BBO Discussion Forums: take out partner's double - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

take out partner's double

Poll: so? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

so?

  1. pass (9 votes [52.94%])

    Percentage of vote: 52.94%

  2. 3NT (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  3. 4 clubs (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. 5 clubs (8 votes [47.06%])

    Percentage of vote: 47.06%

  5. 4 clubs but the round before (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:25

EW Vulnerable, dealer west

(2♠)- X - (3♠) - ps
(ps) - X- (ps) - ???

♠Q873
♥J7
♦A8
♣J7643
0

#2 User is offline   PFormaini 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2009-May-20

  Posted 2009-July-09, 16:36

One of the clearest PASSES I have ever seen.

That is, if partner has the values for BOTH doubles.
0

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:40

I hate passing with trumps this weak since under the primary bidder.

4♣ but maybe I am worth more.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:46

Pass on the previous round seems OK. I would bid 5♣ now.

Second choice Pass, but I think they will make too often.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:48

Agree with the prior pass. 3NT is out this round since it's probably just down on a spade lead. 4♣ is out since I don't think it's ambitious enough, I have quite a nicer hand than I might have at this point. So it's pass or 5♣. I'll go for 5♣ since I like the added bonus that partner may be able to bid a good slam, especially if he has a spade void.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#6 User is offline   PFormaini 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2009-May-20

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:52

If partner has THAT strong a hand and a Spade void, he should have cue-bid 3♠ the first time - not made a takeout double.

His second double implies general strength that is both offensive and defensive, since he did not either show a predominant suit of his own OR cue bid to show a monster.
0

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:58

THANK you for your OPINION. Please get BACK to us when you learn what A direct 3S mean.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-09, 17:13

jdonn, on Jul 9 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

THANK you for your OPINION. Please get BACK to us when you learn what A direct 3S mean.

we play it for the minors....in combination with leaping michaels. We like 5C now, on the given auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#9 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-09, 17:15

edit: I will try 5c but I thought it was close.


Will assume 20 total tricks. We can make 11 and they can make 9.
0

#10 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-09, 18:37

PFormaini, on Jul 10 2009, 05:52 AM, said:

If partner has THAT strong a hand and a Spade void, he should have cue-bid 3♠ the first time - not made a takeout double.

His second double implies general strength that is both offensive and defensive, since he did not either show a predominant suit of his own OR cue bid to show a monster.

5C. Pass is off the planet.
The direct cue bid to show a super strong hand went out when Noah revoked playing in the Ark championships. Not one good player that I know of, plays it this way anyomore.
Some pairs use it to show a 2 suiter and some others to show a long solid running suit and asking for a stopper.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-10, 17:59

partner held today

♠
♥A9xx
♦KJ8xx
♣AQ9x


3 spades makes, even with overtrick on some tables where diamods weren't played fast enough.

in clubs only 10 tricks are avaible, RHO is 3442 with all the relevant honnors.
0

#12 User is offline   Foxx 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 346
  • Joined: 2003-February-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La Jolla, California
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2009-July-10, 20:07

So 4♣ was the big winner, huh? Congrats Cascade.

But still, I would want to be in 5♣, there are only two obvious losers and at worst it looks like it has play.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users