BBO Discussion Forums: A bidding poll - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bidding poll Balance or pass?

Poll: Your choice is: (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Your choice is:

  1. Pass (22 votes [59.46%])

    Percentage of vote: 59.46%

  2. Double and it's penalty (1 votes [2.70%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.70%

  3. Double and it's takeout (1 votes [2.70%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.70%

  4. Double and it's cooperative (10 votes [27.03%])

    Percentage of vote: 27.03%

  5. Double and it has some other meaning (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. 2NT and it's to play (2 votes [5.41%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.41%

  7. 2NT and it's for minors (1 votes [2.70%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.70%

  8. 3C (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  9. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,717
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-July-26, 23:03

IMPs, all white. You hold in first seat:

♠AKx
♥xx
♦QJTx
♣xxxx

The auction:

Pass - Pass - 1♥ - 1♠
1NT - 2♠ - Pass - Pass

What's your call?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-26, 23:14

Normal PASS.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-26, 23:17

oh, thought it was a lead problem.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#4 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-27, 03:08

This sounds strange, but doubling with the trump AK is frequently wrong.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-27, 03:56

Double would be optional / cooperative, and 2NT is for the
minors.

I think I would go with X, but my partners dont open very
light in 3rd seat, i.e. I am pretty sure we have at least half
of the pot, and that we hold the majority of points is fairly
likely.

If you regular open light in 3rd seat, you should pass.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#6 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-27, 11:51

I'd pass, though it's close to a double (cooperative).
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#7 User is online   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,955
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-July-27, 13:53

skaeran, on Jul 27 2009, 12:51 PM, said:

I'd pass, though it's close to a double (cooperative).

agreed
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-July-27, 14:00

My choices in order of priority:

Pass
Double (cooperative), a close second
2N (minors), a very distant third

I would never consider any of the other choices as a valid option.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-July-27, 14:05

I would (happily) double at MPS or BAM

As is, the risk reward ratio is too out of whack to be willing to double at IMPs
Alderaan delenda est
0

#10 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-July-27, 14:31

Somewhat depends on whether you open light in 1st seat or 3rd. If partner has a real opener then the X is DSIP but it is closer to pass as card placement rates to be bad for your side
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-27, 15:44

pooltuna, on Jul 28 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

DSIP

?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:21

What do you lead against 2♠?
0

#13 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:23

Cascade, on Jul 27 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Jul 28 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

DSIP

?

"Do Something Intelligent, Partner"
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#14 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:25

I'd make the cooperative double. A little bit surprised to find myself in the minority here.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#15 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:27

I would pass.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:32

If it is close to a double, then 3 rounds of spades seem right. but might change my mind when dummy appears after first trump.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-27, 16:38

TimG, on Jul 27 2009, 10:21 PM, said:

What do you lead against 2♠?

I would probably lead ♦Q
0

#18 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-July-27, 17:23

I like using double as penalty here but I know that's not good at imp's.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-27, 17:46

TimG, on Jul 28 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

What do you lead against 2♠?

Heart I might get a ruff.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-July-27, 22:49

I think 2NT should be natural in the same way as

1♥-1NT-2♥-p
p-2NT

and

3♥-3NT-4♥-p
p-4NT

are natural. You may argue that the above 2 examples are extremely different from this one but I think it's best to have the same agreement cause it would be difficult to draw the line somewhere.

(i'd pass though.)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users