BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#1 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-12, 13:25

Imps, we are vul

Scoring: IMP


1♦ - pass - 2♣ - (2♥)
pass - pass - 2♠ - pass
3♣ - (3♥) - pass - pass
dbl - pass - 3N - AP


ATB for not reaching 5♣. 4♠ might make but I'm not sure.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#2 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-August-12, 14:19

I think west is primarily to blame. I don't like doubling 3♥ and once partner pulls to 3N it's easy to imagine a running club suit and the ♥A as the only tricks available (before the defenders cash out).
0

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-12, 14:39

There are a number of hands for West that make 3NT correct from East's POV, e.g. AKx Kxx QJxx xxx.

You have to work harder to construct a hand for East that makes 3NT correct from West's POV. Maybe Jxxx xx Ax AKQxx.

I'd say West 80%.
0

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,099
  • Joined: 2008-November-21

Posted 2009-August-12, 15:05

3NT by East?! West had two chances to bid NT and declined to do so. Why on earth would East play him for Kxx?
0

#5 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-August-12, 15:14

I'd say more East than West. West has declined NT twice.

I like the hand construction from Nigel, but for his construction of where 3NT was right from East's point of view, he placed West with both missing spade honors, whereas west placed east with solid clubs and the missing diamond honor.

However, I don't think either player did anything egregious.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#6 User is offline   sathyab 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 575
  • Joined: 2006-November-07

Posted 2009-August-12, 17:01

Echognome, on Aug 12 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

I'd say more East than West. West has declined NT twice.

I like the hand construction from Nigel, but for his construction of where 3NT was right from East's point of view, he placed West with both missing spade honors, whereas west placed east with solid clubs and the missing diamond honor.

However, I don't think either player did anything egregious.

Or how about xxx KJx AKxx xxx, that's hardly an opener and 3nt is the most likely game for EW.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."
0

#7 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-12, 17:12

sathyab, on Aug 12 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

Echognome, on Aug 12 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

I'd say more East than West.  West has declined NT twice.

I like the hand construction from Nigel, but for his construction of where 3NT was right from East's point of view, he placed West with both missing spade honors, whereas west placed east with solid clubs and the missing diamond honor.

However, I don't think either player did anything egregious.

Or how about xxx KJx AKxx xxx, that's hardly an opener and 3nt is the most likely game for EW.

That hand would bid 2NT not 3♣.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#8 User is offline   sathyab 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 575
  • Joined: 2006-November-07

Posted 2009-August-12, 20:55

nigel_k, on Aug 12 2009, 03:39 PM, said:

There are a number of hands for West that make 3NT correct from East's POV, e.g. AKx Kxx QJxx xxx.

You have to work harder to construct a hand for East that makes 3NT correct from West's POV. Maybe Jxxx xx Ax AKQxx.

I'd say West 80%.

There are many bids here that even established partnerships might not have discussed.

1) Can West bid 2♠ over 2♥ without showing extra values, just as he would have if there was no intervention. Assuming he could, East need not bid ♠s naturally any more, as he's most likely looking for 3nt or 5♣.

2) Given the way the bidding went, what all does 3♣ deny ? As pointed out by Cherdano, it denies a holding such as KJx in ♥s. Could it also deny a hand that's suitable for 3nt opposite solid clubs, say a hand like Kxx Kxx AKxx xxx ? What would you bid with that hand BTW ?

3) East had an opportunity to bid 3♥ himself when 2♥ came around to him, which he would have had he had solid clubs and ♦A, as he has seven or eight tricks with a heart stopper and is allowed to play the opener for two more tricks. In view of his subsequent 3nt knowing that there's only one ♥ stopper in the combined hands, he must have solid clubs, therefore it's unlikely he has another Ace, especially the ♦A as that have could produced enough tricks with a single ♥ stopper.

4) And finally East could have doubled 3♥ himself, obviously West would know that East is short in ♥s. What would such a double mean ? If passing now and pulling partner's double shows solid clubs, should an immediate double show a broken club suit, warning partner that he not only needs a stopper but also a club filler ?

Tough as this problem is, in that not a single pair reached 5♣, imagine how much harder it gets if North bids 3♥ directly :)
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."
0

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-12, 21:08

What did the bidding mean?

Specifically how forcing was 2♠?

and what was the double of 3♥?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-August-13, 03:09

What would a dbl of 2♥ by East would mean in this sequence? Would it not be takeout (4♠ + ♥ shortage)? Presumably 2♣ was 2/1 GF, so West knows about the HCP.

I must be wrong because nobody has suggested this as a likely action for East. But I am curious why others do not consider this as a potential call by East...
0

#11 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,241
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-13, 03:30

Phil, on Aug 12 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

Imps, we are vul

<!-- EASTWEST begin --><table border='1'> <tr> <td> <table> <tr> <td>Dealer:</td> <td> West </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Vul:</td> <td> E/W </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Scoring:</td> <td> IMP </td> </tr> </table> </td> <td> <table> <tr> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> Kxx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td> Axx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td> KQxx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td> Txx </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> QJxx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td> x </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td> Tx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td> AKQJxx </td> </tr> </table> </th> </tr> </table> </td> <td>  </td> </tr> </table><!-- EASTWEST end -->

1♦ - pass - 2♣ - (2♥)
pass - pass - 2♠ - pass
3♣ - (3♥) - pass - pass
dbl - pass - 3N - AP


ATB for not reaching 5♣. 4♠ might make but I'm not sure.

I assume based on your post that:
1d=crap
so now I just x over 2h
2) assume 2c=100% game force
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-13, 09:05

Cascade, on Aug 12 2009, 10:08 PM, said:

What did the bidding mean?

Specifically how forcing was 2♠?

and what was the double of 3♥?

2♣ was a game force.

We hadn't discussed doubles here, but I generally play them as penalty.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-13, 10:24

Phil, on Aug 12 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

Imps, we are vul

Scoring: IMP


1♦ - pass - 2♣ - (2♥)
pass - pass - 2♠ - pass
3♣ - (3♥) - pass - pass
dbl - pass - 3N - AP


ATB for not reaching 5♣. 4♠ might make but I'm not sure.

I only assign blame to Lady Luck who took 11 HCP (all pointy cards) and created no possible chance for 2 fast tricks with them.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#14 User is offline   hatchett 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 589
  • Joined: 2005-November-02
  • Location:Moldova

Posted 2009-August-13, 12:00

I give West most of the blame. I don't really like the penalty double of 3♥ but having done this and to then see partner pull it I would not sit 3NT. I have a hard job constructing a hand consistent with the pull that has 9 runners in 3nt where we can't make 5♣. For a start for the pull I don't partner to have more than 1 ♥.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users