BBO Discussion Forums: Long pause for thought which worked - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Long pause for thought which worked Denmark

#1 User is offline   duschek 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-July-19, 01:50

Scoring: MP

Danish Pairs Championships, E/W co-favourites for the title, N/S recent champions though not in the primary group of contenders.

West opens 2 (constructive weak two, 8-11 HCP), North passes. Now East thinks for appr. one minute before passing. South then decides to pass.

South is not happy when seeing dummy and calls the TD after play has finished. Your ruling?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-July-19, 02:05

What was East thinking of doing?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   duschek 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 02:11

East was not familiar with playing constructive weak twos. Was considering whether to raise to 3 directly; the hand might still belong to their side.

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 02:41

Ugly - ugly :angry: :P :(

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-July-19, 03:19

I hate the delay from East.

But I would never give south another score then the table score. To pass with his hand is IWOG to me.
Make the hand without the ace of spades and he has a case.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 05:15

Obvious law 73F case (and a lecture for East). Even if we consider South's action IWoG, we should still adjust for EW.

#7 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 05:33

East clearly ought to have known that his tank could deceive NS and appears to have achieved precisely that end. I'm adjusting this to NS 4+1.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-July-19, 05:45

Doesn't look like IWOG to pass with that hand with a lot of points in spades and red/red MP. I don't know what I'd do at the table, it would depend on the vibe RHO was sending.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 07:40

No matter what happens for EW, NS sure don't get anything. South doesn't get to decide to stop playing bridge no matter how they tank.

That said what E did was dispicible and I'd find any legal way I could to punish him for it. Is his excuse really that he is not familiar with his own system, which seems very simple anyway? He needs to be familiar with his system to know that 9 + 8-11 with no distribution is not game?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 09:02

For South to pass, after a long pause by East, seems neither wild nor gambling to me. Double would be normal without the misleading pause, but there's no compulsion on South to wander in to an auction when the table action suggests that -200 or -670 are the most likely outcomes.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-July-19, 09:11

I never understood this whole "wild or gambling thing". Wild seems to refer only to overbids, can severe underbids never be wild? And every action is gambling. I really think it should be more like "highly against the odds" or "highly unusual for the class of player involved" or something.

Take south's action. I don't think "wild" is the right word. Is it gambling? Sure, just like any action would be. But I know it's strange, it's terrible bridge, and that even if east had north's ace AND king of clubs he would be making 3. South's action is highly against the odds, highly unusual, and I won't let him take it back.

#12 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 09:29

jdonn, on Jul 19 2010, 10:11 AM, said:

I never understood this whole "wild or gambling thing". Wild seems to refer only to overbids, can severe underbids never be wild?

Well, it can certainly be a "serious error", which is the other criteria

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-July-19, 09:40

I never understood this whole "wild or gambling thing". Wild seems to refer only to overbids, can severe underbids never be wild? And every action is gambling. I really think it should be more like "highly against the odds" or "highly unusual for the class of player involved" or something.

Take south's action. I don't think "wild" is the right word. Is it gambling? Sure, just like any action would be. But I know it's strange, it's terrible bridge, and that even if east had north's ace AND king of clubs he would be making 3. South's action is highly against the odds, highly unusual, and I won't let him take it back.

Yes if north has 5 hearts then not doubling will be bad.

There are several things that W could have been thinking about. If he is thinking about a raise, then clearly you want to double almost all the time, although even so partner might have a 4333 hand which won't play well.

If he's not thinking about raising (he's just short of bidding a suit himself or a 2N enquiry) then it could easily be disastrous to bid. As an extreme example, you could be moving 2S minus some to 3 of a suit tick. Give partner say QJ97xx, void, xxx, xxxx and W an 0643 14-15 count for example.

I don't think passing is wild and gambling.

#14 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 09:57

mjj29, on Jul 19 2010, 04:29 PM, said:

I never understood this whole "wild or gambling thing". Wild seems to refer only to overbids, can severe underbids never be wild?

Well, it can certainly be a "serious error", which is the other criteria

No, the other criterion is "serious error (unrelated to the infraction)".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-July-19, 10:10

Perhaps we could consider the legal side. IWoG is an outdated term: it stands for irrational wild or gambling, which is no longer the standard. Irrational is irrelevant. SEWoG is the approach nowadays, a serious error, or wild or gambling action.

Second, people often say "wild and gambling": no, it is one or the other [or both]. If you consider an action gambling but not wild that is still sufficient to deny redress.

Third, yes, the terms are not wholly unambiguous, but we should try to use them and saying all actions are gambling, while true in one kind of way, is definitely not helpful. I think using the term with sense and judgement gets the right feel for it. If you just make a crazy bid, surely that is "wild"? If, on the other hand, you try a double which will get you a very good score if it works, hoping for a ruling if it does not, then that is "gambling". If you forget your system that is a "serious error".

Fourth, while it may not matter on this hand, SEWoG does not mean we automatically do not adjust for that side: it means they do not get the portion of the loss which was caused by the SEWoG so they may get some redress.

And finally, please remember the normal adjustment these days is a weighted score: are you sure that without the hesitation N/S would reach 4?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-July-19, 10:31

bluejak, on Jul 19 2010, 11:10 AM, said:

SEWoG is the approach nowadays, a serious error, or wild or gambling action.

Perfect then I consider the pass a serious error.

Third, yes, the terms are not wholly unambiguous, but we should try to use them and saying all actions are gambling, while true in one kind of way, is definitely not helpful.

I wasn't trying to be helpful, I was trying to learn something. I hope that doesn't offend you.

And finally, please remember the normal adjustment these days is a weighted score: are you sure that without the hesitation N/S would reach 4?

Quite sure, how could north not bid game if south doubles? He would often make opposite x Qxxx xxxx QJxx.

#17 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 11:19

bluejak, on Jul 19 2010, 11:10 AM, said:

Uuuuh yes! X and 4 are both blindingly obvious.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#18 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-19, 11:34

I don't think that it is a serious error for south to pass after east thinks for ONE MINUTE.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2010-July-19, 11:45

South was not happy with East. But, they are on the same side of the "bridge vs. Poker" issue.

Though, South didn't read his opponent very well, this time, his extremely anti- percentage pass might have worked. East gets an Oscar nomination, which is o.k, in Poker.

South will not be happy keeping the table result, either --but he deserves it. East should quietly accept an adjustment to 4H+1, and not draw further attention to what he did.

While I was writing this, Hanp posted. He has a good point, but it is only good enough, IMO, to let South get his deposit back ---not to win an appeal.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-July-19, 11:52

hanp, on Jul 19 2010, 12:34 PM, said:

I don't think that it is a serious error for south to pass after east thinks for ONE MINUTE.

I do! Let's give east north's ace of clubs, that might be something like a ONE MINUTE pause, right? Well NS still make GAME.

I mean I know your point is that a minute is a very long time in this context and that is true. But that doesn't suggest east's hand is stronger than a short pause would, just that it's a closer decision.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users