♠AKxx ♥Qxxx ♦AJx ♣xx
(1♦) - dbl - (1♠) - 3♣
(pass) - 3N - (pass) - 4♠
(pass) - ?
3♣ in the dialog box is "11-13 with clubs"
Now what?
Page 1 of 1
GIBs are funny
#2
Posted 2009-July-21, 22:08
Just guessing, but can GIB have spades and had no way to show it last round because 2S, 3S, and 4S are all something else in the database?
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
#3
Posted 2009-July-22, 00:35
Obv pass. And I hate my own bidding especially with gib. Btw when he says 11-13 there I'm pretty sure it's either total points or just an error, he is usually more like 7-9.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
#4
Posted 2009-July-22, 09:05
WD all. You get to watch GIB play the 4-0 fit, just like me. GIB had: void, JTxxx, xx, KQJTxx.
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
Hi y'all!
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#5
Posted 2009-July-22, 09:11
GIB sometimes makes this kind of "futile Willy" bids, where it first evaluates its hand as a game invite and when p accepts the invite, it upgrades to a slam invite.
I have a theory that it is because it first uses a mechanistic rule (like counting "total points" and then bid 3♣ which is described as so-and-so-many clubs and points). Next round it has no rule to follow so it uses simulations instead. Some freaky hands with shortness in opps' suit may then upgrade quite dramatically. At least that is what accounts for the same phenomena with Jack.
I have a theory that it is because it first uses a mechanistic rule (like counting "total points" and then bid 3♣ which is described as so-and-so-many clubs and points). Next round it has no rule to follow so it uses simulations instead. Some freaky hands with shortness in opps' suit may then upgrade quite dramatically. At least that is what accounts for the same phenomena with Jack.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
#6
Posted 2009-July-22, 09:40
Phil, on Jul 22 2009, 03:05 PM, said:
WD all. You get to watch GIB play the 4-0 fit, just like me. GIB had: void, JTxxx, xx, KQJTxx.
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
5x doesn't seem to bea success either, vulnerability didn't help?
#7
Posted 2009-July-22, 09:47
Phil, on Jul 22 2009, 10:05 AM, said:
WD all. You get to watch GIB play the 4-0 fit, just like me. GIB had: void, JTxxx, xx, KQJTxx.
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
4♠ was not a success.
Ari - any reasons you can think of for this?
Could be wrong, I'm willing to bet it's a straight out typo in the computer code. I found another that I told Ari about once, where on some specific auction like 1♥ p 1♠ X p my gib partner was 4-1 in the minors and bid 2♣ instead of 2♦. Ari looked into it, and just because of a typo gib was looking at his spade length instead of his club length.
But I could just be wrong and gib takes it as a cuebid instead. Didn't the bid have a definition when you waved your mouse over it?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
#8
Posted 2009-July-22, 09:58
jdonn, on Jul 22 2009, 10:47 AM, said:
But I could just be wrong and gib takes it as a cuebid instead. Didn't the bid have a definition when you waved your mouse over it?
I can't remember if there was an explanation or not. It seemed patently obvious it was spades, so I'm not sure I checked or not.
Hi y'all!
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
Page 1 of 1

Help
