BBO Discussion Forums: How strong should partner be - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How strong should partner be wimpy Xs

#1 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-24, 17:26



East opens 4♥

WEST NORTH EAST SOUTH
_____ _____ 4♥ __X
P_____?


Seeing some of the wimpy holdings that have been used to direct X preemptive bids how strong do you want South to be?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-24, 17:58

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,996
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-24, 18:34

Does it matter? Im not passing.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#4 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-24, 18:35

gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.

Yes, agree with this.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-24, 19:08

gnasher, on Aug 24 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.

I see, so holding


and having his telepathy turned off (translation the ICQ server had a denial of service attack) he is supposed to guess to bid 6?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#6 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-24, 19:27

pooltuna, on Aug 24 2009, 08:08 PM, said:

gnasher, on Aug 24 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.

I see, so holding


and having his telepathy turned off (translation the ICQ server had a denial of service attack) he is supposed to guess to bid 6?

No, he has a clear pass.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#7 User is offline   maggieb 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 339
  • Joined: 2008-October-15
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2009-August-24, 20:10

I would just bid 7♣. How would partner know to raise me to the cold grand slam with ♠Ax ♥Axx ♦Axxx ♣Axxx?
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)
0

#8 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-24, 21:04

pooltuna, on Aug 25 2009, 08:08 AM, said:

gnasher, on Aug 24 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.

I see, so holding


and having his telepathy turned off (translation the ICQ server had a denial of service attack) he is supposed to guess to bid 6?

This is not a double of a 4H opening.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#9 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-24, 21:24

The_Hog, on Aug 24 2009, 10:04 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 25 2009, 08:08 AM, said:

gnasher, on Aug 24 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

Just strong enough for me to make 5♣, as that's what I'm going to bid.

I see, so holding


and having his telepathy turned off (translation the ICQ server had a denial of service attack) he is supposed to guess to bid 6?

This is not a double of a 4H opening.

You've been playing in the buffalo chips so long you are starting to throw them around everywhere if you don't think this is a X of a 4♥ bid. I have to ask, no matter how implausible it is, what call do you suggest South make?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-25, 00:32

South should be in the ball park of 15 HCP as a minimum with perhaps a bit less with some good distributional feature like a heart void or sharp cards.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-25, 01:41

This slightly dubious calculation may help to explain why it's unwise to bid more than 5♣:

There are 22 missing HCP outside hearts, comprising three aces, one king, two queens and three jacks. Suppose that partner has 15 HCP, and has no honours in hearts. Partner's average number of aces will be 15/22 x 3 ~= 2.

For slam to be good, you need at least an average of 2.5 aces. That requires his average HCP to be 2.5 x 22/3 ~= 18.

Even taking into account that partner will place more weight on aces than on lower honours, it seems well against the odds to hope for three aces opposite.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-25, 08:54

Easy 5♣. Not so much because we have the strength, but because we have the shape.

You won't reach perfecto slams most of the time when your opponents open at the four level. That's life.

Ron, the hand pooltuna posted is a routine double of 4♥.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-25, 08:59

Phil, on Aug 25 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

Easy 5♣. Not so much because we have the strength, but because we have the shape.

You won't reach perfecto slams most of the time when your opponents open at the four level. That's life.

Ron, the hand pooltuna posted is a routine double of 4♥.

Is Ron the blind one with the occassional acorn diet?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-August-25, 10:07

5C is not a weak-scared runout, it is a constructive advance after a double which does not particularly suggest takeout. But, I would feel like I should have bid 6 after choosing 5.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-August-25, 11:44

Over 4Hx you pass with all hands where you think you dont make anything and YOU DONT CARE if they can make 4Hx or not. Therefore a double of 4M preempt should show some hope of beating 4H facing very little.

Like a better than average strong NT or better. Or a shapely hand with at least 3 defensive trick.

5C making 6 is what i would expect at most expert tables.


IMO partner is favorite to have 3 aces here but he might easily have just 2 clubs. or you might have no wya to pitch the D. Give me the K of D instead of the K of H and ill surely bid 6.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-25, 14:16

gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 07:41 PM, said:

This slightly dubious calculation may help to explain why it's unwise to bid more than 5♣:

There are 22 missing HCP outside hearts, comprising three aces, one king, two queens and three jacks. Suppose that partner has 15 HCP, and has no honours in hearts. Partner's average number of aces will be 15/22 x 3 ~= 2.

For slam to be good, you need at least an average of 2.5 aces. That requires his average HCP to be 2.5 x 22/3 ~= 18.

Even taking into account that partner will place more weight on aces than on lower honours, it seems well against the odds to hope for three aces opposite.

This is worse than slightly dubious.

Hands with a few honour cards and lots of spot cards are more likely than hands with lots of honour cards and few spot cards.

Effectively this means that hands with a higher number of high cards are much more likely to be made up of aces and kings than queens and jacks. In fact it turns out that the average number of aces is very close to:

ACES = 0.15 * HCP - 0.5

ACES(5 HCP) = 0.15 * 5 - 0.5 = 0.25

ACES(10 HCP) = 0.15 * 10 - 0.5 = 1 (Most people won't find this surprising)

ACES(15 HCP) = 0.15 * 15 - 0.5 = 1.75

ACES (20 HCP) = 0.15 * 20 - 0.5 = 2.5 (People find this more surprising)

etc

This affect will be the same if we already know where some of the honour cards are.

So that when there are relatively more aces missing they are much more likely to be with the hand with a greater number of high cards. That is I think your numbers are lower estimates for the number of aces given the assumptions about how many high cards partner has.

I don't have a spreadsheet set up for the precise assumptions you made. But given our hand - 3 kings and a queen - and not discounting the heart honours I calculated that a 15 HCP hand opposite has an average of a little over 2.4 Aces and an 18 HCP hand opposite has an average of almost 3 Aces (2.98...).

While unlikely there is also the possibility that partner has a heart void.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-25, 14:40

5C.

I dont care what partner has, I have a 5 club bid, nothing
more nothing less.
Move the king of heart to anoher suit and I start thinking.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#18 User is offline   WesleyC 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 878
  • Joined: 2009-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 2009-August-26, 01:32

With no Aces and an ugly looking HK, 5C looks clear.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users