BBO Discussion Forums: semipositives after 1C interference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

semipositives after 1C interference

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-May-10, 09:40

For our 15+ club we're playing...

1C (1D)

.....P-GF without diamond shortness
.....dbl-0-4
.....1H-4+ hearts, 5-8
.....1S-4+ spades, 5-8
.....1N-other, no stopper needed, 5-8
.....2C-takeout of 1D, 5-8
.....2D-GF H
.....2H-GF S
.....2S-5+ clubs, 5-8
.....2N-GF C
.....3C-GF stayman
.....3D-GF H
.....3H-GF S
.....3S-GF no stopper
.....3N-GF stopper

We use the Rubensohl bids (2N+) when we're limited and short in diamonds.

Unfortunately with the semipositives, we're forced to make awkward bids sometimes. For example bidding 1N without a stopper can be terrible, but we might not have a classic takeout (2C) hand either.

Also, as you can see, we have two ways sometimes to GF with a single major.

I like very much that pass is GF. Ought we to put some of our semipositives into the double? Like balanced 5-7 which will plans a rebid?

Also, I've seen that some folks use their first bid (1H in this instance) as a takeout semipositive. Is that better than commiting to the 2-level when we might not have a fit?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-May-10, 10:47

Transfer for GF and natural for SP? Sorry, but I think that's certainly the wrong way around.

Would rather suggest something like

Pass = Weak
Dbl = Semipos. with
1 = Semipos. with
1 = Semipos. with
1NT = Any GF
2 = Very pure takeout (being a transfer to diamonds)

Of course, if 1 isn't natural (and to be honest it shouldn't be), then 2 just shows a semipositive with diamonds. But if it is natural, you should bid longer/cheaper major with 5431 and co. and reserve the t/o for 4414, 4405 or the like.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-May-10, 10:53

Oh by the way, I would prefer to play the semipositive as 7-9 or so (depending on your minimum for opening 1, make this 6-8 if 15 is only a rare exception for you). This guarantees that we have the majority of HCP, allowing us to set up a forcing pass, which will be very useful if 4th hand bounces to a high level.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-May-10, 11:09

Hi:

Transfers.

You tend to 'end play' the doubler. It also tends to give you more bidding room.

The gain in tricks(contracts made) when the strong hand takes the lead
is also a very nice feature.

1C-(X)-pass=0-5, XX=Ds, 1D=Hs, 1H=Ss, 1S=transfer to NT and 1NT=clubs

I like to play 6+, however, KQ10xx should do in a pitch.

When you have shape, show it before the auction gets out of hand.

Regards,
Robert

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 12:01

I see the point of transfers, but I think pass needs to be GF because it leaves the most room and we can relay over it.

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-May-10, 14:01

Since 1D or X do NOT take up significant room, we play systems on and X / XX = 5-8 hcp semi-positives. Pass with 0-5. Systems on are transfers to the majors and various other bids. However, there is merit in playing semi-positives as game now is unlikely.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#7 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 14:25

Hi:

Relays are nice 'when or if' the other pair allows you to use them.

Once a good pair enters a big club auction, they tend to bid as high as they can.

They often jump the bidding on quite slender values.

If you expect the bidding to remain below 2M/3level, you are likely playing against quite moderate players.

Another advantage to transfers is that your side can often decide in what suit and how high you can compete.

1C* forcing is often waving a red flag in front of good bidders.

Regards,
Robert

#8 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 16:01

spotlight7, on May 10 2010, 03:25 PM, said:

Hi:

Once a good pair enters a big club auction, they tend to bid as high as they can.

We don't insist on relaying -- we are quite content to let the "good pairs" go for -800 and -1100s ;).
foobar on BBO

#9 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 16:19

Sam and I play "systems on" after a 1 overcall, but of course our methods allow for direct semi positives anyway so it's not like we get cheated on those hands.

Josh Sher and I use his method here which seems fairly good. Basically:

(1) After one-level interference, double is any game force. Pass is weak or trapping. The cheapest suit bid is non-forcing "takeout" of what the opponents bid, with a semi-positive hand. Other suit bids are five card suits and semi-positive (NF). Bidding 1NT is semi-positive with 5+ in the cheapest suit.

