BBO Discussion Forums: What is 4NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is 4NT?

#1 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,255
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2009-July-01, 01:55

Scoring: MP

1♠   2♦
2♥   3♣!
3♥   ?

A 'future expert' has asked me about bidding this hand. At the table a confident 4NT (keycard in hearts) was bid and recognised as such, although they had not considered what to do over a one keycard response!

What do you think 4NT should be in this auction?

And if, like many future experts, a jump to 4NT is known to be keycard in the last named suit, what would bid?

Finally, if 4NT is known to be quantitative, what would you bid if the ♣Q was the ♥Q (and you would now like to bid keycard)?

Thanks

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#2 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-01, 02:38

It's probably right to play:

4C=good heart raise (keycard in hearts starts with this)
4N=quant

If you are dealt a huge minor 2 suiter you are screwed and have to bid 5C or 6C, but from frequency point of view this must be better than

4C=natural

and then you lose a good 4H raise, and either keycard in hearts or quant 4N.

I suppose you could play 4C as even more ambiguous but I'm not sure how to make that playable.
0

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-01, 03:44

I do what Justin suggests - 4NT natural and 4♣ any good heart raise - and I think that's normal amongst good players in England.

I prefer to play a jump in the fourth suit (1♠-2♦;2♥-4♣) as a strong two-suiter, so that I never have to worry about the possibility that an FSF-bidder has that. This part isn't normal.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-01, 04:01

gnasher, on Jul 1 2009, 04:44 AM, said:

I prefer to play a jump in the fourth suit (1♠-2♦;2♥-4♣) as a strong two-suiter, so that I never have to worry about the possibility that an FSF-bidder has that.  This part isn't normal.

LOL

Separated by an ocean and a common language. "Normal" (standard/common), it is not.
"Normal" (rational/sane) it is.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-01, 05:49

I think 4♦ is also a cue for hearts, so 4♣ shows ♣A an heart support.

why didn't you bid 3♦?
0

#6 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,255
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2009-July-01, 06:33

Fluffy, on Jul 1 2009, 12:49 PM, said:

why didn't you bid 3♦?

3♦ on the second round would not have been forcing in the methods being played. In 2/1 I'd probably bid 3♣ too, albeit showing rather than asking <_<
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#7 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,156
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-01, 09:18

RKCB for hearts.

If you have agreed that 4C is generic slam try for hearts, than 4NT
quantitative is certainly a possible option.

Of course the base system is important, if 3D would be nonforcing,
than 4D now in the given auction would show a strong 1-suiter (...
dont ask me, what the difference is if responder would have bid 4D
instead of 3C).

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users