Top Heavy
#1
Posted 2009-July-06, 17:38
AKQxxx
--------
KTxx
xxx
LHO deals:
(P) - 1♥ - (1NT*) - ?
*Assumed to be standard
Say you double:
(P) - 1♥ - (1NT*) - X
(P) - 2♠ - (P) - ?
and how do you interpret 2♠?
#2
Posted 2009-July-06, 18:31
#3
Posted 2009-July-06, 18:33
#4
Posted 2009-July-06, 18:56
jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:
If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.
#5
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:01
Since 3♦ would be natural and forcing now, I think 4♦ should be some sort of spade raise. A splinter is too specific given that we have no cue-bid so I think it makes sense just to show a control. If so then the choice is between 4♦ and 4♠ - given our heart shortage and spade strength it is a given that partner will have very good hearts (increasing the chance I think that he has five spades since with four manky spades and six good hearts he might bid 2♥) so I am not entirely convinced that I have enough for 4♦. On the other hand it could easily be enough opposite 5=6=2=0 for example.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#6
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:01
The_Hog, on Jul 6 2009, 07:56 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:
If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.
If you would open Jxxxx AKQxxx x x with 1♠ then we have very different styles. I don't think 1♥ is very difficult to visualize given that we are staring at the AKQ of spades...
#7
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:03
Still the whole thing seems odd, if the NT bidder has 2 spades then LHO was willing to sit 1NTX with a void. But pulling 1NTX to a higher ranking 4 card suit with a weak hand is just too bad to contemplate.
#8
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:03
If a normal, intelligent player, wow. 5-6 makes sense.
Either way, 4♠ looks right.
-P.J. Painter.
#9
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:49
#10
Posted 2009-July-06, 19:56
The_Hog, on Jul 6 2009, 07:56 PM, said:
jdonn, on Jul 7 2009, 07:33 AM, said:
If he had a minimum with 5-6, he would open 1S. I suspect he has a pile of rubbish and is 4-6. I would bid 4S.
If he's running from 1NTX, wouldn't he try 2♥ with 46xx? He has no guarantee of a spade fit and if he's so weak that he's scared of defending 1NX, he should also be worried that the doubling will start, shouldn't he? Especially when he is bidding on JTxx at best. So, wouldn't it be better not to bypass 2♥ in case that is the safe landing spot?
#11
Posted 2009-July-06, 20:13
aguahombre, on Jul 6 2009, 08:49 PM, said:
I don't think opener's 2♠ says he is weak (as in sub-minimum), I think it says he is distributional. He could have a perfectly sound opening bid. I think opener's worry is that the penalty against 1NTX (if it exists) won't compensate for the game (or rarely slam).
Give opener something like JTxxx KQJxxx Ax -- and he might easily envision intervenor with the ♥A and some number of running clubs. Give responder AKxx Tx Kxxx xxx and there is plenty of room for intervenor to have his bid and little reason for responder to lead a non-heart against 1NTX.
#13
Posted 2009-July-07, 02:56
Jlall, on Jul 6 2009, 11:42 PM, said:
*is reading Zia*
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#14
Posted 2009-July-07, 09:07
#15
Posted 2009-July-07, 09:08
#1 X, I am on lead, I know what to lead
#2 4S, 2S is natural, showing a (very) weak 54 opening hand
With kind regards
Marlowe
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#16
Posted 2009-July-07, 12:43
Bill
#17
Posted 2009-July-07, 12:47
bill1157, on Jul 7 2009, 01:43 PM, said:
Bill
That would be a lead out of turn, wouldn't it?

Help
