Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A story from a regional

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2010-July-18, 13:24

First, let me preface this by saying that I have a really bad habit of analyzing hands at the table after they are done, made worse by the fact that my analysis is not always correct.

Anyway, our flight B GNT team was heading down to the small regional at which our team trials were to take place, and we decided to enter the compact KO on the day before the trials as a warm-up. We get to the first table and introduce ourselves to the older gentlemen who are our first round opponents, Gene and Hamish, who I've never met before.

About the 2nd hand out of the box, I start analyzing at the table (I wonder what would have happened if I did this, maybe there would have been a squeeze, etc), and was quickly told there was no squeeze by my opps. 4th hand they get to an iniquitous 4 contract, only making because QJx is onside; after they take the double finesse, I wondered aloud if I would have made a better defense by splitting my honors, and was quickly told that it would have just given declarer an easy make.

Anyway, after we're done with our set against them, there's some extra time, and Hamish starts talking about the previous tournament he had played in, the Cavendish, at which point I realized we were probably in the top bracket of our knockout (our opponents turned out to be Hamish Bennett & Gene Simpson). After the round, I told my partner that we have a new rule - I was not allowed to post-mortem at a table where the opponents had previously played in the Cavendish. Unfortunately, I could not follow my rule when we met the same opponents for the 3rd/4th place match.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-18, 13:27

lol

#3 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-July-18, 15:32

That is so funny, Chris, because my partner and I drove up to that tournament on Wednesday and decided to play in the evening side game, thinking it would be a nice relaxed evening. First thing, we are Flight A, which I forgot I just moved into, second thing, our first opponents were Hamish and Mike Shuman. My partner had no idea who they were and I didn't clue her in.

I will say this, it was a tough round, but they were the nicest pair we played all evening. I just don't see the need for the arrogance, feigned boredom, intimidation, etc, that I see some in wannabee experts that I rarely see in the true champions. (Although I do know it exists)

And, I guess that practice did you good because you won the GNT District Final!! Good luck to you and your team in New Orleans.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-24, 12:20

Yeah, good story.

Years ago I saw our guys celebrating after winning the GNT Flight C when some local wannabe's walked by and said "I wouldn't get too excited, it's only Flight C".

Right then, Jill Meyers came by and congratulated them profusely without mentioning that she had just won the big one.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users