BBO Discussion Forums: Top Heavy - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Top Heavy

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-06, 17:38

All NV at IMPs you hold:

AKQxxx
--------
KTxx
xxx

LHO deals:

(P) - 1♥ - (1NT*) - ?

*Assumed to be standard

Say you double:

(P) - 1♥ - (1NT*) - X
(P) - 2♠ - (P) - ?

and how do you interpret 2♠?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-06, 18:31

weak....spades....probably 4 6?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-06, 18:33

I think he should be a minimal 5-6. It is still possible the 1NT could be legit, and even if it's not we can easily have two losers in the minors. Since I can't think of any way to investigate given partner's unexpected interference in our plans, I'll just bid 4♠.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#4 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-06, 18:56

jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:

I think he should be a minimal 5-6. It is still possible the 1NT could be legit, and even if it's not we can easily have two losers in the minors. Since I can't think of any way to investigate given partner's unexpected interference in our plans, I'll just bid 4♠.

If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:01

Normally 5=6 weak. I suppose 4=6 could be possible.

Since 3♦ would be natural and forcing now, I think 4♦ should be some sort of spade raise. A splinter is too specific given that we have no cue-bid so I think it makes sense just to show a control. If so then the choice is between 4♦ and 4♠ - given our heart shortage and spade strength it is a given that partner will have very good hearts (increasing the chance I think that he has five spades since with four manky spades and six good hearts he might bid 2♥) so I am not entirely convinced that I have enough for 4♦. On the other hand it could easily be enough opposite 5=6=2=0 for example.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:01

The_Hog, on Jul 6 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:

I think he should be a minimal 5-6. It is still possible the 1NT could be legit, and even if it's not we can easily have two losers in the minors. Since I can't think of any way to investigate given partner's unexpected interference in our plans, I'll just bid 4♠.

If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.

If you would open Jxxxx AKQxxx x x with 1♠ then we have very different styles. I don't think 1♥ is very difficult to visualize given that we are staring at the AKQ of spades...
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#7 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:03

Agree weak 5-6 and 4♠ now.

Still the whole thing seems odd, if the NT bidder has 2 spades then LHO was willing to sit 1NTX with a void. But pulling 1NTX to a higher ranking 4 card suit with a weak hand is just too bad to contemplate.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:03

Depends on with whom I'm playing. With the average idiot, I think they took X as negative. If so, we have a fit.

If a normal, intelligent player, wow. 5-6 makes sense.

Either way, 4♠ looks right.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:49

4s no matter what he has.....4-6, 5-6, we will find out shortly at about trick 3. Adam's question was what opener has....we all seem to agree weak opener
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#10 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-06, 19:56

The_Hog, on Jul 6 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:

I think he should be a minimal 5-6. It is still possible the 1NT could be legit, and even if it's not we can easily have two losers in the minors. Since I can't think of any way to investigate given partner's unexpected interference in our plans, I'll just bid 4♠.

If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.

If he's running from 1NTX, wouldn't he try 2♥ with 46xx? He has no guarantee of a spade fit and if he's so weak that he's scared of defending 1NX, he should also be worried that the doubling will start, shouldn't he? Especially when he is bidding on JTxx at best. So, wouldn't it be better not to bypass 2♥ in case that is the safe landing spot?
0

#11 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-06, 20:13

aguahombre, on Jul 6 2009, 08:49 PM, said:

4s no matter what he has.....4-6, 5-6, we will find out shortly at about trick 3. Adam's question was what opener has....we all seem to agree weak opener

I don't think opener's 2♠ says he is weak (as in sub-minimum), I think it says he is distributional. He could have a perfectly sound opening bid. I think opener's worry is that the penalty against 1NTX (if it exists) won't compensate for the game (or rarely slam).

Give opener something like JTxxx KQJxxx Ax -- and he might easily envision intervenor with the ♥A and some number of running clubs. Give responder AKxx Tx Kxxx xxx and there is plenty of room for intervenor to have his bid and little reason for responder to lead a non-heart against 1NTX.
0

#12 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-06, 21:42

4C splinter
0

#13 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-July-07, 02:56

Jlall, on Jul 6 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

4C splinter

*is reading Zia*

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-07, 09:07

I'm sure 4 of a minor should be a fit jump not a splinter, since hearts is by far your most likely short suit. Not that I've ever thought to discuss it. Actually I think a general rule that jumps in support of opener's rebid suit are fit jumps (really showing strength in the suit you jump in, not much length required) instead of splinters is very good. I already play it after a forcing 1NT response.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,158
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-07, 09:08

Hi,

#1 X, I am on lead, I know what to lead
#2 4S, 2S is natural, showing a (very) weak 54 opening hand

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#16 User is offline   bill1157 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 311
  • Joined: 2007-December-11

Posted 2009-July-07, 12:43

It is very hard to see a hand that partner could have, where pulling the double to 2♠ could make sense. Why doesn't (s)he pass and lead a spade if 4-6 or 5-6?

Bill
0

#17 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-07, 12:47

bill1157, on Jul 7 2009, 01:43 PM, said:

It is very hard to see a hand that partner could have, where pulling the double to 2♠ could make sense. Why doesn't (s)he pass and lead a spade if 4-6 or 5-6?

Bill

That would be a lead out of turn, wouldn't it?
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users