BBO Discussion Forums: Would this be cheating? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would this be cheating? and how can it be stopped?

#21 User is offline   duschek 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-31, 15:41

dellache, on Oct 31 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

This makes me think about something that really annoys me a lot against some (fortunately rare) dummies : some of them, instead of placing the cards "vertically", sort of "fan" them oblically (or even horizontally) on the table (suit by suit). Is this legal or not ?

It is not legal:

Law 41D: Dummy’s Hand said:

After the opening lead is faced, dummy spreads his hand in front of him on the table, face up, sorted into suits, the cards in order of rank with lowest ranking cards towards declarer, and in columns pointing lengthwise towards declarer. Trumps are placed to dummy’s right. Declarer plays both his hand and that of dummy.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-October-31, 15:54

aguahombre, on Oct 31 2009, 01:23 PM, said:

blackshoe, on Oct 31 2009, 12:03 PM, said:

But you don't expect others to follow your personal ethics if what they do or do not do is also within the laws and regulations of the game.

I neither said nor implied that I did. Was merely saying what does, or does not, come into my head while putting down the dummy. Your take on what I meant by proper vs. legal is accurate. It is a personal ethics issue not to be confused with laws, rulings, or expectations of the same from others.

Also, playfullness comes into play. It is always fun for me to put down half of my six-card support for pard's trump suit, then the other suits, then the other half. Usually Terry says "knock it off" before I get finished. :)

My "you" was general, not directed at anyone in particular.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2009-October-31, 16:57

duschek, on Oct 31 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

dellache, on Oct 31 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

This makes me think about something that really annoys me a lot against some (fortunately rare) dummies : some of them, instead of placing the cards "vertically", sort of "fan" them oblically (or even horizontally) on the table (suit by suit). Is this legal or not ?

It is not legal:

Law 41D: Dummy’s Hand said:

After the opening lead is faced, dummy spreads his hand in front of him on the table, face up, sorted into suits, the cards in order of rank with lowest ranking cards towards declarer, and in columns pointing lengthwise towards declarer. Trumps are placed to dummy’s right. Declarer plays both his hand and that of dummy.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaah thank you.
I hope there is no local french regulation that will overrule this much needed Law.

Tarring and weathering is finally going to take place.
FD

#24 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-November-01, 19:37

Hanoi5, on Oct 30 2009, 08:28 PM, said:

Let's say I, when being the dummy, always place the suit led on my right. If my partner is playing I place the suit led right next to the trumps. Are we cheating if my partner is aware of this situation?

What if I place the suit that I think should be played soon or set-up on my right? Would that be cheating?

What about writing down the lead (e.g. 5) on my scorecard as declarer and checking it while playing?

What if I do a weird play that will make my partner aware of certain situation he might not know on his own while being declarer? Let's say I have K432 from dummy and I ask for the 4. Would this be cheating?

The importance of this thread, as so often, is that if you are directing and someone calls you to the table and asks you, you want to have the answer right. The fact that much of it is "Much Ado about nothing" is not the point.

Nothing in this thread is cheating. It is not important enough.

Since the order of putting down suits is not specified in the Laws it is not illegal to put them in the order you want.

Participating in play is illegal, so #2 is illegal. Item #1 is too trivial to bother about. Item #3 is illegal since it is an aide memoire. And #4 is perfectly legal, and played since time immemorial by young Swedes to say "the contract is solid partner: you may stop worrying".

I hope there is no local french regulation that will overrule this much needed Law.

Such a regulation would be illegal.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-01, 20:29

dellache, on Oct 31 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

Regulations are not allowed to override Laws. There are some Laws that explicitly allow for local options, but this is not one of them.

#26 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-02, 03:31

Hanoi5, on Oct 30 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

Let's say I, when being the dummy,
What if I do a weird play that will make my partner aware of certain situation he might not know on his own while being declarer? Let's say I have K432 from dummy and I ask for the 4. Would this be cheating?

If you do this while being Dummy you are certainly violating Law 43A1c:
Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer
Also be aware of Law 45F:
After dummy’s hand is faced, dummy may not touch or indicate any card (except for purpose of arrangement) without instruction from declarer

Cheating is not the correct word, but such activity by dummy should result in a procedural penalty.

regards Sven

#27 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-02, 10:18

All I will say is somebody once said (don't ask me who, 'cause I don't remember):

Always place the suit led on the table last. This way partner is forced to inspect all of the cards in dummy before selecting a card to play in the suit led.

It made perfect sense to me, so thats what I do.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#28 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-03, 12:13

Because I have one partner with limited vision, and he has asked dummy to always be S=H=D=C (with trumps moved to the left in a trump contract), that's what I do (all the time, for everybody). Nobody has ever griped, even in a club contract.

Remember, in #4, that if you play this, you have to falsecard occasionally, or the opponents will use the information!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users