Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multi 2D How to defend this?

#1 User is offline   bridgeboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-July-04, 08:23

Recently, there have been a rise of multi 2D usage. To put things to the extreme, we faced a pair that plays 2D jump in any situation as weak preempt in any major: ie: 1C (2D) is multi , 1C (P/X) 2D is multi, 1D (2D) is multi. We have some problems defending against such agreements.

Does anyone has experience against such multi 2D bids? How do you propose to defend against such convention? I must add that multi 2D here does not have any strong variations, only weak preempt in any major. Thanks in advance ;)

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-July-04, 08:39

If you play multi yourself, you may want to play something called multi-versus-multi. the following link will open Chris Rydal's descripton of this defense.

multi-vs-multi

This is what misho and I play. It works like this. So they open 2, most likley they have a major. Since ther bid shows potentially a lot of hands, this system does too. A double is an overcall in either major, or a big balanced hand, say 19-22 or 20-23, or three suiter with 19+ (with weaker three suites, pass first).

So here after a double, they don't know what your hand type is and you don't know their suit. But if partner can pass 2X you will find out thier suit real quick... now both you and your partner use Takeout Doubles of their suit...This is also true if responder bids a major over your double...

LEt's look...
(2)-X-(2)-X here, your partner's double is "negative" kind of thng showing 's. IF you have 's or huge balanced hand they are opener are in some trouble. IF you have 's you are ok, too, you can simply show your suit and relative stregnth wth your bid.

Ok, if 2 and 2 are no longer needed over 2 to show your suit when you ahve a major? Waht are they? Well.... here is rest of structure...
  • 2 = balanced hand, say 15-18 or so. Partner with can pass, or can correct to 2, also to play
  • 2 and 2NT = minor suit transfers, with super type accepts by partner to show some values. You might play something like this over your own 1NT openings.
  • 3 and 3 = preemptive type bids, not forcing. And here they don't know if they have a fit or not and what opener's major is.
  • 3/3 = michaels, showing like 5-5 in bid major and a minor
  • 3NT = big balanced hand, bigger than the immediate double, obviously need stoppers in both majors
Anyway this is fun to play. Take a look at Chris's webpage (link above) for more examples and a great write up.

Chris's webpage also list other defenses. The most standard is probably DIXON. You can find that on his page as well. Good luck, and since I told you about it, you are not allowed to use multi-versus-multi against me... (it is killer, so I don't want to see it used against me). :-)

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-July-04, 08:50

Playing what Ben suggested might be a problem vs non forcing 2d, which is what 2d is when there are no strong options.

#4 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-July-04, 10:51

When they overcall multi, it's always weak in major.
So use the 2 new available bids, 2 and 2 as different kinda cuebids.
Either asking or showing stopper. X as willingness to defend.

Mike ;)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#5 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-July-05, 00:53

Flame, on Jul 4 2004, 04:50 PM, said:

Playing what Ben suggested might be a problem vs non forcing 2d, which is what 2d is when there are no strong options. This method is simple and universal against any artifical/multi bids. Оbviously methods like multi vs multi are better, but impossible to make them vs large amount of different alternative bids. The only reason of existing of specialized defansive methods is artifical system restrictions.
Misho

Brown sticker convention - forget about it...
Most popular defense vs alternative bids like multi between experts is to accept one (more often or if equal higher) variant and play against it. So vs multi dbl is take out on , while with take out on - pass and take out later.
Misho
MishoVnBg

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-July-05, 07:09

Here's one simple way to defend the multi 2 (this is called Meckwell defense, I think..)

2nd seat:
X = 12-15 balanced or 18 any hand
2M/3m/3M/4M = natural (3M shows good hand and good suit, but is NF)
2NT = 16-18 system on
3NT = 19-22
4m = 55 with m and unspecified major (4 now for correction)
Pass followed by overcall is weaker than direct overcall
After (2D) X (2M) X is optional/penalty. No need to have KQJT9, but sure have points.

4th seat, RHO bids 2H:
X = take-out of hearts
overcalls = natural
2/3NT/4m = as above
Pass followed by double is take-out of spades

4th seat, RHO bids 2S:
X = take-out of spades
overcalls = natural
2/3NT/4m = as above
Pass followed by double is take-out of hearts

4th seat, RHO bids 2NT:
X = shows cards (just in case 2NT is a psyche)
overcalls = natural
3NT/4m = as above

Another possibility to defend the multi 2 is (this is due toCollings, I think)
2nd seat:
X = take out of spades or 18+
2 = take out of hearts
2 = natural

4th seat: as in the other case.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users