BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 190 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#3781 User is offline   pilowsky 

• pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Writing, Learning, History, Politics

Posted 2021-July-21, 19:54

View PostGilithin, on 2021-July-21, 19:51, said:

Fruit and cake - well that explains everything.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek, J'ai toujours misé sur l'étrange gentillesse des robots.

#3782 User is offline   pilowsky 

• pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, Learning, History, Politics

Posted 2021-July-21, 19:58

WD Gilithin - it's a CDC heat map of 15-19-year-old pregnancies.
http://bit.ly/TeenPregUSA
This is what happens when there is too much freedom of expression.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek, J'ai toujours misé sur l'étrange gentillesse des robots.

#3783 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-22, 05:45

View PostGilithin, on 2021-July-21, 19:51, said:

Yes, well done. I was reading the article:

If teens were provided objective and in-depth information about condoms, birth control, and out of wedlock sexuality and romance, as well as linked to outside resources such as Planned Parenthood, they would have to tools and knowledge to avoid unwanted pregnancies and the whole slew of potential harm that sexual activity may present.

In-depth information about condoms: If you don't want to get her pregnant then it would be a good idea to use one. Is that in enough depth? And yes they protect against disease. Even in the 1950s we teens understood that much. It was easier to buy cigarettes and beer in the 50s than it was to buy condoms. That was a problem that has now been fixed.

Sex ed, like education in general, is of course welcome. But I think the number of teens who become pregnant because they didn't know sex could get them pregnant is not large. Young people need guidance from someone they trust, and that is not always a teacher in front of a classroom. Someone they trust is not always a parent either, and that's a big problem. Anyway, I am pleased to see that my home state of Minnesota is in the under 20 category. We Norwegians have good sense. You betcha.

Added: The article also talks of conflict with religion. This can be delicate, and, as often happens, I have a story from my youth. I was having a friendly discussion with a girl I was not closely attached to. She was Catholic and mentioned that she really did not like to go to confession. Non-religious me said, "It's none of their business". Her answer was a very sensible "Oh, I think it's their business, I just don't want to tell them." This illustrates the difficulty. She would not have taken kindly to a lesson that encouraged her to give up her religious beliefs, but there was a conflict. Talking with me could be a back-and-forth discussion, being in a classroom would not be as free and easy.

So it's a tough problem.
Ken

#3784 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-22, 07:51

View Postkenberg, on 2021-July-22, 05:45, said:

Added: The article also talks of conflict with religion. This can be delicate, and, as often happens, I have a story from my youth. I was having a friendly discussion with a girl I was not closely attached to. She was Catholic and mentioned that she really did not like to go to confession. Non-religious me said, "It's none of their business". Her answer was a very sensible "Oh, I think it's their business, I just don't want to tell them." This illustrates the difficulty. She would not have taken kindly to a lesson that encouraged her to give up her religious beliefs, but there was a conflict. Talking with me could be a back-and-forth discussion, being in a classroom would not be as free and easy.

So it's a tough problem.

The Catholic faith is primarily about guilt. If they have her feeling guilty about not telling them, and it sounds very much like that was the case, then they have in a sense already imposed their will on her and in effect exercised a form of control over her. My simple solution - have her give an extra $10 to the church collection every week in lieu of confession. I am confident the church would be more than happy with the exchange.

#3785 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-22, 07:53

View Postkenberg, on 2021-July-22, 05:45, said:

In-depth information about condoms: If you don't want to get her pregnant then it would be a good idea to use one. Is that in enough depth?

No, far from it.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3786 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-22, 08:30

Russel Gold at WSJ said:

A four-year-old startup says it has built an inexpensive battery that can discharge power for days using one of the most common elements on Earth: iron.

Form Energy Inc.’s batteries are far too heavy for electric cars. But it says they will be capable of solving one of the most elusive problems facing renewable energy: cheaply storing large amounts of electricity to power grids when the sun isn’t shining and wind isn’t blowing.

The work of the Somerville, Mass., company has long been shrouded in secrecy and nondisclosure agreements. It recently shared its progress with The Wall Street Journal, saying it wants to make regulators and utilities aware that if all continues to go according to plan, its iron-air batteries will be capable of affordable, long-duration power storage by 2025.

https://www.wsj.com/...ies-11626946330

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3787 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-22, 09:30

View PostGilithin, on 2021-July-22, 07:51, said:

The Catholic faith is primarily about guilt. If they have her feeling guilty about not telling them, and it sounds very much like that was the case, then they have in a sense already imposed their will on her and in effect exercised a form of control over her. My simple solution - have her give an extra $10 to the church collection every week in lieu of confession. I am confident the church would be more than happy with the exchange.

I will use this to illustrate the problem. Imagine a classroom where the teacher recommends that students who do not wish to acknowledge their sexual activity to the priest simply put an extra 10 bucks in the collection plate. Assuming that she has an extra ten bucks. Or maybe she could get it from the guy. I was confirmed in the Presbyterian church when I was 13 and I went through some turmoil, actually substantial turmoil, as I thought through my religious views. Anyone who dismissed my concerns with such cynicism would have been immediately and permanently placed on my list of adults who should be ignored. I am more relaxed about such things now.

Here is the point: If we are to have a classroom discussion of sexual behavior I would of course oppose any "Because God says so" approach, and I think it would be ineffective. But I also think that any approach that cynically dismisses the religious views of the discussants is doomed before it starts. If there is not to be a discussion, only a list of things to be learned, the students will memorize the correct answers, they will answer as required on the exams, and then ignore what was said. Question: What should a person do if they do not wish to confess to their sexual activities? Answer: Put an extra ten bucks in the collection plate. I get an A, right?

Any discussion that has any chance of being worthwhile has to respect the varied views of the discussants. This includes those who think sex should be only within marriage, whether or not this view is based on religion, and the views of those who are ready to get on with it as soon as class lets out, and everyone in between. There was a movement, again I think in the 70s, with the slogan "Sex by 8, before it's too late". The 8 was age, not time of day. It's ok to not respect that group.
Ken

#3788 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-July-23, 12:27

Matt Yglesias said:

I’d have gone with Cleveland Clinicians

Jonathan Lemire said:

CLEVELAND (AP) — Cleveland’s baseball team changing name from Indians to Guardians.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3789 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-23, 14:14

Matt Yglesias said:

I’d have gone with Cleveland Clinicians

CLEVELAND (AP) — Cleveland’s baseball team changing name from Indians to Guardians.

What about the Cleveland Burning River, or the Cleveland Rock and Rollers?

#3790 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-23, 14:35

View Postjohnu, on 2021-July-23, 14:14, said:

What about the Cleveland Burning River, or the Cleveland Rock and Rollers?

Given the association of the city with fighting men (cavaliers) and colour (browns), perhaps Cleveland Grays is worth considering? It would at least highlight one of the more interesting historical facts about the place.

#3791 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-July-27, 11:44

Fun app for bird lovers: https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

Share this topic:

• 190 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google