Double? or go quietly?
#1
Posted 2009-July-22, 23:02
♥xx
♦KJTx
♣AQx
You see one of the following two auctions, red vs. white at IMPs:
4♣(1) - Pass - 4♥(2) - ???
(1) A good 4♥ bid
(2) To play
OR
4♥ - Pass - Pass - ???
Do you double in either auction?
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#2
Posted 2009-July-22, 23:38
Double of 4♥ opening seems a WTP. I guess there are arguments against double after the 4♣ opening but I still have a decent hand with relatively short hearts, so double.
#3
Posted 2009-July-23, 01:55
#4
Posted 2009-July-23, 11:45
I actually hope that the real hand shows that pass was the best action... I have long been a coward here, and often get ribbed by partners/teammates when wrong (funny how they rarely congratulate me for discretion when right).
#5
Posted 2009-July-23, 11:55
#6
Posted 2009-July-23, 12:37
#7
Posted 2009-July-23, 13:24
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 01:37 PM, said:
When you wrap 4S you get pretty rich!
#8
Posted 2009-July-23, 14:07
Jlall, on Jul 23 2009, 02:24 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 01:37 PM, said:
When you wrap 4S you get pretty rich!
True. I'll remember that when I don't have a 14 count with bad spades and a doubleton heart.
#9
Posted 2009-July-23, 15:19
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 01:37 PM, said:
FWIW I held the partner hand and I included in my reasoning that the double in the Namyats auction was more likely to be shaped than to be a good balanced hand with 42 or so in the majors for this exact reason.
#10
Posted 2009-July-23, 15:53
xcurt, on Jul 23 2009, 04:19 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 01:37 PM, said:
FWIW I held the partner hand and I included in my reasoning that the double in the Namyats auction was more likely to be shaped than to be a good balanced hand with 42 or so in the majors for this exact reason.
(Sorry for the digression but it's a good opportunity)
I prefer to play something like the following over 4♣ Namyats.
Double 4♣: Takeout of hearts
Double 4♣ then double 4♥: Stronger takeout of hearts. Double then pass is more like a hand slightly worse than this to a hand about a queen better than this (with this shape).
Pass then double 4♥: Penalty, often strong balanced
Overcall 4♦: Diamonds and spades (NLM haha)
Overcall 4♥: Clubs and spades
Overcall 4NT: Minors
Pass then overcall 4NT: Natural
This shows why (in theory) I think Namyats is a completely terrible convention. You let the opponents get a lot more important hand types in and take almost all the pressure off the opponent in direct seat. They can break up the strength of their takeout, show all specific two suited combinations, overcall with a natural notrump, and get a free penalty double. When you combine that you also make their life similarly easier over the 3NT opening (as opponent to opening a natural 4 of a minor) as long as they are willing to make some relatively simple agreements then I just don't get it.
#11
Posted 2009-July-23, 15:53
#12
Posted 2009-July-23, 16:05
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 04:53 PM, said:
xcurt, on Jul 23 2009, 04:19 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 01:37 PM, said:
FWIW I held the partner hand and I included in my reasoning that the double in the Namyats auction was more likely to be shaped than to be a good balanced hand with 42 or so in the majors for this exact reason.
(Sorry for the digression but it's a good opportunity)
I prefer to play something like the following over 4♣ Namyats.
Double 4♣: Takeout of hearts
Double 4♣ then double 4♥: Stronger takeout of hearts. Double then pass is more like a hand slightly worse than this to a hand about a queen better than this (with this shape).
Pass then double 4♥: Penalty, often strong balanced
Overcall 4♦: Diamonds and spades (NLM haha)
Overcall 4♥: Clubs and spades
Overcall 4NT: Minors
Pass then overcall 4NT: Natural
This shows why (in theory) I think Namyats is a completely terrible convention. You let the opponents get a lot more important hand types in and take almost all the pressure off the opponent in direct seat. They can break up the strength of their takeout, show all specific two suited combinations, overcall with a natural notrump, and get a free penalty double. When you combine that you also make their life similarly easier over the 3NT opening (as opponent to opening a natural 4 of a minor) as long as they are willing to make some relatively simple agreements then I just don't get it.
you make some valid points, and at the risk of diverting thread further, are you as confident about your defences to a modified namyats that I play: 4♣ non-solid good 4 level major, 4♦ no-loser suit good 4 level major?
Especially opposite 4♦, responder will virtually always know the suit whenever he has slam aspirations. This style, as with all transfer preempts, does suffer from the flaw that an opp can pass in direct seat with almost complete assurance of being able to bid later, but the ambiguity means that you don't get your full scheme in direct seat.... in particular, it seems difficult to play (effectively) that double of either opening is takeout of a particular major
#13
Posted 2009-July-23, 17:16
MFA, on Jul 23 2009, 04:53 PM, said:
Agree with this and I'm a lot closer to a pass on the 2nd auction than a bid on the first.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#14
Posted 2009-July-23, 17:18
mikeh, on Jul 23 2009, 05:05 PM, said:
You get this approved?
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#15
Posted 2009-July-23, 19:22
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 04:53 PM, said:
Isn't this missing the point?
The alternatives to Namyats are to open at the one level which also lets opponents in easily or an overweight preeempt that risks missing slam. The fact that 4C is easier to play against than 4H doesn't really show that it's a bad convention.
I don't play it just because I am unwilling to give up four of a minor preempts but have toyed with the idea of using a 3NT opening on the Namyats hand type.
#16
Posted 2009-July-23, 22:35
nigel_k, on Jul 23 2009, 08:22 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 23 2009, 04:53 PM, said:
Isn't this missing the point?
The alternatives to Namyats are to open at the one level which also lets opponents in easily or an overweight preeempt that risks missing slam. The fact that 4C is easier to play against than 4H doesn't really show that it's a bad convention.
I don't play it just because I am unwilling to give up four of a minor preempts but have toyed with the idea of using a 3NT opening on the Namyats hand type.
That is obviously very different, you don't give them that many more options playing that or playing something like Mike plays because they don't know your suit. No cuebid, no immediate takeout doubles, no specific two suiters...

Help
