BBO Discussion Forums: New suit superaccept over transfer - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New suit superaccept over transfer What is 1NT-2H-3D?

Poll: What is 1NT P 2H P 3D? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What is 1NT P 2H P 3D?

1. I would never bid anything except 2S (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

2. I would never bid anything except 2S or 3S (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

3. 4 hearts, maximum, doubleton small diamond (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

4. 3 or 4 hearts, maximum, doubleton small diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 4 hearts, doubleton small diamond (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

6. 3 or 4 hearts, doubleton small diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 4 hearts, maximum, any doubleton diamond (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

8. 3 or 4 hearts, maximum, any doubleton diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 4 hearts, any doubleton diamond (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

10. 3 or 4 hearts, doubleton small diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

11. 4 hearts, maximum, diamond concentration (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

12. 3 or 4 hearts, maximum, diamond concentration (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 4 hearts, diamond concentration (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

14. 3 or 4 hearts, diamond concentration (0 votes [0.00%])

15. other (please explain) (8 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-March-20, 03:20

It depends on agreement, but another agreement is that this shows 4 spades to the A or K or Q and 2.5 to 3 QT outside spades, the cheapest of which is in diamonds (I.e., not in clubs). This lets partner bid 3nt on KQxxxx xx xxx Ax.

With another partner it shows 4+, max and diamond concentration.

With another partner it shows 4+, max, and small doubleton in diamonds.

#22 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-March-20, 03:26

strongly prefer values+length to worthless doubleton but I am neutral as to the necessity of all this. the only time this came up and it really mattered we missed a slam holding 33 hcp because of a misunderstanding.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#23 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-22, 17:11

Agree with using the second step for all superaccepts, i.e. 1N-2-2 or 1N-2-2NT. Over that you need a re-transfer bid and can do what you like with the others, maybe show singleton or doubleton. There are three available steps if you use three of responders suit as one of them. or two otherwise.

I would also use an immediate jump to three of the suit, i.e. 1N-2-3 or 1N-2-3 as a shutout with a minimum and offensively oriented cards, e.g. xx KQJx Axx KQxx. I wouldn't superaccept with a minimum and scattered values though.

#24 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-22, 21:16

In Poland it's popular to play:
1NT - 2H
2NT = maximum 1NT with 3card support with exactly two out of A,K,Q

It sometimes lead to very good 23pc 3nt. It sometimes winds you up to high. I am not convinced either way, just mentioning it's popular here.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2010-March-22, 23:46

jdonn, on Mar 19 2010, 08:56 PM, said:

Some people play things like it shows a doubleton diamond. I think this sort of information is (far) more likely to be helpful to the opponents rather than partner so I prefer 3 to be my only super accept.

I use 3 as my (almost) only super-accept, to leave room for responder to express interest and also to have 2NT available for HHx in spades and a very suitable maximum.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-March-23, 01:52

I hope no one minds if I mention that I really don't care for this HHx maximum idea, it almost always gets you too high in my (probably very biased) perception. I was made to play it for a few sessions and whenever it came up it was very bad. I even stopped transferring after a while :rolleyes:
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#27 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-23, 03:52

This is what Danny Kleinman (The Notrump Zone) recommends:

All super accepts should show a 4+crd support and a maximum.
3// not only shows a doubleton in the bid suit, but also shows a hand that is suitable to be dummy in a spade contract.
2NT then shows a super accept that still wants to be declarer in a spade contract. Over this responder can use natural game tries.

You don't need 3 as a super accept, but maybe you can have it show a 4crd support with a minimum...

Steven

#28 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 04:14

I had this structure -- probably original, or probably inspired by something I read on some website -- that I never tested. I never had a partner who agreed to play it -- perhaps shows that the structure is not worth the paper it is printed on. Please note it is based on the assumption that we do not open 1NT with 5-card major and 15-17 -- this may be an unpalatable condition for many. Anyway, here goes:

After 1NT - 2H:
2S - normal accept
2NT - superaccept in S. Some 4-4-3-2 hand (4-card S assured)
3C - 5-card club; 3 card spade; max hand (club suit will not be awful). i.e. 5-3-3-2 hand
3D - 5-card diamond; 3 card spade; max hand (diamond suit will not be awful)
3S - Max balanced hand. Exactly 4-3-3-3 hand (S support may be 3 or 4 card)

After 1NT - 2H - (2NT/3C/3D), if responder is weak OR wants to be dummy, responder rebids the transfer (3H) and 1NT opener is forced to complete
After 1NT - 2H - (2NT/3C/3D), if responder has enough for game and is OK declaring, responder bids 3S which can trigger off a shape showing rebid by 1NT bidder.

