BBO Discussion Forums: Run Forest? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Run Forest?

#21 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-14, 12:55

Would have bid 1♠ last round, but 2♥ is ok too.
2♠ now.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#22 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-August-14, 18:41

Ok, I ran, which happened to be a big success. Partner had an almost out-of-character 4-card overcall, so I really don't know if I was just lucky or if I made the percentage decision.



West doubled 2♠, and everybody passed. +470 after west led the ♣A. I could just work on clubs.
Michael Askgaard
0

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-14, 18:55

not lucky and not percentage, I think you made a great reading on RHO's quick pass, well done.
0

#24 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,162
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-15, 02:18

Hi,

Pass.

If I bid 2S now, I am basically saying my 2H bid was wrong.
I would have bid 1S the round before or 2S instead of 2H,
but 2H is fine.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#25 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-15, 03:09

Btw, I think more telling than RHO's quick pass is his demeanor over 1♥ - that is when he is deciding to trap pass after all.

As another btw, I very much dislike the overcall.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#26 User is offline   rd6789 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 2009-August-03

Posted 2009-August-15, 05:06

cherdanno, on Aug 15 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

As another btw, I very much dislike the overcall.

me too - and the 2♥ bid - and the pull to 2♠ - perhaps three wrongs make a right?
richard
0

#27 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-15, 05:14

3 wrongs make a random I'd say :)
0

#28 User is offline   peachy 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,056
  • Joined: 2007-November-19
  • Location:Pacific Time

Posted 2009-August-15, 10:31

No way running now. 1S the round before was better than 2H.
0

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-August-15, 11:46

IT doesn't matter on this hand why I didn't bid 1S the first time, but I would Gump 2S now. However, the reason I didn't bid 1S was fear that voluntarily bidding 2H on the next round might suggest more constructive values.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#30 User is offline   goodwintr 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 114
  • Joined: 2004-June-25

Posted 2009-August-15, 13:55

Does "modern" mean partner might have, say, x Qxxxx Jxx AQ98?
0

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-15, 14:24

of course, there is a thread about exactly that hand many times queted since 2002.
0

#32 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-August-15, 15:10

goodwintr, on Aug 15 2009, 09:55 PM, said:

Does "modern" mean partner might have, say, x Qxxxx Jxx AQ98?

Luxury hand. Modern means that pass over 1♣ denies a 5card major... :)

aguahombre

Quote

However, the reason I didn't bid 1S was fear that voluntarily bidding 2H on the next round might suggest more constructive values.


Yes that's the problem. We can only bid once unless forced so we have to choose. If we bid 1♠ we hope to be able to take a preference to 2♥ later. Otherwise our fit will probably remain hidden.
Michael Askgaard
0

#33 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-15, 17:45

x Qxxxx xxx Axxx is a clear 1♥ over 1♣. oh 3 more hcp? great:)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#34 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-15, 17:50

the point is that when you see your opps penalize you confidently, it often pays to escape. Sorry everyone, I still think 2♠ is clear. Whenever you have a rational escape route, take it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#35 User is offline   fred 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,616
  • Joined: 2003-February-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, USA

Posted 2009-August-15, 19:02

gwnn, on Aug 15 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

the point is that when you see your opps penalize you confidently, it often pays to escape. Sorry everyone, I still think 2♠ is clear. Whenever you have a rational escape route, take it.

Good post - I agree!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users