BBO Discussion Forums: Insufficient bid. - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient bid.

#1 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-11, 13:12

Txxx xxxx AKxx x. I don't remember the colors, but I believe we were vulnerable. IMPs.
LHO opens 1♠, partner overcalls 2♦, and RHO bids 1NT (which would have been semi-forcing without the overcall).

Do you accept or reject the insufficient bid?
If you accept, what do you bid?

If you reject (hidden):
Spoiler

"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-11, 13:22

I almost always accept the natural insufficent bids from lols, the damage is already made when, and they always just bid one more. So I better take advantage of the extra space, even if I have to jump for it.


But here it is a NT overcall, I will let RHO try to solve this mess himself.

After the bid I am happy with only 3 diamonds.
0

#3 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-11, 13:28

I accept 1N so I can cuebid 2S.

Just saw that RHO does not correct to 2N if we dont accept so we can bar LHO... That's sad. If I knew that was gonna happen I would reject and bid 3S because barring LHO is pretty clutch. I needed a wire :)
0

#4 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-11, 13:31

Fluffy, on Aug 11 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

After the bid I am happy with only 3 diamonds.

How can you be happy just bidding 3D with such a powerhouse, especially when it now looks like partner has a stiff spade and RHO has a weak hand with 3 spades?
0

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-11, 15:18

cherdanno, on Aug 11 2009, 02:12 PM, said:

Txxx xxxx AKxx x. I don't remember the colors, but I believe we were vulnerable. IMPs.
LHO opens 1♠, partner overcalls 2♦, and RHO bids 1NT (which would have been semi-forcing without the overcall).

Do you accept or reject the insufficient bid?
If you accept, what do you bid?

If you reject (hidden):
Spoiler

accept and bid 3♦
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#6 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-12, 03:02

pooltuna, on Aug 11 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

accept and bid 3♦

What's the point in that? You might as well not accept, see what RHO has, bar LHO and still bid 3♦...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#7 User is offline   effervesce 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 2007-March-28

Posted 2009-August-12, 04:09

Free, on Aug 12 2009, 04:02 AM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 11 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

accept and bid 3♦

What's the point in that? You might as well not accept, see what RHO has, bar LHO and still bid 3♦...

There's a wider strength range after (1♠)-2♦-(2♠)-3♦ than after (1♠)-2♦-(1NT)-3♦ because you could have only raised to 2♦.
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
0

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-12, 04:41

Jlall, on Aug 11 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

Fluffy, on Aug 11 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

After the bid I am happy with only 3 diamonds.

How can you be happy just bidding 3D with such a powerhouse, especially when it now looks like partner has a stiff spade and RHO has a weak hand with 3 spades?

I don't have that much confidence on opps.

having QJ10xxx opposite AKxx is a little wastage.

But now you mention I see most cards are gonna be onside, maybe I bid too fast. 5m is a long shot I don't normally focus on with thin hands.
0

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-12, 06:05

Surely accepting and bidding 3♦ is invitational? If you had a preemptive hand, you would reject the 1NT bid, which is guaranteed to bar LHO - nobody has a way to show a forcing 1NT hand over 2♦
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-12, 06:23

Didn't the new rules modify this matter?
0

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,485
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2009-August-12, 06:27

The 1NT bid was described as "semi-forcing". Do we consider this to be artificial? Other than having a wider range, does it differ from a non-forcing NT?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-12, 07:29

gordontd, on Aug 12 2009, 07:27 AM, said:

The 1NT bid was described as "semi-forcing". Do we consider this to be artificial? Other than having a wider range, does it differ from a non-forcing NT?

Not artificial! Prevents using 1NT with a GF hand because partner can pass with a balanced near submin and usually with 5 bad M
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#13 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-August-12, 11:09

Jlall, on Aug 11 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

Fluffy, on Aug 11 2009, 02:22 PM, said:

After the bid I am happy with only 3 diamonds.

How can you be happy just bidding 3D with such a powerhouse, especially when it now looks like partner has a stiff spade and RHO has a weak hand with 3 spades?

RHO might have a 2-card preference to 2♠ and not enough to bid 2NT invitational. I'd take the chance to bid 2♠.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-12, 12:15

gordontd, on Aug 12 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

The 1NT bid was described as "semi-forcing". Do we consider this to be artificial? Other than having a wider range, does it differ from a non-forcing NT?

Sorry, I missed the word "semi". Perhaps the director will tell us whether he's going to treat 1NT as natural before we decide what to do?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#15 User is offline   Flameous 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 475
  • Joined: 2008-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oulu, Finland
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2009-August-13, 04:27

I accept and splinter with 3C.
0

#16 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-13, 04:53

gnasher, on Aug 12 2009, 01:15 PM, said:

gordontd, on Aug 12 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

The 1NT bid was described as "semi-forcing". Do we consider this to be artificial? Other than having a wider range, does it differ from a non-forcing NT?

Sorry, I missed the word "semi". Perhaps the director will tell us whether he's going to treat 1NT as natural before we decide what to do?

The director told me LHO would be barred if I reject the insufficient bid.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,062
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2009-August-13, 09:39

gnasher, on Aug 12 2009, 02:15 PM, said:

gordontd, on Aug 12 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

The 1NT bid was described as "semi-forcing". Do we consider this to be artificial? Other than having a wider range, does it differ from a non-forcing NT?

Sorry, I missed the word "semi". Perhaps the director will tell us whether he's going to treat 1NT as natural before we decide what to do?

A "semi-forcing" 1NT response is not natural. It shows pretty much the same hand types as a Forcing NT, but opener is permitted to pass. Assuming, of course, that the OP meant the comment that way — I suppose he could have meant something else, though I've never heard any other meaning assigned to the phrase.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-August-13, 10:33

I think the director was premature in saying that LHO would be barred if you did not accept the insufficient bid. He should just state that if you do not accept, and the offender made the bid sufficient in NT, the auction would continue. A semi-forcing NT followed by 2NT would be substantially the same as bidding 2NT over 2D. It would invite 3NT.

However, that does not change my opinion that you should accept the call and bid whatever you want supporting diamonds according to your style. Your hand tells you it is unlikely the offender has 11-12 HCP with a diamond stopper and you need to use the space available to you.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#19 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,485
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2009-August-13, 13:50

blackshoe, on Aug 13 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

A "semi-forcing" 1NT response is not natural.

The question is whether it is artificial, which is defined in the Laws:

Quote

Artificial call – is a bid, double, or redouble that conveys information (not being information taken for granted by players generally) other than willingness to play in the denomination named or last named; or a pass which promises more than a specified amount of strength or if it promises or denies values other than in the last suit named.


What information does a "semi-forcing" NT convey that is not conveyed by a non-forcing NT? It has a wider range, but that seems to me to provide less information, not more.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users