Page 1 of 1
Sit down in a JEC Match Hand 7, feb 2 board 18
#3
Posted 2009-July-03, 10:39
Risky, but sometimes it is worth sticking our neck out.
I prefer double; if needed, partner makes a scrambling bid and we could land in 3m.
I prefer double; if needed, partner makes a scrambling bid and we could land in 3m.
#4
Posted 2009-July-03, 12:03
Double looks normal and not particularly risky. 3♥ is too dangerous for me.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
#5
Posted 2009-July-03, 12:10
Wow pass looks absolutely normal to me. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but vul against not double strikes me as quite risky, mostly because we may be unable to find our best fit.
I would actually put 3♥ ahead of double because, while either 3♥ or double could lead to the better fit, many (most?) pairs play doubling an overcall is a game try, not penalty. So if it's wrong it's a lot harder to nail me. If I double they can unambiguously pass then double me, or redouble right away. That wouldn't bother me so much on other shapes, but doubling with this shape leads to a 7 card fit very often.
I would actually put 3♥ ahead of double because, while either 3♥ or double could lead to the better fit, many (most?) pairs play doubling an overcall is a game try, not penalty. So if it's wrong it's a lot harder to nail me. If I double they can unambiguously pass then double me, or redouble right away. That wouldn't bother me so much on other shapes, but doubling with this shape leads to a 7 card fit very often.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
#6
Posted 2009-July-03, 13:13
I agree with Josh. Anything other than pass strikes me as an attempt to be a hero.
We had a thread about this a while back from advancer's point of view. We agreed that raising 3♥ to 4♥ in this auction on something like a reasonable 7-count was indicated. If so, we're going to be in 4♥x whenever partner has a constructive heart raise. Since we wouldn't accept a limit raise with this hand, 3♥ feels like at best a break-even proposition, and it could be a transfer to -500 or -800 on a partscore hand. That's terrible IMP strategy. It isn't very good matchpoint strategy either.
We had a thread about this a while back from advancer's point of view. We agreed that raising 3♥ to 4♥ in this auction on something like a reasonable 7-count was indicated. If so, we're going to be in 4♥x whenever partner has a constructive heart raise. Since we wouldn't accept a limit raise with this hand, 3♥ feels like at best a break-even proposition, and it could be a transfer to -500 or -800 on a partscore hand. That's terrible IMP strategy. It isn't very good matchpoint strategy either.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
#7
Posted 2009-July-03, 15:35
Competing is superficially appealing, but a lot of the time the 3 level isn't safe and pard will quite often have some 3(433) 7 count and thrash around for 800.
Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd step in at MPs.
Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd step in at MPs.
Hi y'all!
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#10
Posted 2009-July-04, 07:40
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
#11
Posted 2009-July-06, 00:47
I am a whimp.
With 15(34) I would double, but with this? No wa at imps.
With 15(34) I would double, but with this? No wa at imps.
Kind Regards
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
Page 1 of 1

Help

(1♠)-Pass-(2♠)-?
Your bid? Are you inclined to bid or to pass (I realize in the abstract pass or bidding can be the winning call, what wins on this hand is what counts here. So there is really no right or wrong answer, per se. )