BBO Discussion Forums: Trying to look like I got bad news - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying to look like I got bad news spinoff from another thread

#1 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-October-28, 10:58

Would you read the thread "of course she doesnt have kqxxx " in the General Bridge Discussion forum. One poster offered a solution that I would have a problem with.

Is there a law that covers maneuvres like - "Trying to look like I got bad news" -

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 11:20

Law 73D2 said:

A player may not attempt to mislead an opponent by means of remark or gesture, by the haste or hesitancy of a call or play (as in hesitating before playing a singleton), the manner in which a call or play is made or by any purposeful deviation from correct procedure.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 11:25

Thanks. Was too lazy to search for it, but I was sure it was covered.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-October-28, 11:33

I just thought of something. Does the ACBL procedure for use of the Stop card violate that law? It says that you're supposed to pause for 10 seconds, and make it seem like you're actually thinking during that time. The purpose of this procedure is to avoid giving UI to partner, but won't it also mislead the opponents? Or is this negated by the fact that the opponents expect you to behave this way, so as long as you're consistent about it it doesn't really mislead anyone?

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-October-28, 12:16

I think the ACBLLC would argue that the regulation does not violate this law.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-28, 12:31

I played once with someone who, as declarer, showed notable disappointment/frustration after a defender chose to lead a certain suit...declarer adopted a sour look, slapped down his card quickly, and looked off into the distance in a "why me?" type of way. Turns out this was a ploy to get defender to continue that suit, which he did, and which permitted declarer to make the contract.

After which, declarer (who was friends with defender) asked something along the lines of "how did you like my performance?"

So, how does the quoted law apply to this behavior...is it unethical? Illegal? Something that the director could have been called on...and if so, with what appropriate ruling?

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-October-28, 12:41

Deliberate violation of the rules of the game is unethical, so yes, the declarer's action in your example was both unethical and illegal. If the TD is called on a case like this, Law 73F tells him to adjust the score IAW Law 12C. A PP would also be appropriate (I would issue a warning for a first offense).
--------------------

#8 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-October-28, 14:14

The guy who said this presumably (hopefully) meant that by cashing the AK of clubs and then shifting suits after they showed out, he would seem like he was abandoning clubs because of "the bad news." This is a fairly well known deceptive play.

Obviously if he meant he would somehow physically act like he got the bad news, that is wrong.

Nobody would fault someone who said they would play a high-low signal to try to look like they had a doubleton.

#9 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2009-October-28, 14:46

Jlall, on Oct 28 2009, 08:14 PM, said:

The guy who said this presumably (hopefully) meant that by cashing the AK of clubs and then shifting suits after they showed out, he would seem like he was abandoning clubs because of "the bad news." This is a fairly well known deceptive play.

Obviously if he meant he would somehow physically act like he got the bad news, that is wrong.

I'm the guy who wrote this and let me state again that I would never suggest to *physically* act like I got bad news (like grimacing, or looking upset as if the roof fell in).

That being said, the whole thing is usually not as simple as it may appear. Unless you always play like a sphynx and are absolutely pokerface all the time with no breaks in tempo (a la Helgemo), sometimes your behaviour maybe subject to caution. Let's take this deceptive play of playing AK in a suit when you really don't care at all what the oppos play (you just make a diversion). Let's suppose you are NOT always pokerface, and play *from time to time* in a very slightly more relaxed manner *when you play a noncritical suit*. Would it be considered as a violation of the law if you played AK in a "let's stay focus" way as if the suit *might* be critical. Where's the limit ?

That reminds me a board where I had AQx behind KJTx in dummy. Opps were playing in 3NT. Declarer played low to the Jack. I had to make up my decision of doing the classical deceptive play of taking the Jack with the Ace instead of the Queen, in order to convince declarer to use his last entry to hand to repeat the "working" spade finesse. Situation was not that clear for me : in some cases this would actually declarer to make an otherwise unmakeable contract ! So I finally took my time, assessed the different chances, and decided that playing the Ace was the most likely way of defeating 3NT. Declarer came back to hand, repeated the finesse, went down, and called the director.

His claim : "Taking 20" before playing the Ace is a mannerism destined to make me think he could definitely NOT have the Queen" (declarer was a strong player, and knew I could make the deceiving play). Director ruled to 3NT making 9 tricks. The appeal comittee maintained the decision, and I got a procedural warning in the process.

I would be glad to have your opinion.
FD

#10 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 15:31

My view is that if you do not have a pokerface and sometimes give away your holding because of that, it is your own fault. This doesn't give you the right to try and act a certain way to compensate for your lack of pokerface. Of course if you always had a concerned look on your face then that IS a pokerface, and you can keep it that way in all scenarios. Likewise if you always have a carefree look on your face you can keep it that way even when you have a problem. The key is maintaining the same look always. If you vary your face when you have a problem sometimes because you are human even though you usually have a carefree expression, it is still illegal to attempt to have the concerned face when you have no problem.

With respect to your director ruling/appeal, I think you got screwed. You had a legitimate problem, do you win the ace or the queen. Certainly winning the ace is an unusual play, not at all automatic, and you may take your time in deciding to do so.

