BBO Discussion Forums: Making The World Safe From Sorcery - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making The World Safe From Sorcery Dumbell-dorf?

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-September-30, 10:06

Harry Potter author JK Rowling missed out on a top honour because some US politicians believed she "encouraged witchcraft", it has been claimed.

Matt Latimer, former speech writer for President George W Bush, said that some members of his administration believed her books promoted sorcery.

As a result, she was never presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

However, to keep us safe Rowling was placed on the Sorcerer Watch List, the Sorcery Alert System was raised to orange, and the C.I.A. renditioned 3 suspected fantasy authors to an undisclosed bookstore in Egypt.

Unfortunately, none of these precautions worked as a real witch is now Secretary of State.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-September-30, 11:00

Not sure why a UK author of children's books would be considered for the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in the first place.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-September-30, 11:06

PassedOut, on Sep 30 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

Not sure why a UK author of children's books would be considered for the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in the first place.

Wikipedia:

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is a decoration bestowed by the President of the United States and is, along with the equivalent Congressional Gold Medal bestowed by an act of U.S. Congress, the highest civilian award in the U.S. It recognizes those individuals whom have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors." The award is not limited to U.S. citizens and, while it is a civilian award, it can also be awarded to military personnel and worn on the uniform.

Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-September-30, 11:13

The GOP plan is starting to make sense, now. Consider:

updated 6:58 a.m. CT, Thurs., Sept . 25, 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A grainy YouTube video surfaced Wednesday showing Sarah Palin being blessed in her hometown church three years ago by a Kenyan pastor who prayed for her protection from "witchcraft" as she prepared to seek higher office.

So THAT was the reason for the Palin selection as running mate - to protect McCain from the likes of Rowling.

Ingenious.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-30, 12:00

Just to show that not everything runs in the same direction, our oldest granddaughter has always liked reading fantasy, of course including all of Harry Potter. Some years back, my wife was going to get "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" for her. This horrified my son-in-law. Apparently the book is rife with subliminal Christian messages.

I of course spent my childhood reading Batman and Robin, and we all know what those two were up to in the Batmobile.

And then there was the blatant promotion of drug use. Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall.

As Tom Leherer wrote: I could tell you stories about Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man.
Ken

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-30, 16:55

kenberg, on Sep 30 2009, 10:00 AM, said:

Some years back, my wife was going to get "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" for her. This horrified my son-in-law. Apparently the book is rife with subliminal Christian messages.

They aren't subliminal, they are blatant. C.S. Lewis is well known for his Christian beliefs and the beliefs are pretty clear in the whole Narnia series (check out The Last Battle for the most obvious one).

Even though I'm an atheist, this doesn't mean I'm saying the book series is no good. It is an enjoyable series of books.

#7 User is offline   MattieShoe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-September-30, 18:32

Obligatory Monty Python link

I am mystified by the whole, "somebody might read this and change their views!!" hysteria. Isn't that the POINT of books? Isn't that what makes them good in the first place?

For the record
1. I have read the Harry Potter and the Narnia novels, along with several hundred other fantasy novels with countless Christian and pagan allusions, motifs, themes... I've even read all of Orson Scott Card's Mormon propaganda books.

2. I am not a witch, nor have I ever been one.

3. I am not a Christian, nor have I ever been one.

4. Neither series is even making even a vague attempt to convert anybody to a new way of thinking. They're just stories that have borrewed ideas and made allusions to other works.

5. Pullman's series starting with "The Golden Compass" should be far more controversial, because it at least actually does portray Christianity in a negative light. While not quite as fun to read as the Harry Potter novels, it has far more substance to it.

If you actually want to read sci-fi/fantasy that could challenge your views:

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

1984 by George Orwell

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
This Immortal by Roger Zelazny

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

And yes, I left one out on purpose. Not trying to start a flamewar :-)

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-30, 20:03

Mbodell, on Sep 30 2009, 05:55 PM, said:

kenberg, on Sep 30 2009, 10:00 AM, said:

Some years back, my wife was going to get "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" for her. This horrified my son-in-law. Apparently the book is rife with subliminal Christian messages.

They aren't subliminal, they are blatant. C.S. Lewis is well known for his Christian beliefs and the beliefs are pretty clear in the whole Narnia series (check out The Last Battle for the most obvious one).

Even though I'm an atheist, this doesn't mean I'm saying the book series is no good. It is an enjoyable series of books.

To whatever extent I had a point, it was just as you say, the stories are enjoyable. Or at least so my wife tells me.

If I were to protect kids from some stories, I think I would start with Barney.
Ken

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-September-30, 21:22

MattieShoe, on Sep 30 2009, 07:32 PM, said:

Obligatory Monty Python link

I am mystified by the whole, "somebody might read this and change their views!!" hysteria.  Isn't that the POINT of books?  Isn't that what makes them good in the first place?

For the record
1. I have read the Harry Potter and the Narnia novels, along with several hundred other fantasy novels with countless Christian and pagan allusions, motifs, themes... I've even read all of Orson Scott Card's Mormon propaganda books. 

2. I am not a witch, nor have I ever been one.

3. I am not a Christian, nor have I ever been one.

4. Neither series is even making even a vague attempt to convert anybody to a new way of thinking.  They're just stories that have borrewed ideas and made allusions to other works. 

5. Pullman's series starting with "The Golden Compass" should be far more controversial, because it at least actually does portray Christianity in a negative light.  While not quite as fun to read as the Harry Potter novels, it has far more substance to it.

If you actually want to read sci-fi/fantasy that could challenge your views:

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

1984 by George Orwell

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
This Immortal by Roger Zelazny

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

And yes, I left one out on purpose. Not trying to start a flamewar :-)

Assuming a witch would deny he is a witch....this list seems like a good start.

side note I have read all of these books,many of them when young, but at the very least can we ban huck finn, call of the wild, etc...

I think we all can agree that Zelazny, Vonnegut and Heinlein, go...

As for Potter:
1) He is clearly a witch
2) Witches and Assoc are trying to make slave of humans
3) Other adult witches care less.
4) They will not utter "his" name let alone fight him with no name.
5) Most witches do not like Potter....I rest my case.
6) most think wmd is silly by "he who we do not speak"
7) ok ....lets just have a police action....please...

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-September-30, 22:23

JK Rowling missed out on a top honour because some US politicians believed she "encouraged witchcraft",

I wonder if these same US politicians recognize that "witchcraft" can be considered a religion, and would they ban authors who promoted other non-Christian religions like Scientology?

Motivations count.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-September-30, 22:57

MattieShoe, on Sep 30 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

4. Neither series is even making even a vague attempt to convert anybody to a new way of thinking. They're just stories that have borrewed ideas and made allusions to other works.

The party line of Christian fundamentalists is that any positive representation of witchcraft is objectionable, it implicitly promotes it by not condemning it. They also object to Halloween for the same reason -- it teaches little children to enjoy Devil worship.

This "logic" isn't applied just to witchcraft. Positive (or even non-judgemental) gay images are promoting the homosexual lifestyle, and being pro-choice is equated to promoting abortion. To them, "Heather Has Two Mommies" is a lesbian manifesto.

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-September-30, 23:06

pls stop

Have any you posters met witches.......

ok If you have no bias against witches...just say so.....

I guess you just hate anyone with any bias...

Of course all Christians hate Holloween.......geez.....and they hate the Prez.....

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-September-30, 23:13

Samantha Stevens was hot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users