• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Hypothetical Question

#1 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-12, 10:12

This is just a "suppose" question. Suppose you had a local tournament and after it was over you started receiving letters complaining about a player's behavior, but no one had filed a player memo nor had the director given any penalties. What, if anything should be done?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-August-12, 11:00

Depending on what type of behavior, of course. But I suspect you are talking about intimidation. If you assess the player in question could handle a private discussion of the issues --not naming the players who wrote, you could try that.

If not, I guess you just have to wait until an incident comes to your attention at the table, then go from there. I would advise the players who wrote, that zero tolerance issues should be brought to your attention at the time they happen, so you can take appropriate action in a timely manner.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-August-12, 11:08

I think you should investigate, but the principle is the same as any late ruling: the benefit of doubt goes in favour of the alleged accused. And certainly you should tell people how much better it is to tell the TD at the time.

The EBU and WBU L&EC deal with problems every so often which start with a written complaint after the fact.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-12, 12:39

I would respond to those who have complained to you, my letter to them would include:

1) A thank-you for bringing the matter to your attention along with mention that curtailing this sort of behavior is important to your organization; and

2) A description of the ways in which the matter should be handled (either calling the director at the time or by filling out a recorder form and giving it to a director or the recorder).

3) A note that, although you will discuss the matter with the directing staff, there will likely be no charges against the offending player without either a director call or a recorder form. Also, that it is not too late to submit a recorder form.

I don't think that ACBL regulations provide for investigation by the President of the organization, but neither do I think there is anything which precludes a President from submitting a recorder form based upon the complaints received. If you think the matter should be investigated, that is the course of action I take.

#5 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-12, 12:41

If you have received a formal complaint within thirty days of the incident, you may proceed with a disciplinary hearing. You must judge whether that is appropriate. The complainants will be required to attend the hearing, either in person or by telephone, so you had best make sure that they are willing. If you wish to proceed, go to the ACBL website, locate the ACBL Handbook, and pay particular attention to Appendices B and D.

If a formal hearing seems inappropriate, I suppose that I would write the player a letter, stating the nature of the complaints, and informing him that formal complaints of this type will result in a disciplinary hearing and possible suspension from future tournament, Unit, or District activities.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-12, 22:17

having been victim in the past...not bridge....of people going around the back door, I would make damned sure that the letter writers --unwilling to voice ther complaints to the director at the time because that would require "huevos", are willing to back up their complaints in a formal procedure. Were the letters even signed?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-13, 02:17

I would deal with it because if he/she had upset enough people they might not come back to my tournament next year BUT I would check with the director as to whether anytihng had been said to him at the tournament and if not and there was no written record either would proceed with caution. If the alleged behaviour was poor enough then I would write to the person complained of to ask for his comments.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users