Posted 2009-July-01, 19:43
I think that
* declarer doesn't have A8xx, ?, A9xx, A since that hand looks very suitish.
* so declarer probably has 4342, since with a doubleton heart partner either has a solid heart sequence or ♥KJT9xx and probably would have led them
* declarer has at least 2 of the top 5 hearts (and probably 2 of the top 4) else partner, holding 5 hearts would just clear hearts on the lead
The only declarer hand I can construct where it's right to play cash the spade before I play hearts is A8xx, KJT, A9xx, AK. Other hands with CAK that are not 2NT openers and contain at least two heart honors cannot generate 9 tricks playing one on one vs partner, eg A8xx, KT9, A9xx, AK partner can defeat the strip squeeze by keeping all of his clubs.
If declarer has A8xx, AQx, A9xx, Ax cashing the spade is fatal since declarer can duck the heart through and then play to squeeze partner in the rounded suits. If I play a club against this hand declarer can duck, win the club return and run diamonds to reach
8, AQx, --, -- vs --, 87x, --, Q
and now if partner kept 2 clubs declarer ducks a heart. if partner kept one club declarer plays ♣Q and ducks a heart.
So I'm playing a heart without cashing the spade.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
(1♦)-1♥-(3♦)!-Pass
(3NT) - all pass
As you can see, the 3♦ bid was alerted as "weak"
Partner leads the ♠6 to Q-K-A
Declearer plays ♦A partner playing the queen), and another ♦ (partner wins the king).
Partner continues the ♠4 to 9-Ten and south plays the ♠5.