BBO Discussion Forums: is this a negative double - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is this a negative double

Poll: is this a negative double (39 member(s) have cast votes)

is this a negative double

  1. yes (21 votes [53.85%])

    Percentage of vote: 53.85%

  2. no (18 votes [46.15%])

    Percentage of vote: 46.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   barryallen 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 2008-June-03

Posted 2009-June-30, 12:54

aguahombre, on Jun 29 2009, 02:47 PM, said:

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

I can see so many ways of getting into trouble if you bid anything but pass.  I can't see any real problems of missing anything vital should you pass. Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me!

partner WILL let this lie. He has some spades if it floats back to him. systemic 2nt if the 2S bid did not occur, showing weak response with lots of minor suit cards.

maybe 2NT should still show this hand ---frequency of having something like this vs having a natural 2NT call as a passed hand.

I believe strongly in getting the opponents to a level they are not comfortable with, giving the defence something meaningful to go after. If double in your system catered for this point range and lack of defensive tricks, I would view this double as an excellent choice and not bat an eyelid in forwarding.

There is a certain hand type from partner which you can see giving the possibility of a very good result with little risk. There are several other hand types where I feel we have the possibility of getting into a lot of trouble, if not immediately, then subsequently. Even with the certain types of hand which I believe can work well for us, there is still a good chance 3♠ will work for the opponents and the subsequent problems this gives partner.

Maybe what I should of said, is if double in this position will not create the possible problems I have outlined, I would use this bid in an instance. Then you would look at what other situations the partnership may miss out on because of the definition of this double? Maybe I have been overly pessimistic in viewing the negative aspects and the fact the possible positive contracts may not even stay on our side of the table, but that is where I am at.
bridge is never always a game of exact, for those times it's all about percentages, partner and the opponents.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users