BBO Discussion Forums: hands switched from one table to the next - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hands switched from one table to the next ACBL club game

#1 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-July-17, 21:16

I was called to the table by a concerned pair that the results on the traveler in no way matched the hands. Though this is not a surprise at this club, I investigated, and found out that the North and East hands were switched from the way the previous tables played them. I switched the hands back, and passed the board to the next table. I decided that the table that received the switched hands can't play them, and gave both pairs an Ave+. I also gave the table that switched them a procedural penalty (both pairs).

Would you have done anything differently?

Additionally, I believe that if the board had escaped uncorrected to the rest of the field, one only compares results among the pairs that played the board in the same arrangement. Is this true? And if so, how do you do that in ACBLscore? And is there a minimum number of pairs that must have played the board in one of the incarnations? I'm asking this, because it seems that if, for example, it was switched on the third to last round, the last two tables are playing a top-and-bottom game, which seems a little unfair to them.

Thanks for your input.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#2 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-July-17, 21:22

There's a fouled board command that allows you to mark when a board was played different ways (even 3 or more ways). ACBLScore uses artificial scores when there are 1-3 pairs that played a particular fouled version, and scales the scores for 4+ as ACBL regulations require.

When it's caught after only one round, I'd do the same thing you did.

#3 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-18, 07:42

What you did seems right to me. 60% to a contestant who cannot play a board who is in no way at fault for not being able to play the board. Since you know which pair fouled it up, it also sounds like you zapped the right pair.

As for ACBLscore, I think if you type FOUL on the command line (F11 then FOUL in Windows version), you get asked which board to score as fouled. Then you type in the board number and I think you hit the space bar for every round in which the board was played unfouled, F for the 1st fouled group, and maybe something like G if there is a second fouled group (God forbid the same board got fouled a second time!).

#4 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-18, 08:35

Great thread, especially the ACBLscore part, thanks
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-July-19, 21:14

We had our first fouled board (in my memory) at our club just last week, and I was looking over the TD's shoulder as he was figuring this out. crazy4hoop described it perfectly.

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-20, 14:17

Did you actually talk to the pairs at the previous table to figure out what happeoned? I know I'd be awfully cross to receive a PP when the opponents had the hands out for examination after I'd left the table.

#7 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-20, 19:28

TylerE, on Jul 20 2010, 12:17 PM, said:

Did you actually talk to the pairs at the previous table to figure out what happeoned? I know I'd be awfully cross to receive a PP when the opponents had the hands out for examination after I'd left the table.

No, I just randomly punish people, and don't tell them what's going on. This way they won't know that they did something wrong, and won't have a chance to go right in the future.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users