(2) After two-level interference, double is takeout (semi-positive or better), two-level bids are less than invitational opposite the normal balanced range (NF), and 2NT+ start transfer lebensohl (2NT is clubs or any weak hand with a long suit that can't be bid at two-level; everything else is transfer and at least game-invitational).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 16:34

spotlight7, on May 10 2010, 03:25 PM, said:

Hi:

If you expect the bidding to remain below 2M/3level, you are likely playing against quite moderate players.

Another advantage to transfers is that your side can often decide in what suit and how high you can compete.

1C* forcing is often waving a red flag in front of good bidders.

Regards,
Robert

The point of passing with GF is that it leaves extra room. We only pass when we have at least two of the opponent's suit or we have a superpositive. Say the bidding goes...

1C (1H) P P

now dbl shows 4 hearts and other bids start relays (relays and/or reverse relays).

The point isn't to penalize the opponents. Usually responder removes the double. OTOH, why remove when we have hearts?

There are downfalls of this style...one of which is that we can't trap like others. If it goes 1C (1H) and we're passing with hearts, we can't expect partner to back in with a double because he'll likely be short in hearts.

#11 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 16:43

awm, on May 10 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

Sam and I play "systems on" after a 1 overcall, but of course our methods allow for direct semi positives anyway so it's not like we get cheated on those hands.

(1) After one-level interference, double is any game force. Pass is weak or trapping. The cheapest suit bid is non-forcing "takeout" of what the opponents bid, with a semi-positive hand. Other suit bids are five card suits and semi-positive (NF). Bidding 1NT is semi-positive with 5+ in the cheapest suit.

(2) After two-level interference, double is takeout (semi-positive or better), two-level bids are less than invitational opposite the normal balanced range (NF), and 2NT+ start transfer lebensohl (2NT is clubs or any weak hand with a long suit that can't be bid at two-level; everything else is transfer and at least game-invitational).

So 1C (1H)

.....P-negative or trapping
.....dbl-GF
.....1S-heart takeout
.....1N-spade semipositive
.....2C-club semipositive
etc.

What do you do with something like xx Kxxx Kxxx xxx ? 1S? or pass and then act?

If we were to retain pass as GF (which we like)

.....P-GF
.....dbl-0-4 or 5-8 takeout
.....1S-other semipositive
.....1N-semipositive spades
.....2C-semipositive clubs
.....2D-semipositive diamonds
.....2H-GF spades

I'm wondering if we can group the 5-8 takeout with the negative because this hand can double back in after opener's descriptive rebid.

#12 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 16:56

What I tend to do is group the 0-4 hands with the "5-8 length in their suit" hands. The idea is that the latter hand type usually doesn't result in opponents jumping the auction much (b/c they tend not to have a big fit since I have cards in their suit), and partner will usually balance. I can raise partner's balancing call or bid notrump or whatever at next turn on these hands.

The semi-positive hands where it seems really important to bid are the ones where you have a long suit of your own (pays to introduce it before the auction gets too high, and you might make a game on a big fit or something too) and the ones where you are short in the enemy suit (auction might be pretty high by your next turn, partner may have trouble balancing).

One issue with your style is that you can't actually trap. Pass is GF (with all that implies) and double won't get left in because it's not penalty.

Anyway, if you want to retain pass as GF I'd suggest something like:

Pass = GF
X = 0-4 or 5-8 with length in their suit
1 = 5-8 takeout of diamonds
1 = 5-8 with spades
1N = 5-8 with hearts
etc.

The point is that if I have the "takeout" hand the auction sometimes gets boosted pretty high. I want partner to know whether to bid over 1-1-??-3, which he usually should if I have "5-8 takeout" and usually shouldn't if I have "0-4 garbage." If I have "5-8 with some diamonds" then the above auction is less likely (how many diamonds are in the deck again?) and if it happens then partner usually finds a double, and even if he doesn't my double is probably penalty (since I wouldn't balance at the 3-level with 0-4 and I already denied 5-8 t/o of diamonds).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#13 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 17:09

awm, on May 10 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

I have played this method too and it seems to work well.

