BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#3121 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-11, 16:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-11, 09:26, said:

Don't vote Republican; instead, send them your "thoughts and prayers"!

To restore the spirit of this thread I fix it : "bacon and avocados"
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#3122 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-March-11, 17:35

Don't Vote Republican; Instead, Drive a Zamboni
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3123 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-12, 09:48

From Dan Zak's WaPo story about online classes at MasterClass.com:

"I consider it an experiment,” Malcolm Gladwell writes in an email. “What intrigues me is how close online learning gets to face-to-face. So the best case scenario is if Steph Curry talks to me, one on one. But since that isn’t happening, how much can we approximate that kind of intimacy with a well-produced and thoughtful video class? I love it that someone is trying to answer that question.”

“All the greatest shooters are great at using their legs as the foundation for their shot,” says the NBA superstar, standing on a court. “They don’t shoot with their arms. They shoot with their legs first.” -- Steph Curry

Everyone has their own learning style. I've played countless hours with golfers who had solid golf swings, read Hogan's "Five Fundamentals" and watched "Fred Couples on Tempo" video until I was nearly blind. But the way good golfers use their legs, which is one of the keys to a good swing, eluded me until I followed Suzann Pettersen around the course one afternoon 10 years ago. I guess I just hadn't been paying close attention before then.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3124 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-12, 10:37

View Posty66, on 2018-March-12, 09:48, said:

From Dan Zak's WaPo story about online classes at MasterClass.com:

Everyone has their own learning style. I've played countless hours with golfers who had solid golf swings, read Hogan's "Five Fundamentals" and watched "Fred Couples on Tempo" video until I was nearly blind. But the way good golfers use their legs, which is one of the keys to a good swing, eluded me until I followed Suzann Pettersen around the course one afternoon 10 years ago. I guess I just hadn't been paying close attention before then.

Absolutely everyone has their own style of learning. Here i my golf experience:

My Boy Scout troop ran scores at the St. Paul open. Sam Sneed, "Thunder" Bolt, many others. It looked like fun. I bought a bag, balls and clubs at the Salvation Army and got up early in the morning to play before anyone else was there to collect fees. I took the view that the idea was to hit the ball with the club. So I did. I wasn't great, but not awful, and I enjoyed it. In college I took a lot of Phys. Ed classes, swimming, gymnastics and swimming I remember. The guy teaching the golf class had a fine reputation I gather pros came from far away to get a tune up from him.. It totally ruined my game. I kept trying to do what he told me instead of what seemed to work. The swimming teacher had a different approach. He made sure we stayed in the water for an hour each day, but he kept the instruction to a few simple points. One time I swallowed some water and went to the edge of the pool to hang on. He stomped on my hand. I got a good deal better at swimming.

I have come to think of myself as pretty extreme in how I learn things. I very much need to think things through myself. Group learning has become popular in many schools, high schools at least. It would not have worked for me. I happily discussed things with friends, but only for a while. Then I needed to get away by myself and think about it. No conversation, no music in the background, no nothing.

One of my memorable experiences was attending a conference on learning where one guy lectured for an hour or more on why lecturing was an ineffective style of teaching. I think the irony of this never occurred to him.
Ken

#3125 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-March-12, 11:29

From I Got A Story To Tell by Steve Francis NBA retired:

I remember the exact moment when I realized NBA legends weren’t SH*T.

My man Sam Cassell took me out the night before my very first NBA game. We were playing the Bucks down in Houston and he knew I was about to take his ass to the cleaners. But Sam is from Baltimore, and I’m from D.C., so this dude was trying to Jedi mind-trick me into thinking he’s doing me a favor keeping me out until six in the morning, giving me all this brotherly advice. We weren’t even partying, man! That was all part of his scam. We were out at some club, drinking ice tea or whatever, and he’s telling me all about what I gotta do to survive in the NBA.

After a while, I’m like, “Bro, I think maybe I need to go.”

