Opening Lead from National Swiss
#1
Posted 2009-August-04, 17:32
♥KT9
♦Q
♣KT9xx
You are in second seat, vulnerable versus not. The auction:
Pass - Pass - 1♣ - 1♥
1♠ - 2♣(1) - Pass(2) - 2♥
3♠ - Pass - 4♠(3) - Pass
Pass
(1) Three-card limit raise of hearts
(2) Opponents do play support doubles
(3) Substantial break in tempo
Do you double? And regardless of whether you double, what is your lead?
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#3
Posted 2009-August-04, 17:38
I lead the ♥K.
#4
Posted 2009-August-04, 17:47
awm, on Aug 4 2009, 06:32 PM, said:
1♠ - 2♣(1) - Pass(2) - 2♥
3♠ - Pass - 4♠(3) - Pass
Pass
(2) Opponents do play support doubles
Do you double? And regardless of whether you double, what is your lead?
I'm not sure about the inference for (2), since most ppl play a 1♠ response shows 5 over 1♥. Other than that, I'm passing with too many soft values rather than doubling. I must not be enough of an expert to lead the K♥ - I was going with the T.
#5
Posted 2009-August-04, 18:09
London UK
#6
Posted 2009-August-04, 18:21
#7
Posted 2009-August-04, 18:46
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#8
Posted 2009-August-04, 19:42
gordontd, on Aug 4 2009, 07:09 PM, said:
What do you think the RHO and LHO hands look like given the auction? RHO is a passed hand and bid 3S, and LHO kicked it in with a doubleton spade knowing that RHO is a passed hand.
#9
Posted 2009-August-04, 20:21
I would double them if they were vulnerable, the IMP odds are a little better, since I highly doubt they can redouble or make any overtricks, and if they were vulnerable there's a slightly greater chance they are stretching to game.
#10
Posted 2009-August-04, 22:09
No great feelings about the ♥T or K, but I'd lead the K.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#11
Posted 2009-August-05, 04:46
Anyway, by doubling you might be killing one of your spade tricks, you might need to ruff a diamond to recover from that, and leading low heart might blow partner's entry pematurelly.
So if you double you should not lead low heart IMO.
I won't double, and I think ♥K lead is best anyway.
#12
Posted 2009-August-06, 12:01
Declarer won the lead in hand with the ace, played a heart to the queen and a spade from dummy. Partner rose with the ace and returned a heart. Declarer ruffed in hand and played the spade king, then took a winning club finesse, returned to hand with the diamond king, and took another winning club finesse finally discarding a diamond on the club ace. He lost three trump tricks only, making four doubled. At my teammates' table the auction was 2♠-all pass and declarer managed to go one down on a club lead (I think he can make two, but this is very minor given the -590 coming back from my table).
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#13
Posted 2009-August-06, 12:31
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 01:01 PM, said:
I completely disagree with this statement.
Given partner's choice of overcalls, I think your actions are 100% reasonable and you shouldn't blame yourself entirely, if at all, for this result. I would expect the 4th seat vulnerable overcall to be more substantial than this hand is. (I would choose a 2N bid over 1H, but only if all of the pass cards have been removed from my bidding box).
Additionally, if you had managed to beat 4S x'd by 2 tricks and come back to the table +300, everyone would be happy.
So many experts, not enough X cards.
#14
Posted 2009-August-06, 13:51
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 01:01 PM, said:
No blame at all to the person who made a 1♥ overcall on ♠Ax ♥Jxxxxx ♦Jxxxx ♣-?
#15
Posted 2009-August-06, 13:54
TimG, on Aug 6 2009, 02:51 PM, said:
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 01:01 PM, said:
No blame at all to the person who made a 1♥ overcall on ♠Ax ♥Jxxxxx ♦Jxxxx ♣-?
WHAT????? And warn partner??
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#16
Posted 2009-August-06, 13:55
TimG, on Aug 6 2009, 02:51 PM, said:
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 01:01 PM, said:
No blame at all to the person who made a 1♥ overcall on ♠Ax ♥Jxxxxx ♦Jxxxx ♣-?
What other call do you suggest?
#17
Posted 2009-August-06, 15:58
Partner's 1♥ overcall is normal bridge as far as I'm concerned (I wouldn't pass a 6-5 hand with a void in the opponents suit when I can name my longest suit at the one level... would you?)
Of course, it could well be that my lead was a normal lead (certainly looks that way from the posts here). But in a high-level event, a lot of the IMPs are swung on reasonable actions that "didn't work out" rather than on boneheaded actions. This is such an example.
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#18
Posted 2009-August-06, 16:10
#19
Posted 2009-August-06, 16:20
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 10:58 PM, said:
You didn't warn us of that when you asked us what we would lead
London UK
#20
Posted 2009-August-06, 17:58
cherdanno, on Aug 6 2009, 02:55 PM, said:
TimG, on Aug 6 2009, 02:51 PM, said:
awm, on Aug 6 2009, 01:01 PM, said:
No blame at all to the person who made a 1♥ overcall on ♠Ax ♥Jxxxxx ♦Jxxxx ♣-?
What other call do you suggest?
2NT comes to mind. 1♥ has shades of trying to mastermind the auction
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

Help
