"Demonstrable bridge reason"

#21 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-03, 20:46

bluejak, on Jun 3 2010, 08:23 PM, said:

Phil, on Jun 3 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

bluejak, on Jun 3 2010, 08:33 AM, said:

The first discard on a long suit is not a tempo sensitive situation.  It is extremely rare that any discard on a long suit is a tempo sensitive situation, though no doubt we could find one.

So, we are obligated to discard a quick spot from five (or make two painless discards from six), and then exhibit distress as we search the heavens for guidance on our next five pitches?

I do not understand the connection between my post and this answer.

Phil, on Jun 3 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

I think I am allowed as a player to actually think about the cards I plan to discard, with a few contingencies based on what I see played from the other hands.

So do I: is that not what I said?

:D

dburn, on Jun 3 2010, 03:00 PM, said:

The first discard on a long suit is not a tempo sensitive situation.  It is extremely rare that any discard on a long suit is a tempo sensitive situation, though no doubt we could find one.

It often happens that players need to discard from worthless holdings in such a way as to pretend to be squeezed. This is not at all an "extremely rare" position.

Maybe that does mean that later discards can be tempo sensitive. But surely not the first.

:ph34r:

axman, on Jun 3 2010, 03:27 PM, said:

Variations of tempo convey information. Ergo, the first discard- as well as all discards are tempo sensitve.

Not really. I suppose it conveys the information that you think about your discards, but so what?

No, I do not think the first discard is tempo sensitive, since there is no useful information conveyed by pausing before it.

tempo conveys information about confidence, certainty, and risk. It gives partner a myriad of inferences including to believe the card as a signal according to agreement, not a signal, a signal not according to agreement, the card is convenient, the card is inconvenient, I hope you remember our agreement to this one....

In my experience my opponents have taken thousands of tricks they would otherwise have been unlikely to take except for the presence of their variation in tempo.

#22 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-04, 12:42

as have we all, axman, but what does that have to do with the first discard of many from a known running suit? Other signals, "signals", and such, I agree. But this particular case?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users