He hits me with the, “Nah, what you need to do is sit there and listen to me tell you how to deal with these groupies.”

This motherf****r has me hypnotized. Then around 5 a.m., the whole vibe changes. Now he’s telling me how he’s gonna whip my ass the next night. I’m like, Yo, wait a minute …

“I’m telling you, Steve. I’m gonna bust your sleepy ass. Rest up.”

We walk out of this club and the sun is up. I gotta be at the arena in like five hours. I’m not even drunk. I’m not nothing! I just got Sam’s bullshit ringing in my ears and I’m feeling like I’ve been up for three days.

Man, he came out that night and dropped 35 points on me. I was so tired in the first quarter I thought I was about to pass out. Remember now, I’m a punk rookie on a team with Charles Barkley and Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon. These dudes are in the huddle looking at me like I’m not sh*t. Rudy T is looking at me like, “We traded 15 motherf*****s to Vancouver for this?”

I went like 4 for 13, and we lost. I see Sam after the game, and he’s like, “Don’t forget, we friends off the court, but on the court.…”

I’m like, “You slick mothaf****a.”

Lesson learned, though. Now I know the game, right?

Couple of weeks later, we’re playing the Sonics. I idolized Gary Payton growing up. So we’re on the plane to Seattle, and Rudy T sat me next to Hakeem on purpose. He knew what he was doing. He wanted me to learn.

We’re about to take off, and I’m sitting there with my big headphones on, listening to Jay-Z.

Hakeem is sitting there reading the Quran. Not saying a word.

Then he gives me a look. You know how Dream is. He’ll just look at you — super wise, super calm. Every word that comes out of the man’s mouth is like it’s coming straight from God Almighty.

I’m like, “What’s up, Dream?”

Dream says, “Steve.”

I’m like, “Yeah, Dream?”

“Steve, you walk around dressed like a bus driver.”

“Come on, Dream.”

“What are these construction shoes you have on?”

“These are Timberlands, man. Come on.”

“Steve, let me help you. Come to my tailor with me, and we’ll get you 10 suits. Custom-made. Cashmere.”

“Come on, Dream.”

“Cashmere, Steve.”

“Dream! Yo…”

“Come with me, Steve. Come to my tailor.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3126 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-March-12, 11:34

Fundamentals, judiciously practised and rigorously applied.
When swimming, do the hands dig deep or stay as shallow as possible?
When golfing, is the clubhead path to contact outside-in, as straight as possible or inside to out?
Even the application of vision and psychology are apt. Mentally seeing the action to be performed. Focusing on the object of interest. Choosing the smallest target possible. (My favorite and really applicable to my activities of golf, curling and bowling.)
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. :)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#3127 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-12, 12:45

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-12, 10:37, said:

Absolutely everyone has their own style of learning. Here i my golf experience:

My Boy Scout troop ran scores at the St. Paul open. Sam Sneed, "Thunder" Bolt, many others. It looked like fun. I bought a bag, balls and clubs at the Salvation Army and got up early in the morning to play before anyone else was there to collect fees. I took the view that the idea was to hit the ball with the club. So I did. I wasn't great, but not awful, and I enjoyed it. In college I took a lot of Phys. Ed classes, swimming, gymnastics and swimming I remember. The guy teaching the golf class had a fine reputation I gather pros came from far away to get a tune up from him.. It totally ruined my game. I kept trying to do what he told me instead of what seemed to work. The swimming teacher had a different approach. He made sure we stayed in the water for an hour each day, but he kept the instruction to a few simple points. One time I swallowed some water and went to the edge of the pool to hang on. He stomped on my hand. I got a good deal better at swimming.

I have come to think of myself as pretty extreme in how I learn things. I very much need to think things through myself. Group learning has become popular in many schools, high schools at least. It would not have worked for me. I happily discussed things with friends, but only for a while. Then I needed to get away by myself and think about it. No conversation, no music in the background, no nothing.

