BBO Discussion Forums: High-level preempts - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High-level preempts

#1 User is offline   Walddk 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,190
  • Joined: 2003-September-30
  • Location:London, England
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2009-August-24, 05:35

A couple of bidding problems:

1.
Scoring: IMP

East opens 5♣ passed to your partner who doubles. What do you bid?

---

2.
Scoring: IMP

LHO opens a weak 2♠, partner overcalls 3♥, and 4♠ to your right. You?

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice
0

#2 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-24, 05:39

2x pass
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-24, 05:52

On first hand I would bid 6♠ if the eoduble was on the live seat rather than reopening.

I bid 5♠ now.


Second hand ouch! passing is the best way to reach 6 diamonds if partne reopens with a double, risks a lot if partner passes so it depends a bit on partner's style

With my partner I'd pass if I can do it quick, otherwise double rectifying to 5 diamonds.
0

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-24, 06:02

I agree with the firefox.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#5 User is offline   olliebol 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2007-September-11
  • Location:Haarlem the Netherlands
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2009-August-24, 06:15

on the first one would pass and i guess thatt a pass in tempo is best on the second one, it can be that r.h.o. has raised to 4 sp on a doubleton and for that he must have some values. at the table i dont think i can pass in tempo so i gamble double after long thought.
Olivier.
0

#6 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-24, 06:16

1) Very clear pass for me.

2) Wow what a strange hand! Partner has overcalled at the 3 level, and RHO has raised a weak two to game when they have only eight trumps. He must have expectations of making to bid like this, for example a running club suit.

So partner is void in spades, and all his values are in the red suits. We might make a lot of diamonds. I think I like a (takeout) double here, correcting 5♣ to 5♦, or raising 5♦ to 6♦.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#7 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-August-24, 07:55

1. Everything is a gamble, I judge the hand like Gonzalo, so 5 Spade for me.
2.I like the last reasoning for doubling followed by a diamond bid. I had not found this at the table, but this is my choice now.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#8 User is offline   OleBerg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,950
  • Joined: 2008-April-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2009-August-24, 08:29

1) 5♠ ready to accept blame.

2) Easy X
_____________________________________

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

_____________________________________

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.


Gnasher
0

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-24, 08:39

I think bidding on the first one is madness. It's a balanced 9-count with a misplaced ace and horrible spots.

On the second one I'm not as keen on the five level as some other posters. If partner has something like - AQJxxx xxx KJxx he's may struggle to take eleven tricks.

Assuming that we play double as takeout, I suppose I double, because partner may not have the values for another action and we might well be cold for game or slam. On this occasion, however, I'd rather be playing penalty doubles.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#10 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-24, 08:51

1. BBF regulars will pass because the hand is too flat. You'll get a lot of "WTP" answers too. However, ask yourself what a minimum double of 5♣ looks like. Is it a 4x1 14? a semi-balanced 16? How aggressive are your opponents? Consider:

KQxx, AKxx, Axxx, x
QJx, AKxxx, AKx, xx
KQxx, AKQxx, AKx, x

Opposite the first, 5♠ looks cold. Even with 4-0 trump, there are some possible endplays against LH) too. It looks like 5♣ is +500.

With the 2nd, 5♠ is still pretty good, although 4-1 spades could tangle things a little. 5♣ looks like its 500 or so, so passing looks slightly better.

With the last, we have 800 or maybe 1100 available, but we are also wrapping 13 tricks most of the time. We won't be able to bid 7 with much confidence, however, but I would expect pard to bid 6.

Since I think that bidding slam is more likely than going down in 5, I would try 5♠.

2. Pass. I have waffled on this 2-3 times already and my pard is barred LOL. RHO has to be bidding on power, since he probably has a doubleton spade. Similarly, partner could easily be bidding aggressively looking at a spade void. And, we have no guarantee of a diamond fit, although a 6-2 heart fit would play OK. I picture void, AQxxxx, xxx, Axxx as a typical light minimum action, and we are busting up 4♠, but change the ♣A to the ♣K or Q and I'm not quite as confident, especially if pard leads poorly.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#11 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-24, 08:59

Phil, your hand sample does not look realistic to me.
Partner will have a club void quite often.
Partner will have less than 4 spades quite often. In fact, he could have a doubleton spade - what else but double would you bid on Kx AQJxx AKxxx x?

I also think the minimum for doubling is less than what you think. You double any time when you think you are beating it, and when you think you may make a 5-level contract when partner bids with a very distributional hand.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#12 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-24, 11:08

lol wtf at bidding on board 1?
0

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-24, 11:58

gnasher, on Aug 24 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

I think bidding on the first one is madness. It's a balanced 9-count with a misplaced ace and horrible spots.

I don't expect the 5 club bidder to have any outside strenght, but rather that most fineses are likelly onside. I rather have 2 aces than 3 kings or some KJ/AQ.
0

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-August-24, 12:38

Easy pass at 1. If we make 5S we are getting enough at 5Cx to compensate. If we make 6 will partner always bid it ?

The 2nd is annoying but i have good values and they are all working. So double. But i dont thnik ill raise to 6 if partner invite me in H but ill raise diamonds
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#15 User is offline   MarkDean 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Location:Pleasanton, CA, US

Posted 2009-August-24, 23:08

1. Pass. Not close IMO.
2. 4NT - correcting 5C to 5D.
0

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-25, 00:50

MarkDean, on Aug 25 2009, 05:08 PM, said:

1. Pass. Not close IMO.
2. 4NT - correcting 5C to 5D.

I think 4NT should be Blackwood. We have double to show the minors.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users