The same structure can work after 1NT - 2D, except the 2S bid needs to be used to show a max hand with 5-card diamond and 3 card heart (otherwise responder cannot re-transfer)

According to me, the weakness of the structure is the 3S bid (with 3-card support we are often too high) but my belief is that the structure works well without this bid AND (though I have never tested this), the 3S bid will be used by opener too rarely to worry.
The upside of the structure is that partnership can find 5-3 or 5-4 fit in minors at a low level. And these fits are assured double fits (major 5-3 and minor 5-4/5-3)

Comments?

#29 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 04:32

I think bids which make you play on 3level when you are minimum are silly idea. There is a lot of value in playing at 2level instead of 3level, especially at MP's (because there hands where there are 7 tricks available matter). I wouldn't mind playing that only superaccept is 3M and it shows extraordinary hand for suit contract (with 4+support)

I believe the value of superacceptance showing side suit or xx is close to 0 or even negative. Telling them what to lead/don't lead is more important than bidding games/slam on specific dream values.

#30 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-March-23, 05:21

gnasher, on Mar 19 2010, 06:53 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Mar 20 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

Well, you missed the one option that I actually play. (And, it's somewhat strange that few even seem to consider this possibility.)

I'd have thought that you'd be used to that by now.

I play 3 as a 5-card super-accept.

I mean, you are allowed to have a five-card majpr, and partner is allowed to transfer into that suit.  It does happen, albeit rarely.

Do you find it particularly helpful to know fo a 10-card fit rather than a 9-card fit?

Yes, the 10-card fit is particularly useful.

Suppose Responder has your average 5431. Opposite a 4-card super, maybe 4432 from Opener, Responder expects about a 66% chance that he can ruff twice in his own hand with the stiff, bringing the tricks from trumps up to six. If trumps split 2-2, anti-percentage, he might get two tricks from dummy ruffing in the 4-opposite-2.

If Opener, instead, has 5332, then there is a simple expectation of seven tricks from trumps 66% of the time.

So, the 5-card super-accept heightens the expectation that the stiff in Responder's hand carries full weight.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#31 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-23, 05:58

Ken said:

I play 3♦ as a 5-card super-accept.

Why waste 3D on the rare occurance.
Just have Opener accept with 4M when holding 5 trumps.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )

#32 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-March-23, 06:35

ONEferBRID, on Mar 23 2010, 12:58 PM, said:

Ken said:

I play 3♦ as a 5-card super-accept.

Why waste 3D on the rare occurance.
Just have Opener accept with 4M when holding 5 trumps.

Sure, waste even more space to gain nothing. What if responder has slam interest? Just stay low, keep more options open!

These days I prefer 2M+1 as my only super accept. After this, responder can still retransfer, invite light with a shortness, show slam interest, rightside the contract, show a second suit,... You may give away an easy Dbl after transfer (super accept is 2 here), but that's pretty much the only disadvantage.

In the past I played superaccepts showing a worthless doubleton. Was ok, although I never analysed the effects on opps knowing too much information, or if responder had crucial information to bid or stay out of game.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#33 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-23, 06:59

When doing some super accept we do need to face up to the fact partner can be very weak. This is something to be concerned about more at pairs than imps I think. I have never agreed with the principle that 3 level jump in the major should be any NT with 4 trumps.

I like 2N as 3 max with 2 hi honors
3 of the major 4 + all side suits controlled
off suit 4 max and losers in suit bid. , do not care if it is 2 or 3 cards (i have not given much thought to 4 bad cards)

I feel this works well when reaching for slam or thin games.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users