Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claiming Time Out Problem

#1 User is offline   7NTDbld 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-September-12, 22:57

Lately, when an opponent makes a "Claim" and the box pops up asking if you accept or reject the claim, you only have few seconds to verify the claim before it "times out" to a Reject. Why such an unreasonably short "time out"?

When the claim is made at the end of a hand, that's one thing. But, when there's several tricks involved, or it's done early in the play, there just isn't enough time to verify it. The fear of an auto-reject drives me to click "Accept". I'm a speedy player and definitely not a beginner, so I can usually think through most claims quite quickly, but not in the few seconds the "time-out" allows.

Please try to understand the dynamics that happen once a Reject hits the table. First of all, the opponents get highly upset. Why did you reject my claim? Or they say something more profane. My partner asks why I rejected the claim. I say I didn't. You did. No I didn't. Then who did? I don't know........... on and on it goes while the opponents splay verbal abuse at our obvious stupidity as they re-claim and re-claim, and we re-concede and re-concede. By the time everything settles down, everyone is upset, a lot of feelings are hurt, and valuable time was wasted, time that could have been better spent verifying the claim to begin with.

Whatever the perceived problem was that needed to be fixed, it's nothing compared to the nightmare that reigns now.

Please, let's get rid of the "time out". Things were just fine the way they were. If someone dallies with a claim, we'd just ask what the holdup is, and that usually solves the problem with a minimal amount of time lost, and no upset players.

Thanks,
Carol

#2 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-September-13, 08:54

There is not and there never has been a timeout on claims.

I suppose it is possible that you are experiencing a bug, but if so it is a very strange bug that to the best of my knowledge nobody else has reported.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-September-13, 09:08

There was a time (until a couple of months ago) when it happened very often to me that the claim was rejected almost immediately and neither me nor my p nor declarer would admit to having rejected the claim. I assumed it was my fault since it never happened when I used the windows client, nor did it happen when I was running under Linux. Doesn't happen anymore, may be related to me having upgraded firefox to the newest version.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Tola18 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats.

Posted 2009-September-14, 01:15

Yeah, funny rejects in entirely clear postions are quite common. It may be so many "advanced" doesnt see even simple endings with all cards visible. But it MAY also be some of the cases are some sort of bug. Hitherto not reported as bug, as there could be so many other reasons for a reject...

Good to know there is no automatic time out so you dont need to feel stressed. Tx Fred for this. :)
Cats bring joy and a feeling of harmony and well-being into a home.
Many homeless cats seek a home.
Adopt one. Contact a cat shelter!
You too can be an everyday hero. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users