BBO Discussion Forums: easy? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

easy?

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-15, 22:15

AKQTxxx
xxx
xx
x

(1♦) - P - (1♥) - 4♠
(5♥) - P - (6♥) - All Pass

NV vs V

Your lead?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-15, 22:30

Noone said a spade isn't cashing so I lead a top spade. If partner will give me count then I lead the appropriate card.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-16, 00:00

yeah a club is really obvious.
0

#4 User is offline   zheddh 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 120
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-16, 00:49

Spade Ace
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's razor (by courtesy of hrothgar)
0

#5 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-July-16, 01:26

Club should be much better then spade.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-16, 15:07

Partner led a spade, which was ruffed, and when I won my ♥, it was a lost cause.

I thought this was an obv ♣ lead.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-16, 15:53

why didn't partner raise?
0

#8 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-July-16, 15:53

I was kibbing this one, and I was going to post this hand, too.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#9 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-16, 20:41

Cascade, on Jul 16 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

Noone said a spade isn't cashing so I lead a top spade. If partner will give me count then I lead the appropriate card.

I agree. I think a c lead is masterminding after the fact.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-16, 23:13

on the forum I lead the club, otherwise no-way.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-16, 23:21

Jlall, on Jul 16 2009, 06:00 PM, said:

yeah a club is really obvious.

Were you kibitzing too?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-July-17, 01:24

Cascade, on Jul 17 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

Jlall, on Jul 16 2009, 06:00 PM, said:

yeah a club is really obvious.

Were you kibitzing too?

This is not necessary.

Which second trick do you expect to make when you lead a spade?

No second spade trick, this should be a lock.

So you need partner to have a trick in another suit.

Of course it is possible that your lead gives them the chances to discard their spade loser before you regain the lead, but this is less likely then the possibility that one of them has a spade void.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-17, 01:44

Codo, on Jul 17 2009, 08:24 AM, said:

Of course it is possible that your lead gives them the chances to discard their spade loser before you regain the lead, but this is less likely then the possibility that one of them has a spade void.

Those aren't the relevant probabilities. For the club lead to be right, you don't just need there to be a spade void: you also need the club lead to work.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-17, 01:49

Codo, on Jul 17 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

Cascade, on Jul 17 2009, 02:21 PM, said:

Jlall, on Jul 16 2009, 06:00 PM, said:

yeah a club is really obvious.

Were you kibitzing too?

This is not necessary.

Which second trick do you expect to make when you lead a spade?

No second spade trick, this should be a lock.

So you need partner to have a trick in another suit.

Of course it is possible that your lead gives them the chances to discard their spade loser before you regain the lead, but this is less likely then the possibility that one of them has a spade void.

You play in a tough game if your opponents never bid a slam off two cashing tricks.

Also after I take my spade trick I may have a good idea where we should go (or not passively) to get our second trick.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-17, 03:32

Cascade, on Jul 17 2009, 12:21 AM, said:

Jlall, on Jul 16 2009, 06:00 PM, said:

yeah a club is really obvious.

Were you kibitzing too?

Don't be bitter about the fact that you will never be remotely close to being as good as me!
0

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-17, 03:53

Bitter isn't that the name of a beer?

Is that what you were drinking when you were kibitzing?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-July-17, 05:28

gnasher, on Jul 17 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

Those aren't the relevant probabilities. For the club lead to be right, you don't just need there to be a spade void: you also need the club lead to work.

...because?

When a club lead was wrong you can still have hopes that you can beat the contract. This is less certain if the spade lead fails.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-17, 06:28

Consider these three categories of deal:
(1) Deals where a spade is cashing but will be discarded if we don't cash it, and we have another trick somewhere.
(2) Deals where a spade isn't cashing, and a club lead works.
(3) Deals where a spade isn't cashing, and a club lead doesn't work either.

When you said "it is possible that your lead gives them the chances to discard their spade loser before you regain the lead, but this is less likely then the possibility that one of them has a spade void", you seemed to be comparing
  (1) with (2) + (3)
whereas the relevant comparison is of
  (1) with (2)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users