3=bergen raise
3 make

Michael Sun

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-21, 20:04

Whoever decided PASS was forcing on this sort of auction. Or if no one then east for doubling without sufficient tricks.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2009-August-21, 20:35

A Mazel Tov to East who not only managed to bid the same values twice (with the X), but also managed to hang partner who should've been the one to make the final decision on this auction. Responder showed his/her hand, invited game, and made opener the captain all in one bid. (i.e. responder asked his/her partner a question.) Then responder didn't respect the captain's decision. Opener's pass is not in any way forcing. Opener made the decision for the partnership and East over-rode the decision.
I say force East to walk the plank!

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-August-21, 20:42

East does have one defensive trick. If opener has only four more, this double should work.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-21, 20:49

I'm guessing East thought pass was forcing, but I needn't see why this is the case.

I know players that think a limit raise creates a FP when we are vulnerable, but I've never seen the logic in that. Playing this method you get to choose between -730 and -500 probably.

I'm not enamored with the opening bid but it had little to do with the result.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-August-21, 21:22

West does not have an opening bid. That has to contribute to the problem. (For ZAR followers, it is 24 ZARs before removing 1 pt for Jx, making it not close to an opener even by his aggressive standards). Even I would not open West hand, and I am notorious for opening light.

But as others have noted, East has described his hand with the limit raise (both hcp, support, etc). His partner is the boss now. The only reasons he might double 3@S are:

1) He has some totally unpredictable surprize defense values that could not be expected on this auction (think two spade tricks).

2) HE thinks pass was forcing.

Well, pass clearly should not be forcing. So 2 is out, and he does not have any surprize tricks. So, the blame goes on EAST, but I will hold back like 10% for WEST's foolish opening bid. Making it 90-10%. I make it 100% EAST only if EW playing precision (or similar) and have agreements to open all 11 hcp hands.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-22, 01:59

east totally lost the ball. :o
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-22, 05:07

You've all already said it, East. In this case, I don't think it matters that opener's hand is not really a 1-level opener, responder broke discipline by the Dbl.

#9 User is offline   rd6789 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-22, 07:51

pass can't be forcing as we've only shown values for the 3 level.

I would say the X showed a hand with good defensive potential, not much in hearts and probably short spades - say xx/xxxx/Axxx/AKx - but this isn't a bid I woudl make at teams very often!

So east's bid is nuts with the hand he/she had.

West has a tough choice - I can't say I blame the pass - AH and KD look good and QC
richard

#10 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-22, 08:33

West for opening this 10+1 count ( treating Sp as x x ) , 8 loser hand in 1st seat;
but more blame to East for doubling with his 8 loser limit raise hand, whereby that Sp Q doubleton is next to worthless.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )

#11 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-22, 10:34

cnszsun, on Aug 21 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

Scoring: IMP

1-ps-3*-3
ps-ps-dbl-AP

3=bergen raise
3 make

Bad judgment by East
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users