• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What now?

#21 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:11

jjbrr, on Jan 31 2010, 02:04 AM, said:

ya i guess it doesnt preclude . i could certainly pull whatever you bid back to X.

i just think 4N is showing good something, as opposed to placing the contract which shows bad something. i dont think i can bid 4N with stiff x in and relative length in their suits, though. right? construct a hand where i have stiff and still a slam try. there arent many hands.

x Ax KJxxx xxxxx etc, a slam try with any hand type is unlikely on this auction but I would guess a stiff spade is as likely as a hand without one.

Obviously a hand with 3+ spades is not possible since you would have raised spades to begin with if you had anything.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#22 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:20

if you bid 5 with that, im happy bidding 6.

if you bid 5, i pass.

edit: if you bid 5, i bid 6

edit2: does my number of really matter? the number of options on this hand are so limited that i will either bid slam or not depending on if you cooperate. im happy saying 4NT is ambiguous and forward-going. the important thing is you have 5 to cuebid. with spades i think i'll likely bid an ambiguous 5. i admit this is completely esoteric, but what else can these bids mean?
OK
bed

#23 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:34

jjbrr, on Jan 31 2010, 02:20 AM, said:

if you bid 5 with that, im happy bidding 6.

if you bid 5, i pass.

edit: if you bid 5, i bid 6

???

I'm saying "I don't understand why 4N should show a doubleton spade. It seems like it should just be a slam try in diamonds."

I don't understand what your most recent post means. My question is, "Why do you think 4N should show a doubleton spade as well as a slam try in diamonds, rather than just a slam try in diamonds. What relevance is the doubleton spade supposed to have?"

#24 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:35

ok you win. i agree it says nothing about spades. i edited while you were responding.
OK
bed

#25 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:45

i still think the range of hands I can have to bid 4NT will have 2 a huge majority of the time.
OK
bed

#26 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:50

my point is that you should never jump to 6 over 4NT unless you expect it to be the right spot given my range of hands. And I'll always have tolerance to bid 4NT. Therefore we sometimes miss the 6-2 slam, but we'll end up in the slam which will always have a fit. I'm skeptical you think we can have perfectly accurate bidding in this auction.
OK
bed

#27 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 02:02

jjbrr, on Jan 31 2010, 02:50 AM, said:

my point is that you should never jump to 6 over 4NT unless you expect it to be the right spot given my range of hands. And I'll always have tolerance to bid 4NT. Therefore we sometimes miss the 6-2 slam, but we'll end up in the slam which will always have a fit. I'm skeptical you think we can have perfectly accurate bidding in this auction.

I still don't know what you're talking about.

Jeremy said:

I'd try 4NT. No idea what it means, but it can't be natural. I hope it suggests diamonds with ♠ tolerance and better than 5♦ directly.

Jeremy also said:

with 3♠ i think it's crystal clear to bid 4 or more ♠. 4NT, in my mind, implies exactly 2. You may disagree with that, but that is what I meant by tolerance

(bold emphasis mine).

I simply questioned this assertation that 4N shows 2 spades. I wondered what one would do with a slam try that didn't have two spades. In my mind, 4N says nothing about spades, and simply shows a slam try in diamonds.

Jeremy later said:

i agree it says nothing about spades.

Ok cool, glad that was established.

Jeremy then said:

I'm skeptical you think we can have perfectly accurate bidding in this auction.

What? You're the guy who said 4N has the specific meaning of a doubleton spade, and diamond support, and a slam try. I'm the guy who said 4N has the meaning of diamond support and a slam try.

My meaning is less precise than your initial meaning (which you later agreed was wrong). How am I the one who is trying to have "perfectly accurate bidding."

You said something about partner not being able to bid 6S over 4N... well duh, I don't think 4N said anything about spades, so why would partner bid 6S? You said something about bidding 5H with spade support, how do you have a hand with spade support that is now trying for 6S/driving to the 5 level, but couldn't even raise to 2S to begin with?

You have said that there are very few hands with a stiff spade that can try for slam in diamonds, and asked me to give an example. I gave one, and you said:

if you bid 5♠ with that, im happy bidding 6♦.

if you bid 5♦, i pass.

edit: if you bid 5♣, i bid 6♦

I don't understand what that means? My point the whole time has remained that 4N says nothing about spades, so I don't know why partner ever bid 5S over it. I simply gave an example hand where 4N had a stiff spade.

I don't know why you think a doubleton spade is more likely than a stiff spade, a stiff spade with long diamonds is very strong on this auction, much moreso than a doubleton spade. As I said, a 4N bid is rare with any hand, but I can think of many more hands with a stiff spade that have upgraded to a slam try now than with a doubleton spade. Most of the time you had a trap pass of clubs anyways. It seems pretty moot though, as long as you agree that there are some hands where 4N is bid with a stiff spade, then you don't think that 4N shows a doubleton spade.

To reiterate the only points I've made are that:

1) I don't think 4N shows a doubleton spade, or says anything about spades (you agreed)
2) I think there are hands where 4N would be bid with a stiff spade (you implicitly agreed by agreeing with point 1).

I'm not sure why you think that those 2 points mean I think there can be perfectly accurate bidding? I think that 4N may or may not contain 0, 1, or 2 spades, spades is out of the picture, you're simply saying "I have a good 5D bid." I don't think partner will ever bid 5S or 6S over it.

#28 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 02:16

OK. You've convinced me my spiel about it showing 2 was ridiculous.
OK
bed

#29 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 04:39

I agree with Jeremy's unstated thought processes.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#30 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 07:31

Hi,

Pass.

Most likely I would have bid 2S the round before, but Pass
is not wrong, ... now Pass.
Of ocurse if I like to live up to my name I may try to sac.,
which obvioulsy could be a phantom.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#31 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 08:18

hanp, on Jan 31 2010, 11:39 AM, said:

I agree with Jeremy's unstated thought processes.

Typical Dutch polder politics. You are just trying to make everyone happy.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#32 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-February-05, 15:06

Originally my response was to bid 4NT showing a good 5D bid, but now I am wondering if we should just bid 6D and get on with it.

I'm certain we'll have 12 tricks.

I'm not particularly concerned that we are off two club tricks, because that seems unlikely given partner has such bad spades. My only concern is that we could be off two aces, partner could easily have KJ10xx Kx AKQxx x say. So I'd quite like to bid 4NT blackwood in diamonds, but sadly that isn't what it means...

I think I'll stick with the 4NT bid, but it's pretty close.

I think the passers don't understand how good a hand partner needs to double 2H in this auction. The actual hand was pretty minimum (although obviously improved a lot when partner showed a big diamond fit).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users