• Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2010-January-02, 18:47

2 = s & another, 5-4 typically 10-15 pts

1) When 2 gets doubled:

(1N)  2  (x)

we play
pass = prefer clubs to hearts
2 = diamonds
XX = not sure, maybe a decent hand with good long clubs?
What's best?

2) Scrambling
(1N)  2  (no)  2*
(no)  2  (no)  2?

2 said "show me your 5-carder".
Then we play play 2 as pass/correct, say 3-1-5-4.
Is that normal?

3) 2NT
We play 2NT direct over 2 as "bid your second suit, bidding 3 with 4-5 majors"
A delayed 2NT (after 2 - 2M) = natural invite.
Is that right?

#2 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-January-02, 20:47

Clearly you are right to invest much into best fit since your scheme volunteers 3-level often instead of 2-level quits.
Surely you have clear agreements after pushing opponents into 2S: when that is the 2nd suit or when it is not and when advancer intends penalty.
After X, XX= you bid 2D, partner and protect your side tenaces. Maybe I'll correct on my next turn.

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-02, 22:18

1) After 2-X-P, the issue is whether the 2 bidder is supposed to pass with five hearts and four clubs. So I would define the pass as either to play opposite four clubs, or to play opposite five clubs, rather than just 'prefers clubs to hearts'.

If it is to play opposite four clubs, then you can't play 2 with 4-5 opposite 2-2. If it is to play opposite five clubs, you can't play 2 with 5-4 opposite 1-3. But at least in the latter case the 5-1 may be tolerable so I would go with that.

I would play redouble of 2 by the responder as just a puppet to 2 followed by a signoff, leaving all others as correctable. Redouble by the 2 bidder should be long diamonds or spades, 2 5-4 with diamonds and 2 5-4 with clubs.

2) I also like to start with 2, not 2, with four spades and longer hearts. Then you can pass the 2 relay and play your best major fit. It is difficult if 2 can be longer in either major.

So your scrambling example would not come up as the 2 bidder cannot have spades. With four they wuld start with 2 and with five they would bid 2 not 2. I would just play this as weak with spades and the immediate 2 as natural and constructive (or forcing if you prefer).

3) I would use the direct 2NT as invitational as a 4-5 maximum with diamonds can just pass 2.

#4 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2010-January-03, 00:02

Thx Nigel.

1) I see how you use XX but what about 2?

2) I tried Asptro for a while but struck same bad layouts. Pd bid 2 spades & another with 4-5 majors and I bid 2 with 3-4-4-2, not keen to play the 5-2 club fit. So we missed our 9-cd heart fit.

3) Not to keen on inviting directly, since invitational hands with 3 hearts can be caught. As you say, if you bid 2, the auction may end.

#5 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-January-03, 10:50

For (1), a good use of rdbl is "bid 2 partner, I'm about to place the contract (or pass), regardless of your hand." This allows advancer to play in his suit, and also allows exotic things like fit jumps / non jumps for hearts for bids that do not start with rdbl.

(2) Yes, this is how I play 2 here

(3) Yes, this is the standard meaning for a direct 2NT. I prefer 2 then 2NT after 2 to still ask for the second suit, but after 2-2 both suits are known so 2NT becomes an balanced invite with stops in the minors.

One other thing is to arrange whether to anchor to the longer suit or take an "Asptro" approach and anchor to the weaker one.

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 19:51

shevek, on Jan 3 2010, 06:02 PM, said:

Thx Nigel.

1) I see how you use XX but what about 2?

2) I tried Asptro for a while but struck same bad layouts. Pd bid 2 spades & another with 4-5 majors and I bid 2 with 3-4-4-2, not keen to play the 5-2 club fit. So we missed our 9-cd heart fit.

3) Not to keen on inviting directly, since invitational hands with 3 hearts can be caught. As you say, if you bid 2, the auction may end.

1) Since pass is to play if 2 bidder has five clubs, 2 will only be hands with better hearts than clubs, typically 4342, 5332 or 3352 but could also be 5251 maybe.

2) If you do this to avoid a 5-2 club fit at the three level then the 2/2 bidder should probably show the longer major first so that responder with 3-3 (or 4-3 or 3-4) in the majors can always hit an eight card fit. That will then lead to a need for the scrambling situation you described.

3) I use: immediate 3 over 2 as GF enquiry and 2 then 3 as a signoff in opener's minor. This only works because 2-2-2 is known to have a minor since 4 and 5 is ruled out. That leaves 2NT as natural whether direct or delayed, but the direct one is more encouraging.

#7 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 20:59

nigel_k, on Jan 3 2010, 04:18 AM, said:

1) After 2-X-P, the issue is whether the 2 bidder is supposed to pass with five hearts and four clubs. So I would define the pass as either to play opposite four clubs, or to play opposite five clubs, rather than just 'prefers clubs to hearts'.

Pass with 5C4H, XX with 4C5H is an option

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users