As I recall, it's used over interference through 1, right?
foobar on BBO

#14 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 17:35

Hi akhare:

If they are 'good players' they do not normally go for 800 or 1,100.

When you normally get those results, you are playing vs bad players and any methods should win.

Regards,
Robert

#15 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 18:10

spotlight7, on May 10 2010, 06:35 PM, said:

Hi akhare:

If they are 'good players' they do not normally go for 800 or 1,100.

When you normally get those results, you are playing vs bad players and any methods should win.

Regards,
Robert

> Relays are nice 'when or if' the other pair allows you to use them.

> 1C* forcing is often waving a red flag in front of good bidders.

My post was a reference to your original comments. If the sole objective is "knee jerk" style of bidding over 1, with the sole intent of disrupting relays, the chances are that a pair, however good they are, will likely go for a number.

Yes, on occasion, such style of bidding wins against 1, but IMO, coming in on random garbage against 1 auctions is seldom a winning strategy.

In my experience, effective disruption of 1 auctions is more a function of the the distributional nature of the hands, more than the methods themselves (natural, CRASH, psycho-SUCTION etc).
foobar on BBO

#16 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 18:59

Hi again:

I never mentioned a 'knee jerk' reaction by my 'good pairs.' They are supposed to know what they are doing because they are rated 'good.'

A good pair knows the risks involved in bidding over a 1C* so they will rarely go for 800 or 1,100.

Yes, distribution is the key to bidding over a 1C* opening. Get in quick, raise to your level of safety and hope to give them the last guess.

You are 100% correct that distribution is the key to bidding over 1C* without going for your life.

Vulnerabilty is also a major part of the bidding decision. White vs Red you 'almost' have a license to steal. Red vs White you use a lot more caution.

There are problems with using relays 'if' the other pair can jack up the bidding to 2M or the 3 level.

Regards,
Robert

#17 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-10, 19:57

awm, on May 10 2010, 05:56 PM, said:

What I tend to do is group the 0-4 hands with the "5-8 length in their suit" hands. The idea is that the latter hand type usually doesn't result in opponents jumping the auction much (b/c they tend not to have a big fit since I have cards in their suit), and partner will usually balance. I can raise partner's balancing call or bid notrump or whatever at next turn on these hands.

The semi-positive hands where it seems really important to bid are the ones where you have a long suit of your own (pays to introduce it before the auction gets too high, and you might make a game on a big fit or something too) and the ones where you are short in the enemy suit (auction might be pretty high by your next turn, partner may have trouble balancing).

One issue with your style is that you can't actually trap. Pass is GF (with all that implies) and double won't get left in because it's not penalty.

Anyway, if you want to retain pass as GF I'd suggest something like:

Pass = GF
X = 0-4 or 5-8 with length in their suit
1 = 5-8 takeout of diamonds
1 = 5-8 with spades
1N = 5-8 with hearts
etc.

The point is that if I have the "takeout" hand the auction sometimes gets boosted pretty high. I want partner to know whether to bid over 1-1-??-3, which he usually should if I have "5-8 takeout" and usually shouldn't if I have "0-4 garbage." If I have "5-8 with some diamonds" then the above auction is less likely (how many diamonds are in the deck again?) and if it happens then partner usually finds a double, and even if he doesn't my double is probably penalty (since I wouldn't balance at the 3-level with 0-4 and I already denied 5-8 t/o of diamonds).

I guess what I'm wrestling with is what happens after 1C (1H) dbl P 2C

when responder has something like Kxx xxxx Kxxx xx. Now he has to bid 2H I suppose to show that he had the 5-8 with length sort of hand. Not terrible, but not great either.

Also 1C (1H) dbl (3H) P P ?

Double seems like penalty here, but responder may not have a great penalty double.

If responder were to double with all 0-4 and also the 5-8 takeout, then he doesn't have a problem. He simply cue bids. Also, say the auction went...

1C (1H) dbl (3H) P P

now dbl shows the takeout 5-8 (as opposed to a serendipity double with 0-4 and heart length) and opener does what he wants.

Or the auction goes...

1C (1H) dbl (1S) P (2S)

dbl shows an original takeout double of hearts with 5-8.

Interested in your reaction.

#18 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-11, 00:15

1C-1D

.....P-GF
.....dbl-semipositive, other
.....1H-spade semipositive
.....1S-negative
.....1N-heart semipositive
.....2C-takeout semipositive
.....2D-GF H
.....2H-GF S
.....2S-club (6 cds) semipositive

1C-1H

.....P-GF
.....dbl-semipositive other
.....1S-negative
.....1N-spade semipositive
.....2D-diamond semipositive
.....2H-GF spades
.....2S-clubs (6 cds) semipositive

1C-1S

.....P-GF
.....dbl-negative
.....1N-semipositive other
.....2D-heart semipositive
.....2H-clubs (6 cds) semipositive
.....2S-diamonds (6 cds) semipositive

#19 User is offline   hockboy41 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-May-27, 15:37

I wrote up a system for 1C interferences, we have made some changes to the system but nevertheless it's pretty comprehensive:

I doubt that there are typos, but there may be some weird bids and things my partner and I have changed, so this is about 90-95% of what we do.

ENJOY!

-Newest Member of BBO Forums

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a Double by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(x)-)
-Pass = 0-4 hcp, negative response
-Redouble = always a positive response, different depending on the double:
-Over takeout double = 8+ hcp, middle support in clubs
-Over penalty double (CAPP) = a desire to play 1Cxx
-Over suit-showing double (CRASH?) = 8+ hcp, stopper in the suit implied (e.g. 1C-(x=diamonds)-xx(diamond stopper).
-1D = 5-7 hcp, weak response, (often useful over DONT procedures)
-1HS/2C/D = 8+ hcp, positive response, 5+ card suit, transfers are ON, gf
-1NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, balanced hand (4333 or 4432), gf
-2H/S = 4-7 hcp, weak response, 6+ card suit
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, 4441 in any suit

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a 1D by LHO (conventional or otherwise): (e.g. 1C-(1D)-)
-Double = 5-7 hcp, weak response (stolen bid of 1D)
-1HS/2C/D = 8+ hcp, positive response, 5+ card suit, transfers are ON, gf
-1NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, balanced hand (4333 or 4432), gf
-2H/S = 4-7 hcp, weak response, 6+ card suit

Overview for Double or 1D overcall by LHO
Here since the systems are not really affected, systems are on over a double or 1D bid by the LHO. The interesting bid to note is a redouble by responder (e.g. 1C-(x)-xx) which has different meanings based on the meaning of the double (which responder MUST ask for), but all redoubles are positive responses. For a takeout double, a redouble shows medium support for a 1C hand since the takeout is for other suits and there is a chance 1C hand has lots of clubs assuming the double is for takeout. For a penalty double, a redouble is a desire to play 1Cxx which the responder must have some clubs to say, and if the opener has some clubs, the opener can pass out 1Cxx. Nevertheless the redouble over penalty double often has no significant other suit (e.g. 2 honors and 5 of a suit) otherwise responder should transfer. Over a suit-showing double, which would be conventional like Crash etc., the redouble shows a stopper in the suit they meant. Here, an overcall helps to specify responder’s hand more than just a pass from LHO.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a NATURAL SUITED 1H/1S by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(1H)-)
-Pass = 0-7 hcp, negative response
-Double = 8+ hcp, positive response, STOLEN BID transfer
-1NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, balanced 4333 or 4432, gf
-Any positive bid over disturbance = 8+ hcp, transfers are ON, positive response (e.g. 1C-(1H)-1S(clubs) or 1C-(1S)-2D(hearts)), gf
-OTHER MAJOR 2H/2S = 4-7 hcp, weak response, 6+ card suit
-CUEBID 2H/2S = 8+ hcp, positive response, 1st or 2nd round control in their suit.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a CONVENTIONAL (CRASH, etc.) SUITED 1H/1S by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(1H)-)
-Double = 5-7 hcp, weak response
-1NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, balanced 4333 or 4432, gf
-Any positive bid over disturbance = 8+ hcp, transfers are ON, positive response (e.g. 1C-(1H = minors)-1S(clubs) or 1C-(1S = black suits)-2C(diamonds)), gf
-OTHER MAJOR 2H/2S = 4-7 hcp, weak response, 6+ card suit
-CUEBID 2H/2S = 8+ hcp, positive response, 1st or 2nd round control in the SUIT THEY MEANT (e.g. 1C-(1H = minors)-2H(controls in both minors) or 1C-(1S = black suits)-2S(spade control))

Overview for 1 of a Major overcall by LHO
For natural bids, it’s generally the same except now a cue-bid is possible, showing a first or second round control in the suit (and since it is offside, if opener and responder are playing 3NT, the control is more powerful being offside of the strong hand). Transfers are ON, this is important since 1H/S are low overcalls and don’t really mess up the bidding much, but since they are natural here, they are specific enough such that they don’t effectively ruin the auction. For conventional bids (crash, etc.), transfers again are on, the only change is what the cue-bid shows: first or second round control in the suit, or suits, the LHO meant. Since they have to alert their bids, if they show a suit, and responder can stop it, it’s almost as important as a regular long suit assuming NT is the final contract (e.g. Opener doesn’t have a significant suit, but does get a chance to bid it).

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a NATURAL/STRONG 1NT(15-17) overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(1NT)-)
-Any positive bid over disturbance = 8+hcp, transfers are ON, positive response (e.g. 1C-(1NT)-2S(clubs) or 1C-(1NT)-2D(hearts)).
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response 4441 in any suit

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a CONVENTIONAL (Mini-NT, Balancing, etc.) 1NT overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(1NT)-)
-Any positive bid over disturbance = 8+hcp, transfers are ON, positive response (e.g. 1C-(1NT)-2S(clubs) or 1C-(1NT)-2D(hearts)).
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response 4441 in any suit

Overview for 1NT overcall by LHO
For natural 1NT overcalls, which are 15-17 strong and flat, all bids are positive and have 8+ hcp, the weak 2 is taken off here since it wouldn’t be shifting anything. Any response on the 2 level would be a transfer and 2NT would show 4441 distribution. For conventional 1NT overcalls, which can be anything from mini-nt to showing minors, anything at all (there are LOTS of strange conventions), there is a change for the negative/weak response: mainly a pass is just like a 1D normal response, 0-7 hcp, negative/weak, while a double is for penalty (since the 1NT is convention).

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a MICHAEL’S CUEBID overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(2C = both 5 card majors)-)
-Double = 5-7 hcp weak response
-2D = 8+ hcp, BOTH 5 CARD MINORS.
-2H = 8+ hcp, 5+ DIAMONDS, positive response
-2S = 8+ hcp, 5+ CLUBS, positive response
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, DENIES stoppers in BOTH majors, can have a stopper in one of the majors, often a balanced hand.
-3C (Cue-bid of Michael’s) = 8+ hcp, positive response, SHOWS stoppers in BOTH majors

Overview for Michael’s Cue-bid overcall by LHO
There are definitely different bids here because Michael’s Cue-bid is so specific AND weak, the responses over this (which are all positive) show different features for different reasons. Pass and double are normal, 0-4 and 5-7 respectively. 2D shows both 5 card MINORS, which is important given that 2C interrupter shows both majors, the possibility of having a minor slam are HIGH especially with enough points to do so, showing both minors is extremely important. To show each minor separately, we have 2H showing diamonds and 2S showing clubs, this goes with other minor-showing flipflop systems and matches colors so as to not confuse the responder (reds and blacks). 2NT is flat, no specific minor of note (maybe a 5 card bad minor) but specifically DENIES a stopper in BOTH majors, there can be a stopper in one of the majors, but definitely not both. A 3C Cue-bid of the Michael’s is used for showing BOTH major stoppers. Overall, this system works effectively to use the 2C overcall to the advantage of the opener and responder and assumes no major fit (since 2C has both 5 carders) but rather searches for major STOPPERS for NT purposes as well as minor game/slam opportunities.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a NATURAL WEAK 2D overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(2D = long diamonds 6-11 points)-)
-Pass = 0-7 hcp, negative/weak response
-Double = 8+ hcp, positive response, shows 4-5 cards in CLUBS.
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, DENIES stopper in DIAMONDS
-2H/S/3C = 8+ hcp, positive response, transfers are OFF, NATURAL bids.
-CUEBID 3D = 8+ hcp, positive response SHOWS stopper in their suit.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a NATURAL WEAK 2H/S overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(2H = long hearts 6-11 points)-)
-Double = 8+ hcp, positive response, shows 4-5 cards in the unbid major.
-2NT = 8+ hcp, positive response, DENIES stopper in their suit
-3C/D = 8+ hcp, positive response, transfers are OFF, NATURAL bids
-OTHER MAJOR 3H/2S = 8+ hcp, LONG suited major, natural, 6+ cards
-CUEBID 3H/S = 8+ hcp, positive response SHOWS stopper in their suit.

Overview for Weak 2 (2D/H/S) overcalls by LHO
The key here is that pass is expanded to 0-7 for purposes of making the double more valuable and suit-showing. In most cases, over a weak 2, responder will have points, or 1C bidder is extremely strong. Here we also have a system to show stoppers in the bid suits, like for defense over michael’s cue-bid. Doubles show positive responses and shows the other minor suit (clubs when 2D is bid), or the other major suit (depending on the bid). 2NT denies a stopper in the weak suit while a cue-bid of the overcall shows a stopper and positive response. In order to bid a new suit (especially the other major, for which transfers are OFF, the suit must be long enough such that there is a chance for game in the other major, slam in a minor, or 3NT runs.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND an UNUSUAL 2NT overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(2NT = 5 carded Diamonds and Hearts (or Clubs and Diamonds; must be asked))-)
-Double = 8+ hcp, DENIES stopper in their suits
-Any new suit 3 level = 8+ hcp, when it ISN’T one of the unusual suits, shows a NATURAL suit, positive response
-Any unusual suit 3 level = 8+ hcp, when it IS one of the unusual suits, it shows a STOPPER in ONLY that suit, positive response.
-3NT = 8+ hcp, SHOWS stopper in both unusual suits, positive response

Overview for Unusual 2NT overcalls by LHO
Since 2NT is such a high overcall, pass is a catchall 1D type response. Double denies a stopper, bidding their suit shows a stopper in that suit, and 3NT shows both stoppers. This is useful when trying to make a NT contract. Any new suit is natural and positive, there could be stoppers in their suit but instead of honor-type control, more along the lines of a singleton or void.

Responder’s First Bid over 1C by Opener AND a 3 LEVEL PREEMPT overcall by LHO: (e.g. 1C-(3D= long diamond suit, sound or semi-light)-)
-Double = 8+ hcp, takeout for any suit, DENIES stopper in preempted suit.
-Any new suit = 8+ hcp, transfers are OFF, natural bid, positive response
-3NT = 8+ hcp, SHOWS stopper in preempted suit, positive response
-CUEBID = SHOWS stoppers in preempted suit, SUPER-POSITIVE response, balanced, invites to 6/7NT. Can include rounds of epsilon bids, but if they are not used, the opener can use these:
-4NT = stop
-5NT = invite to 6
-6NT = invite to 7

Overview for 3 Level Preemptive overcalls by LHO
Similarly, 3 level preempts really ruin the auction. Pass is catchall 1D type response and double denies a stopper and denies any defensive length in the preempted suit (aka takeout), all responses that aren’t pass are 8+ hcp. Any new suit is natural, transfers are OFF, and 3NT shows a stopper in the preempted suit. When their preempted suit is cue-bid, this shows an extremely powerful hand with definite stoppers/stopper in the preempted suit, this is inviting to NT-slam unless 1C opener has a long suit for which epsilon bids are used to show support. Often if the responder is cue-bidding the preempt (which could be light) is as strong or stronger than 14 points. This should establish a 30+ point fit and stopper in their long suit. This implies that 4NT is a stop bid, 5NT invites to 6, and 6NT invites to 7, all depending on how good the preemptive stopper is. If it’s first round control, then small or grandslam are probably possible.
As Vergil Once Wrote: "Forsan et Haec Olim Meminisse Iuvabit." "Perhaps one day, it will be pleasing to have remembered these things." - Vergil's Aeneid, I.202

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users