• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deleted Post Censorship by stealth

#1 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-June-20, 17:48

Late last week I responded to a post which detailed very rude, harrassing and aggressive comments made by a td to the participants of a tournament. The tournament director's name was not mentioned, though the name of the actual tournament was.

My post stated, in effect, that such behaviour would not be condoned in ftf bridge and that that particular director would not be allowed to direct any more ftf tournaments had this happened here.

Much to my surprise the whole thread - the original post and my reply - has been deleted. No comment was made, and no pm sent to me as to why this action took place.

In my opinion, the original poster had a valid complaint. If anything had to be done to censor this post, it should have perhaps involved the removal of the name of the tournament. To simply delete the post, make no comment and perhaps hope that that is the end of the matter is unconscionable behaviour and is really censorship by stealth, something that I find totally objectionable.

I would like to stress that neither Ben nor Uday were involved in this. What I would like to know is why the thread was deleted and why no explanation was made.

In closing, I understand that there has been some sensitivity over the last few weeks with a number of posts regarding the running of tournaments. However this does not mean that such censorship should be summarilly carried out, particularly as the poster had a legitimate gripe. I find the lack of any notification or comment particularly disappointing.

Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#2 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-June-27, 09:42

We have no say about a lot of things on here. We have to play by their rules and if not, things happen. But then again I don't own this place. So I obey the rules, under protest...

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users