#11 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2009-October-28, 15:45

Jlall, on Oct 28 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

My view is that if you do not have a pokerface and sometimes give away your holding because of that, it is your own fault. This doesn't give you the right to try and act a certain way to compensate for your lack of pokerface. Of course if you always had a concerned look on your face then that IS a pokerface, and you can keep it that way in all scenarios. Likewise if you always have a carefree look on your face you can keep it that way even when you have a problem. The key is maintaining the same look always. If you vary your face when you have a problem sometimes because you are human even though you usually have a carefree expression, it is still illegal to attempt to have the concerned face when you have no problem.

I think you stated it very clearly. The only remaining problem is that it may be very difficult for directors to judge if you really did violate the law or not, in borderline cases.

Does someone know why in bridge (contrary to poker) declarers are not allowed to physically-bluff ? i don't see any technical reason for that. Maybe an historical etiquette coming from the old days of bridge-whist ?
FD

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-October-28, 16:13

Jlall, on Oct 28 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

With respect to your director ruling/appeal, I think you got screwed. You had a legitimate problem, do you win the ace or the queen. Certainly winning the ace is an unusual play, not at all automatic, and you may take your time in deciding to do so.

If you don't have a poker face, can you instead bombard the table with a controlled, but consistent, aura?

I mean, suppose you just cannot help but look upset when bad things happen. You try to look normal, but it fails. Could you instead try something different, like always crying whenever you declare? Or, laughing like a lunatic? Or even feigning orgasm? ("Oh God! That's yet another hot hand as dummy!") Maybe just always bounce nervously?

Sometimes it's easy to cover up than to hide.

I thought of this the other day. DNA evidence is so easy to get now, that really big crimes are too damn hard. People try washing and wearing gloves and such to keep from dumping DNA on the evidence. Well, what about a different approach? Get enough people together who have all of the main alleles of DNA in the FBI top 16 loci. Have them give blood. Take that blood and mix it up. Then, dump the blood everywhere. Maybe even develop a DNA spray in an aerosol can, for sale to criminals?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 16:20

or just use the blood from one person in Arkansas.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 16:43

dellache, on Oct 28 2009, 03:46 PM, said:

That reminds me a board where I had AQx behind KJTx in dummy. Opps were playing in 3NT. Declarer played low to the Jack. I had to make up my decision of doing the classical deceptive play of taking the Jack with the Ace instead of the Queen, in order to convince declarer to use his last entry to hand to repeat the "working" spade finesse.

You really should've thought this through when dummy came down rather than waiting until declarer actually plays on the suit. Whilst you had a legitimate problem to think about, you should've known that a long tank before playing the Ace could have the propensity to mislead declarer into thinking that you could not hold the Queen given the usual effectiveness of lulling declarer into thinking a finesse is working requires the play to be in tempo.

I'm inclinded to rule in favour of the non-offending side, but I think a warning is a bit harsh as I don't think you've done anything unethical - just poor technique in not deciding what to do with your your AQ a trick or two beforehand.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2009-October-28, 17:10

aguahombre, on Oct 28 2009, 05:20 PM, said:

or just use the blood from one person in Arkansas.

roflol
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-October-28, 17:47

kenrexford, on Oct 28 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

roflol

Presumably, this means "rolling on floor laughing out loud". If this is the case, is the "l" in "rofl" ("rolling on floor laughing") silent? :)
--------------------

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2009-October-28, 17:57

blackshoe, on Oct 28 2009, 06:47 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Oct 28 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

roflol

Presumably, this means "rolling on floor laughing out loud". If this is the case, is the "l" in "rofl" ("rolling on floor laughing") silent? :)

It's sort of like a tree falling in a woods.

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 18:25

mrdct, on Oct 28 2009, 11:43 PM, said:

You really should've thought this through when dummy came down rather than waiting until declarer actually plays on the suit. Whilst you had a legitimate problem to think about, you should've known that a long tank before playing the Ace could have the propensity to mislead declarer into thinking that you could not hold the Queen given the usual effectiveness of lulling declarer into thinking a finesse is working requires the play to be in tempo.

Eh? If you need to play in tempo for the bluff to be effective, then how could he have known that failing to play in tempo was going to make the bluff more effective?

#19 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 21:43

mrdct, on Oct 28 2009, 05:43 PM, said:

I'm inclinded to rule in favour of the non-offending side, but I think a warning is a bit harsh as I don't think you've done anything unethical - just poor technique in not deciding what to do with your your AQ a trick or two beforehand.

I don't get it. Why does a slow ace deny the queen lol? The ace tends to deny the queen, but if they played a slow ace I would think they would be more likely to have AQ. Why does someone have to play a fast ACE with AQ?! I could see the case that a slow queen is unethical, but a slow ace? Jeez, he is falsecarding and making a highly unusual deceptive play. And he's doing it slowly! Seems pretty normal.

#20 User is offline   duschek 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-28, 23:48

There is a standard position where you hold the KQx behind dummy's ace. Suppose declarer leads a small card off dummy. As I understand the general interpretation of Law 73, after a clear hesitation you cannot play the king to conceal the queen, claiming that your bridge problem was whether to play an honour card at all, because you could then gain from your hesitation misleading declarer.

I am not sure whether the case is fundamentally different when holding the AQ behind dummy's KJ10 as discussed here.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users