One of my memorable experiences was attending a conference on learning where one guy lectured for an hour or more on why lecturing was an ineffective style of teaching. I think the irony of this never occurred to him.

Interesting. I found myself in similar position in that I have never been much good at rote memorization - to learn something I need the cause and effect, the how of it rather than the why of it. I wonder if there is a way that bridge players learn that is different from the population at large?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3128 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-12, 19:35

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-12, 12:45, said:

Interesting. I found myself in similar position in that I have never been much good at rote memorization - to learn something I need the cause and effect, the how of it rather than the why of it. I wonder if there is a way that bridge players learn that is different from the population at large?

I am a strong believer that intelligence is highly varied, more so than people think, more so than can reasonably be measured.
I have a grandson in his first year in college, I was chatting with his mother. She mentioned how well he was doing, especially in math and physics, but he finds chemistry more of a challenge, mostly he finds it a challenge to get interested. I opined that physics and math make sense, once you understand the ideas you hardly need to memorize anything, while chemistry requires a lot of memorization. There is no reason that carbon should have an atomic number of 6, it just does (I think). My daughter was stunned, since he had told her almost exactly the same thing. My daughter's mother, my first wife, was (and is) an artist. Oil paintings and such. Bridge made absolutely no sense to her, but she could beat me at chess. Visualization, I guess.

Sometimes education people talk about how not everyone learns in the same way. Very true, but then they get off the track. Since not everyone learns in the same way, they somehow conclude from this that everyone should do group learning. No. We definitely need to learn things. There are various ways to go at it. And it's best if young people learn that they just might have more skills than they at first think. They find this out by trying.

Ok, I have platituded long enough.
Ken

#3129 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-12, 20:40

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-12, 19:35, said:

I am a strong believer that intelligence is highly varied, more so than people think, more so than can reasonably be measured.
I have a grandson in his first year in college, I was chatting with his mother. She mentioned how well he was doing, especially in math and physics, but he finds chemistry more of a challenge, mostly he finds it a challenge to get interested. I opined that physics and math make sense, once you understand the ideas you hardly need to memorize anything, while chemistry requires a lot of memorization. There is no reason that carbon should have an atomic number of 6, it just does (I think). My daughter was stunned, since he had told her almost exactly the same thing. My daughter's mother, my first wife, was (and is) an artist. Oil paintings and such. Bridge made absolutely no sense to her, but she could beat me at chess. Visualization, I guess.

Sometimes education people talk about how not everyone learns in the same way. Very true, but then they get off the track. Since not everyone learns in the same way, they somehow conclude from this that everyone should do group learning. No. We definitely need to learn things. There are various ways to go at it. And it's best if young people learn that they just might have more skills than they at first think. They find this out by trying.

Ok, I have platituded long enough.

Not to beat a dead...well, you know...but in high school the chemistry teacher tried to make us memorize the periodic table - I refused because it made no sense when it was right there in the cover of the book. I figured it was a tool to be used. We didn't get to use our books so I made a D in chemistry that semester. Right or wrong, it left me not wanting anything to do with the sciences after that.

#3130 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-March-13, 07:34

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-12, 20:40, said:

Not to beat a dead...well, you know...but in high school the chemistry teacher tried to make us memorize the periodic table - I refused because it made no sense when it was right there in the cover of the book. I figured it was a tool to be used. We didn't get to use our books so I made a D in chemistry that semester. Right or wrong, it left me not wanting anything to do with the sciences after that.

An extreme reaction! Once when I asked a girl out she replied "Me? Go out with you?" I gave up on her but not on girls.
But I sometimes think that many ideas about education come from people who have totally forgotten their adolescent years.
Ken

#3131 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-13, 10:08

View Postkenberg, on 2018-March-13, 07:34, said:

An extreme reaction! Once when I asked a girl out she replied "Me? Go out with you?" I gave up on her but not on girls.
But I sometimes think that many ideas about education come from people who have totally forgotten their adolescent years.

