BBO Discussion Forums: Reverse or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reverse or not? void in partner's suit

Poll: how would you handle? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

how would you handle?

  1. 1 club ... 2 clubs (13 votes [40.62%])

    Percentage of vote: 40.62%

  2. 1 club ... 2 diamonds (2 votes [6.25%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.25%

  3. 1 club ... 2 hearts (3 votes [9.38%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.38%

  4. 1 diamond ... 2 clubs (14 votes [43.75%])

    Percentage of vote: 43.75%

  5. other (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-13, 06:07

♠-
♥K1075
♦AQ102
♣AQ975

first position MPs nobody vul, whatever you open at the 1 level partner answers 1♠ back to you.


If you reverse feel free to mention what you would do next when partner bids 2 spades next.
0

#2 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-13, 06:37

I'd open 1♣ and rebid 2♣. To me the hand isn't close to a reverse, with a 15-count and a void in partners suit.

I'm passing 2♠.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#3 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-July-13, 06:50

I never open 1♣ and rebid 2♣ with a 5-card suit.
Ok, here I will.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-13, 07:42

Hi,

I will open 1C.

If I will make a reverse, it is 2H.

Do I reverse, I voted yes, but it is as likley that I bid 2C, of course
it helps, that I could pass 2S, even if I would make the reverse.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#5 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-13, 07:42

I never open 1D and rebid 2C with 4-5. Ok here I would.
0

#6 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-13, 08:02

cherdanno, on Jul 13 2009, 07:50 AM, said:

I never open 1♣ and rebid 2♣ with a 5-card suit.
Ok, here I will.

This is how I feel about the hand too.

Partner will definitely expect another club, but perhaps all the extra values will make up for it - perhaps this hand will take the same number of tricks as a weaker hand with 6 clubs.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-13, 08:48

I hate this hand. :)

Either open 1♦ and rebid 2♣ or open 1♣ and rebid 2♣, whichever style the partnership is comfortable with.

This hand is not a reverse. It is a great hand if there is a fit; but, without a fit, it is merely an above-average opening hand.
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-13, 09:21

NOT

1♦ then 2♣.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,951
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-July-13, 09:26

skaeran, on Jul 13 2009, 07:37 AM, said:

I'd open 1♣ and rebid 2♣. To me the hand isn't close to a reverse, with a 15-count and a void in partners suit.

I'm passing 2♠.

agreed: not close imo
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-13, 10:25

As mentioned in another poll, the answer largely seems to depend on which side of the Ocean you are on. No right, no wrong --just what you agree to open with non-reverse.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#11 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-13, 10:42

1♦ then 2♣...

AKA "not"
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#12 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-13, 12:11

Quote

As mentioned in another poll, the answer largely seems to depend on which side of the Ocean you are on.


1♣, 2♣

Guess I'm an exception.
0

#13 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-13, 12:20

Apollo81, on Jul 13 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

Quote

As mentioned in another poll, the answer largely seems to depend on which side of the Ocean you are on.


1♣, 2♣

Guess I'm an exception.

me too
OK
bed
0

#14 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-July-13, 12:52

1♦-2♣, I prefer this systemically.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#15 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-13, 13:03

So it looks like I may have to move?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-July-13, 13:07

1♦...2♣...2♥
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-13, 14:08

Partner also bids 2♠ over a non reverse, I expect almost everybody to pass this at IMPs, but this is matchpoints, anyone up for a joke?
0

#18 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-13, 18:52

Great post!

I emailed this one around and got all 4 answers:
1c and then 2c
1c and then 2d
1c and then 2h
1d and then 2c
0

#19 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-13, 19:04

1D followed by 2C.
Second choice 1C followed by 2C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#20 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-14, 18:50

playing 15/17 5 maj 1d=min 4cards therefore 1cl can be short Non forcing

I open 1cl 1sp
2d reverse pard knows club suit genuine
if pard bids 2s i then bid 2n/t

i would not reverse into hts and bypass diam suit
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users