BBO Discussion Forums: Lose a Swiss Teams with me #3 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lose a Swiss Teams with me #3 with apologies to Mike Lawrence

#1 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-26, 15:38

We lost a Swiss teams last night after leading going into the last round, mainly because of three slam (or not) hands. The third one is below:

Scoring: IMP

Bid these hands. North overcalls 2♥. Unfortunately you are not playing Kickback though perhaps you will consider doing so after this hand.
0

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-26, 16:04

1♠ (2♥) Dbl (PASS)
3♠ (PASS) 4♠ (PASS)
PASS (PASS)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-26, 16:15

I'm torn between 3♠ or 3♥ response to double.


1♠-(2♥)-X
3♥-4♣ 3♥ = any GF
4♥-4NT 4♥= agrees clubs
5♣-pass
0

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-26, 16:20

Cascade, on Aug 26 2009, 11:04 PM, said:

1♠ (2♥) Dbl (PASS)
3♠ (PASS) 4♠ (PASS)
PASS (PASS)

Me too
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#5 User is offline   olliebol 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2007-September-11
  • Location:Haarlem the Netherlands
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2009-August-26, 16:39

1♠ 2♥ D p
3♠ p 4♣ P
4♦ P 4♠ P
4NT P 5♣ P
P whereby 4♣l is real or cue for clubs 4♠ confirms cue 5♣1or 4

but more realistically east bids 4♠ after 3♠ :(
Olivier.
0

#6 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-26, 17:39

3♠ feels like an underbid to me with the likely side fit after a negative double.

Mark me down for 4♠.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-26, 18:22

Yes the minor cards are fitting.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-August-26, 19:52

Phil, on Aug 26 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

3♠ feels like an underbid to me with the likely side fit after a negative double.

Mark me down for 4♠.

Are you suggesting that 3♠ would be non-forcing? I'd expect the negative double of 2♥ (which may force the 3-level) plus opener's jump rebid to establish a force at least until suit agreement. I would not expect all those minor suit fillers to accompany a 4♠ bid.

Bidding 3♠ or 4♠ may be right, but it carries a certain amount of risk.
0

#9 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: 2009-May-03

Posted 2009-August-26, 20:03

I agree with Tim who wrote:

Quote

Are you suggesting that 3♠ would be non-forcing? I'd expect the negative double of 2♥ (which may force the 3-level) plus opener's jump rebid to establish a force at least until suit agreement.


My thoughts exactly.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )
0

#10 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-26, 21:26

Fluffy, on Aug 27 2009, 05:15 AM, said:

I'm torn between 3♠ or 3♥ response to double.


1♠-(2♥)-X
3♥-4♣ 3♥ = any GF
4♥-4NT 4♥= agrees clubs
5♣-pass

Why would you bid 3H?
I'm torn between 3S and 4C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#11 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-26, 21:32

TimG, on Aug 26 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

Are you suggesting that 3♠ would be non-forcing?

If I were suggesting it before, I will state it now.

3♠ is non-forcing.

This isn't the same as the sayc auction of:

1♠ - 2♣ - 3♠ which is forcing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#12 User is offline   WesleyC 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 878
  • Joined: 2009-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 2009-August-26, 22:22

East's negative double is fine but I think I slightly prefer 3C which gets the values of the hand across in one bid and guarantees the right lead if we end up defending.

I'd bid:

1S (2H) 3C (P)
4H* (P) 5C (AP)
0

#13 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-August-26, 22:26

gnasher, on Aug 27 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

Cascade, on Aug 26 2009, 11:04 PM, said:

1♠ (2♥) Dbl (PASS)
3♠ (PASS) 4♠ (PASS)
PASS (PASS)

Me too

Me three.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-August-27, 00:20

I prefer 3C to a neg double since partner can still introduce D with 3D. Switch the minors and ill double.



X-------3H
3S------4S

I think west hand is strong enough for 3H (i dont see why 3S would be forcing ? the neg double can be weakish 7-8 pts). East is strong enough to bid 3S instead of 4S. West is missing AK of C, A of D and the A of H plus he might have a S loser if they are 4-1 so i think hes got an easy soff.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-27, 01:41

Phil, on Aug 27 2009, 04:32 AM, said:

3♠ is non-forcing.

This isn't the same as the sayc auction of:

1♠ - 2♣ - 3♠ which is forcing.

Can you give an example of a hand that would make a negative double of 2♥, not respond at the two level in SAYC, pass 3♠ after making a negative double, and provide a good play for game opposite this opener? I'm not saying that such hands don't exist, but it seems worthwhile to try to make sure that they do, before choosing a committal action like 4♠ on a slightly flaky trump suit.

In my world, a negative double of 2♥ promises enough for an SAYC two-level response, so logically 3♠ is forcing.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-27, 02:36

The_Hog, on Aug 27 2009, 03:26 AM, said:

Fluffy, on Aug 27 2009, 05:15 AM, said:

I'm torn between  3♠ or 3♥ response to double.


1♠-(2♥)-X
3♥-4♣  3♥ = any GF
4♥-4NT      4♥= agrees clubs
5♣-pass

Why would you bid 3H?
I'm torn between 3S and 4C.

Because 4♣ sounds as a 5-5 to me. Playing 2NT artificial, I would double with some 2443 and 2353.


I play 3♠ as invitational, a typical hand would be

KQJxxx
xx
Axx
Kx
0

#17 User is offline   rhm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,092
  • Joined: 2005-June-27

Posted 2009-August-27, 08:44

1♠ (2♥) 3♣
4♥ 4 NT
5♣ Pass


4NT RKB (1430)
5♣ 1 (or 4) key card

I prefer 3♣ to DBL because it shows a game forcing hand while DBL does not
4♥ splinter in support of ♣ as a slam try is more important than rebidding the ♠

I would rebid the ♠ in a pairs tournament

Rainer Herrmann
0

#18 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-27, 08:48

gnasher, on Aug 27 2009, 02:41 AM, said:

Phil, on Aug 27 2009, 04:32 AM, said:

3♠ is non-forcing.

This isn't the same as the sayc auction of:

1♠ - 2♣ - 3♠ which is forcing.

Can you give an example of a hand that would make a negative double of 2♥, not respond at the two level in SAYC, pass 3♠ after making a negative double, and provide a good play for game opposite this opener? I'm not saying that such hands don't exist, but it seems worthwhile to try to make sure that they do, before choosing a committal action like 4♠ on a slightly flaky trump suit.

In my world, a negative double of 2♥ promises enough for an SAYC two-level response, so logically 3♠ is forcing.

I brought up "not responding at the two level in SAYC" to point out that some might think this is a parallel auction, where I think it isn't.

There are hands that would make a negative double of 2♥, but would not make a 2/1 in sayc, i.e., :

x, xxx, Axxx, KJxxx

and I think this is a clear pass of 3♠ after a negative double.

Maybe our standards are different for negative doubles here?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-27, 11:46

Phil, on Aug 27 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

Maybe our standards are different for negative doubles here?

Yes, they are. I thought we'd already established that.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#20 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-August-27, 12:35

Phil, on Aug 27 2009, 09:48 AM, said:

There are hands that would make a negative double of 2♥, but would not make a 2/1 in sayc, i.e., :

x, xxx, Axxx, KJxxx

Can't we wait for partner's reopening action with this hand?
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users