Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

law 57 A France

#1 User is offline   bali 2 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-19, 02:56

" When a defender leads to the next trick.........the card so led .....
declarer may :
- require....of the suit led
-require.....of the suit
led "

I know that this applies to the current trick in play, uncompleted, but I find that it is not so clearly expressed, and some directors told me they have been confused, not exactly knowing il these words apply to the trick in play or to the trick led prematurely.

David will surely tell me that this is not the place to discuss these questions, but to whom , or where, could we have a competent reply ? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:
Al. Ohana

#2 User is offline   bali 2 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-19, 02:59

I tried to have only the words "lead" and "led " in thick, but obviously not succeded... :rolleyes:

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-October-19, 05:33

bali 2, on Oct 19 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

" When a defender leads to the next trick.........the card so led .....
declarer may :
- require....of the suit led
-require.....of the suit
led  "

I know that this applies to the current trick in play, uncompleted, but I find that it is not so clearly expressed, and some directors told me they have been confused, not exactly knowing il these words apply to the trick in play or to the trick led prematurely.

David will surely tell me that this is not the place to discuss these questions, but to whom , or where, could we have a competent reply ?  :(

Thanks in advance    :)
Al. Ohana

Law 57A deals with situations where one defender plays in advance of his partner when it is the latter who should play first in rotation. (Quotation from EBL Commentary on the Laws of Duplicate Contract Bridge by Grattan Endicott and Bent Keith Hansen.)

Declarer's choice between the three options listed in L57A applies when offender's partner shall play the card he has not yet played to the current trick.

The card prematurely played by the offender becomes a major penalty card (regardless of which of the options above declarer selects).

I hope I have been able to clarify that law?

regards Sven

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-19, 06:03

bali 2, on Oct 19 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

I know that this applies to the current trick in play, uncompleted, but I find that it is not so clearly expressed, and some directors told me they have been confused, not exactly knowing if these words apply to the trick in play or to the trick led prematurely.

Perhaps the way to think about it is that it is the "other" defender's turn to play to the trick in progress; this trick must be completed before the next one is begun. Also, it might not even be the premature leader's turn to play once the current trick is completed, so the major penalty card is not necessarily a led card (and indeed a card "led or played" is referred to, so the card is not assumed to be a lead). Therefore the words "of the suit led" cannot refer to that future trick; this trick is not assumed to have begun. (Remember also that in the leading paragraph of the section the premature lead is referred to as the card so led, so I think that a distinction can be made here as well.)

It could certainly be written more clearly, especially for translation purposes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-October-19, 06:49

Except that where it is just interpreting a Law "Simple Rulings" might be slightly more suitable - so I have moved this there - these forums are definitely the correct place to ask such questions. And do not worry about placing it in the wrong one of the four forums: Ed or I will just move it to what we believe is the correct forum.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users