BBO Discussion Forums: get in? (2) - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

get in? (2) North's delayed game raise

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-18, 16:48

Scoring: MP

PASS (3♠) Dbl (PASS)
4♥ (PASS) PASS (4♠)
?

Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-18, 16:52

yeah 5 diamonds now.
0

#3 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-18, 19:29

Pass, Nth has no idea what he is doing and has made the last guess on the hand.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#4 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-18, 20:48

5♦.

I would have bid over 4♠ last round, so not sure why I should sell out just because North made a 'cost-free' pass over the double. Happy to get both my suits in.

(OK, just noticed we are R/W at MP. Pass is more attractive than I first thought, but I think I still bid 5♦.)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#5 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-August-19, 06:28

5♦ now o
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-August-19, 07:34

Yeah 5♦.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#7 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-19, 08:22

X to warn partner
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#8 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-August-19, 08:47

Is 5♦ being bid as a potential sacrifice or because we hope to make?

I would presume the odds are against us making 11 tricks in either ♦ or ♥. Partner needs to produce at least 3 of these: ♠ singleton; ♦ A; ♥AKxx or ♥KQJx; ♣A.

If partner has other ♣ honors (not ♣A), the ♣ values are wasted in offence but not in defence. Defending should produce a plus score more often than not; and I will settle for Dbl. If partner has a hand suitable for offense, he could make the bid of 5♥ over my double.
0

#9 User is offline   effervesce 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 2007-March-28

Posted 2009-August-19, 09:23

Pass, which should be forcing as the opps were willing to play in only 3♠. I'm happy if partner bids on, or Xs.
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
0

#10 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-19, 10:08

effervesce, on Aug 19 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

Pass, which should be forcing as the opps were willing to play in only 3♠. I'm happy if partner bids on, or Xs.

North never had the option of playing in 3♠, your partner doubled it....
North had the option of bidding 4♠ before or after you made a call, and, for some reason, chose the latter.

If this was because his next bid depended upon yours, or just to confuse matters, you don't know. And there's no logical reason why a forcing pass should apply for your side based upon North bidding 4♠ the previous round or now. It would/could be different if he had passed 3♠ in a position where that might become the final contract.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:40

effervesce, on Aug 20 2009, 03:23 AM, said:

Pass, which should be forcing as the opps were willing to play in only 3♠. I'm happy if partner bids on, or Xs.

The opponents were willing to play in 3♠ Doubled which is quite a different thing than being willing to play in 3♠.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-19, 13:41

se12sam, on Aug 20 2009, 02:47 AM, said:

Is 5♦ being bid as a potential sacrifice or because we hope to make?

I would presume the odds are against us making 11 tricks in either ♦ or ♥. Partner needs to produce at least 3 of these: ♠ singleton; ♦ A; ♥AKxx or ♥KQJx; ♣A.

If partner has other ♣ honors (not ♣A), the ♣ values are wasted in offence but not in defence. Defending should produce a plus score more often than not; and I will settle for Dbl. If partner has a hand suitable for offense, he could make the bid of 5♥ over my double.

Partner did force to the four-level when we were a PASSed hand. The question really is if partner was willing to play the four-level opposite an average PASSed hand do we have sufficient additional offense to play the five-level ?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-August-20, 01:36

I love this shape, 5 ♦.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#14 User is offline   rd6789 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 2009-August-03

Posted 2009-August-20, 05:25

At teams I think 5D is clear - could be a game both ways.

At pairs more tricky but I do have an offensive hand so 5D probably again -
pass can't be forcing so I have to decide myself
richard
0

#15 User is offline   effervesce 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 2007-March-28

Posted 2009-August-20, 05:43

Cascade, on Aug 19 2009, 02:40 PM, said:

effervesce, on Aug 20 2009, 03:23 AM, said:

Pass, which should be forcing as the opps were willing to play in only 3♠. I'm happy if partner bids on, or Xs.

The opponents were willing to play in 3♠ Doubled which is quite a different thing than being willing to play in 3♠.

From what I've seen I think most times the opponents would bid 4♠ to make on hands that they would likely make 4♠ the first round as to give us less time to find a profitable sac or makable game ourselves, or to nail us if we bid wrongly on the 5 level.

Since everyone here seems to agree that pass is non-forcing however, then I still pass - your hand is missing too many aces to make the 5 lvl likely to make, especially with the fact that the heart honors the opps have are likely to be over partner's honors. The scoring also makes a vulnerable game not as attractive at MPs.
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
0

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-20, 06:22

Scoring: MP

Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users