you pronounce "UDCA"?  Is it the letters, or "udka", or something else?

IMO pronunciation of an acronym rather than using just the letters requires a sensible sounding word which will not be confused with others as well as ease of pronunciation of the acronym and IMO UDCA does not pass the latter test so I use "you dee cee a"

EDIT: This is of course just a limitation of the English language

By definition, if it's not pronounceable, it's not an acronym, it's an initialism. An acronym is a word that's formed from the initials of other words, e.g. SCUBA or LASER. An initialism is an abbreviation formed from initials which is pronounced by saying the letters, e.g. CPU or PC. Although if the pronunciation "ud-ka" becomes common, I guess this will become an acronym.

When I'm discussing system with a new partner, I'll say "Do you play upside-down?" But when an opponent asks for our carding, I'll say it in full, "upside down count and attitude".

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:36

billw55, on Jul 23 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

On a side note, I have run into a fair number of players that use upside down attitude (low card enourages) but standard count (hi-lo = even).  Is this a common practice among experts?  If not, why?

It's quite common in England, and what I normally play.

I think the rationale is that the situations where you normally give count correlate with the situations where you might need to unblock from a (remaining) doubleton.

I play it just because it's what I'm used to.

Free, on Jul 23 2010, 03:03 PM, said:

I played that once, it was horible!  I lead an Ace and got high.  Is this even or discouraging?  If you play A asks att, K asks count, then no such problems, but we hadn't agreed on that.

Yes, it's horrible having to defend without knowing what your carding methods are.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2010-July-23, 08:37

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-July-23, 08:47

jdonn, on Jul 23 2010, 03:07 PM, said:

Or they enjoy their opponents being able to be quite sure that suit preference is not included?

Yes, perhaps I'm misjudging some of them. I think most of them just like saying the words though.

Anyway, if someone says "upside down", you can be confident that they're referring only to their count and their attitude. Nobody would give such a misleading answer if they actually played upside-down suit preference, would they?

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-July-23, 09:03

How many fingers do you need to count the pairs that play upside-down suit preference?

There are obviously theoretical benefits to upside-down attitude (you don't waste potentially useful high spot cards). Upside-down count usually goes along with it because you typically want to encourage with a doubleton to suggest a ruff. But is there any particular reason to play upside-down suit preference?

I think they do it just to be different and confuse opponents.

#20 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-23, 16:51

billw55, on Jul 23 2010, 04:56 AM, said:

I don't claim to be an expert, but I play this with a few partners (upside down attitude, standard count, and standard discards).

I definitely prefer standard discards as I tend to discard cards from suits I don't like (and thus discard lower cards). For standard count I think you have to think how often will it be bad to play hi-low or low-high with a certain number of cards. For me, if I have 3 cards in a suit, I want to keep the highest 2 (generally), where as if I have 4 cards in a suit, I can still keep the highest 2 playing standard count.

You do have to figure out sometimes if it is a count or attitude situation, for instance with 2 small when partner leads the A from AK, but overall I like that.

And I pronounce udca as ewe-duh-ka, although I'd more commonly just say upside-down.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users