The hormones were raging at that time so it didn't take much to unbalance the decision-making processes. :(

#3132 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-14, 08:23

Words have consequences. From Daily Beast:

Three Illinois men have been charged in connection with the bombing of a Minnesota mosque last year that was allegedly carried out to “scare” Muslims out of the country. The U.S. attorney’s office in Springfield on Tuesday identified the three men as Michael B. Hari, 47, Joe Morris, 22, and Michael McWhorter, 29. The three men are accused of carrying out a bombing attack on the Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center in Bloomington, Minnesota, last August that caused no injuries but sparked panic in the community. They are also suspected of attempting to bomb an abortion clinic in November. It was not immediately clear why the men allegedly targeted the Minnesota mosque rather than one closer to home, but one of the men, McWhorter, reportedly told investigators the group wanted to show Muslims they are not welcome and “scare them out of the country.” Hari, accused of recruiting the other two men for the mosque attack, told the Chicago Tribune last year that he’d drafted a $10 billion plan for President Trump’s U.S.-Mexico border-wall initiative.

#3133 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-14, 12:11

This is difficult to read without becoming nauseated.

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A man who registered as a Green Party candidate for Montana’s U.S. Senate race was on the state Republican Party’s payroll and heads a newly formed anti-tax group, according to a review of election documents.

Timothy Adams filed as a challenger Monday against Democratic Sen. Jon Tester, who faces a tough re-election campaign, in a race where a Green Party candidate could siphon votes from the Democrat.

#3134 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-March-14, 15:52

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-14, 12:11, said:

This is difficult to read without becoming nauseated.

Yet another conspiracy to nauseat Winston by the Great Pumpkin? .... lol

#3135 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-March-16, 07:44

From the editors at the NYT Morning Briefing:

The reaction to our collaboration last week with The Times’s crossword column, Wordplay, was overwhelmingly positive, so we’re doing it again.

Each week, Wordplay’s editor, Deb Amlen, highlights the answer to one of the most difficult clues from the previous week.

This week’s word: aubade.

It was the answer to a clue in last Friday’s crossword: “Poem greeting the dawn.” (It might also be clued as “Morning music,” “Morning song” or “Sunrise song.”)

An aubade (pronounced o-BAHD) can also be a musical composition about the morning.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word was first used in 1678 and was adopted by the French from the Spanish word “alba,” meaning sunrise.

An example is John Donne’s “The Sun Rising,” which, if nothing else, suggests that the English poet was not a morning person.

With that, we wish you a wonderful start to your day.

Here comes the sun (doo doo doo doo)

#3136 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-March-16, 10:25

There is also the French : l'aube = the dawn.
I used to do the NYT for a while back in the late 90s, but the Sunday one was just too much like hard work ;)

#3137 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-March-16, 13:40

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-March-12, 20:40, said:

Last night at dinner my 4yo granddaughter talked about the egg-vinegar experiment. She does not know what chemistry is or what the periodic table is but she thought it was pretty cool to turn an egg into rubber. For Valentine's day my wife gave me a card that had these elements from the periodic table: Ni+Ce+As+S. Now I know what cerium is used for.

#3138 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-March-16, 14:26

This is what happens when you treat conservative politics as your religion.

#3139 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-March-16, 16:48

View Posty66, on 2018-March-16, 13:40, said:

Last night at dinner my 4yo granddaughter talked about the egg-vinegar experiment. She does not know what chemistry is or what the periodic table is but she thought it was pretty cool to turn an egg into rubber. For Valentine's day my wife gave me a card that had these elements from the periodic table: Ni+Ce+As+S. Now I know what cerium is used for.

Your wife is sending you a card full of arsenic ?

#3140 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-March-17, 07:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-March-16, 16:48, said:

Your wife is sending you a card full of arsenic ?

More arse than arsenic in this case. If there was also an element of subconscious intent, it was not fatal. Not yet anyway.

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook