BBO Discussion Forums: The future of the Euro - BBO Discussion Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The future of the Euro What is your opinion?

Poll: What do you think will happen with this currency in the forseeable future? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think will happen with this currency in the forseeable future?

1. All these current problems in the EuroZone will be relatively fast fixed and Euro will remain the strong currency (23 votes [30.67%])

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

2. All members remain in the zone, but Euro will be a weak currency with strong volatility for a long time (16 votes [21.33%])

Percentage of vote: 21.33%

3. Several countries will be pressured to leave the zone (21 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

4. All Euro-countries will return to their old national currencies (4 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

5. Others (11 votes [14.67%])

Percentage of vote: 14.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-26, 09:38

I think that the differences between Athens and Paris exceed the differences between San Francisco and New York, but probably the real issue is that, at least to a large extent, Athenians think of themselves as Greek and Parisians think of themselves as French, while people in New York, San Francisco and a mining town in West Virginia all think of themselves as Americans.
As mentioned, it's a challenge and it has gotten tough. I won't be throwing spitballs, good luck.
Ken

#122 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-January-26, 12:11

Only a united Europe is big enough to stay significant.

Why would being significant be a goal? Many insignificant countries are doing VERY well. 1.3 billion Chinese and 8 million Swiss. Yet I would prefer to be part of the 8 million.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#123 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-26, 14:23

View PostGerben42, on 2011-January-26, 12:11, said:

Why would being significant be a goal? Many insignificant countries are doing VERY well. 1.3 billion Chinese and 8 million Swiss. Yet I would prefer to be part of the 8 million.

The Swiss managed to be one the the most significant banking places in the world.

A lot of the less significant countries in the world are in Africa, so losing significance is often related with economic loss and with the loss of political influence in the world.

#124 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-January-26, 15:34

View PosthotShot, on 2011-January-26, 14:23, said:

The Swiss managed to be one the the most significant banking places in the world.

A lot of the less significant countries in the world are in Africa, so losing significance is often related with economic loss and with the loss of political influence in the world.

You have your logic backward. Although poor countries mostly do not have large political influence, not having political influence doesn't mean poverty. Before they got awarded the World Cup, how many people knew Qatar even existed? I mean people other than Blatter :)

The biggest secrets to prosperity are political stability and good health. Natural resources are worth nothing if the political system is broken. With its fertile lands and natural resources, if led properly, Zimbabwe could have been Africa's richest country by now. Instead, it is one of the poorest.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#125 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-26, 16:17

I guess you are aware of he fact that Chinas economy is growing with more than 10% a year.
Estimate how man years will it take for Chinas 1.3 billion people to produce a sufficient number of engeniers so that they no longer need to buy technology from other countries?
Won't that make them to a big contender for e.g. Germany?
I guess you also know that Chinas industries is using it's profits to buy the rights for exploiting Africa's natural resources and that China is about to stop it's exports of rare minerals to other countries.
So do you really think that e.g. a country like Germany is capable to stand its ground on its own?

Perhaps after thinking about that you can accept the possibility that after losing costumers, exports would drop and difficulties accessing natural resources it will led to further loss in competition, leading to a significant drop in the peoples economic situation.

To me it seems better to combine the efforts of about 501 million Europeans (Number from Januar 2010) to improve the chances to stay "significant".

#126 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-February-04, 07:07

Frau Nein says yes to more integration

In a remarkable about-face, Mrs. Merkel now wants more economic integration in the euro zone, including regular meetings of its leaders. That sounds similar to a French plan for a prototype economic government for Europe — something once considered so radical that Germany killed it.

... In Berlin, Mrs. Merkel’s adviser, Uwe Corsepius, briefed European Union ambassadors on the ideas this week and a draft document, prepared by one German ministry and circulating in Brussels, identified six priorities.

These are: abolition of wage indexation systems, agreement on mutual recognition of education qualifications, creation of a common base for assessing corporate tax, adjustment of the pension systems, establishment of a national crisis management regime for banks and new legal measures to force countries to commit to tough fiscal policies through a “debt alert mechanism.”

Under the plan, countries will be measured against economic indicators, their progress verified by the European Commission.

Though both Mrs. Merkel and Mr. Sarkozy have been fiercely critical of the commission and want to limit its powers, neither wants to create a new, parallel structure.

In fact much — though not all — of Germany’s plan was being pushed by the European Commission in its annual growth survey, or in its plans to strengthen the European Union’s rule book with six economic governance proposals.

But that Berlin wants to make these ideas its own gives them vital momentum.

The challenge now is for officials to make a series of interlocking reforms into a coherent package by March.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#127 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-05, 08:38

Smaller EU countries like Austria and Belgium are not amused about this plan, non euro-zone members Poland and Hungary are afraid, they will be put to a backwater in european decision making process. So the negotations about details in March can end with compromise that completely diluting this idea >>> business as usual in Brussels.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#128 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-03, 13:16

We have not an extra thread about the future of the USD, so a few words here.
It seems, China wants to destroy the domination of the greenback at the trading markets and plans to handle the entire own foreign trading in Yuan. This and tries by a lot of countries to finish the exclusively role of USD in oil trading may bring some troubles or?

#129 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-18, 07:35

Who will pay for restructuring of Greek debt?

Posted Image
Fabrizio Bensch/Reuters

Posted Image

NYT story by Alan Cowell and Judy Dempsey.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#130 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-18, 07:46

How do you say "fast fix this" in German?

#131 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-20, 15:31

View Posty66, on 2011-June-18, 07:46, said:

<br />How do you say "fast fix this" in German?

"Bringe es schnell in Ordnung"

But you cannot fix anything throwing billions of Euro in a bottomless pits, and this is what happens at the moment.

#132 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-June-21, 16:18

:D Don't cry for me Argentina. Currency consolidation is a balance between the ease of lending in a common currency and the benefits of letting currency devaluations help you out when things go bad. I had lunch the other day with an fat Washington economist named Larry, which one I can't remember. He said that he had had dinner with an important German (like the chancellor or the head of the German central bank) who related his (and his wife's) extreme discomfort at the events just following the end of WWII. That experience forged, for him, the theoretical basis for a common Franco-German currency to minimize the potential for future conflict. Who else cabbages on to the Euro remains to be seen.

#133 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-21, 17:04

In 1989 the french president F. Mitterand gave up his resistence to German Unification processing in this moment in Helmut Kohls goverment approved forcing of the European Monetary Union. That was the price.

#134 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-21, 18:08

View PostAberlour10, on 2011-June-20, 15:31, said:

"Bringe es schnell in Ordnung"

But you cannot fix anything throwing billions of Euro in a bottomless pits, and this is what happens at the moment.

21 poll voters do not agree apparently. I am not so optimistic.

#135 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-22, 02:16

View Posty66, on 2011-June-21, 18:08, said:

21 poll voters do not agree apparently. I am not so optimistic.

You do realise this thread is over a year old?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#136 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-22, 06:54

Yes. "Fast fix this" was a lame attempt at humor.

#137 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 05:14

View Postkenberg, on 2011-January-26, 09:38, said:

I think that the differences between Athens and Paris exceed the differences between San Francisco and New York, but probably the real issue is that, at least to a large extent, Athenians think of themselves as Greek and Parisians think of themselves as French, while people in New York, San Francisco and a mining town in West Virginia all think of themselves as Americans.

Yeah, this is crucial. Most New Yorkers would care about California going bankrupt. I think that most non-Greek Europeans (but OK I am largely speaking for myself) don't care if Greece goes bankrupt except for the implications it would have for our local economy. Greeks have never paid taxes to the government that provides services for me. I have never voted for politicians that have any say on what happens in Greece, nor have Greeks voted for politicians that have any influence on my life. I have no close friends or relatives that have ever lived in Greece. Theoretically I could be a very empathic person who cared about the welfare of the Greeks, but that is just like I could care about Zimbabwe or North Korea. The fact that Greece is an EU member while Zimbabwe and North Korea are not means nothing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#138 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 05:35

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-23, 05:14, said:

Yeah, this is crucial. Most New Yorkers would care about California going bankrupt. I think that most non-Greek Europeans (but OK I am largely speaking for myself) don't care if Greece goes bankrupt except for the implications it would have for our local economy. Greeks have never paid taxes to the government that provides services for me. I have never voted for politicians that have any say on what happens in Greece, nor have Greeks voted for politicians that have any influence on my life. I have no close friends or relatives that have ever lived in Greece. Theoretically I could be a very empathic person who cared about the welfare of the Greeks, but that is just like I could care about Zimbabwe or North Korea. The fact that Greece is an EU member while Zimbabwe and North Korea are not means nothing.

While I basically agree with you, I suggest you check your private pension plans, because your insurance or bank could hold (or held and sold them with a big loss) a significant amount of Greek loans.
A lot of people who don't care about the Greek now, will be surprised when they retire how big the impact to their pensions is....

#139 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 11:51

View PosthotShot, on 2011-June-23, 05:35, said:

While I basically agree with you,  I suggest you check your private pension plans, because your insurance or bank could hold (or held and sold them with a big loss) a significant amount of Greek loans. A lot of people who don't care about the Greek now, will be surprised when they retire how big the impact to their pensions is....

From one side you are right, nobody is able to forsee how big would be this financial earthquake and this is the reason for what the european politicans do at the moment.

From the other these banks and insurances (you talk about) cashed and cash enormous intersts for these greek loans without any risk. This risk is averted only by the european tax payer. Is it still market economy? A. Merkel is willing to contribute banks (holders of the greek loans) compulsorily on the cost of this crisis, But Sarkozy said : Non mon ami! Why? Look at the diagram posted by y66 above and you will know.

#140 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-23, 17:01

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-23, 05:14, said:

I think that most non-Greek Europeans (but OK I am largely speaking for myself) don't care if Greece goes bankrupt

I care! They owe me money. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users