BBO Discussion Forums: Miserable - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miserable

Poll: What is the least of all evils? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the least of all evils?

  1. 1NT (25 votes [52.08%])

    Percentage of vote: 52.08%

  2. 2C (8 votes [16.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 16.67%

  3. 2D (11 votes [22.92%])

    Percentage of vote: 22.92%

  4. 2H (2 votes [4.17%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.17%

  5. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. 2NT (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  7. Something Really Insane (2 votes [4.17%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-24, 12:22

Nobody Vul. at IMPs you hold:

Q
AK9x
Q9xxx
A9x

You deal:
1♦ - (P) - 1♠ - (P)
?

What's your poison?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-24, 12:28

I would open 1NT and avoid this. I very rarely do it with a singleton but I'm not against it in principle. This hand has obvious rebid problems and looks fine for a 5-1 spade fit with the top tricks and the queen of spades.

Btw you could condense your last 3 poll options.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#3 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-June-24, 12:29

2♣ for me. Twice in the last 10 years I've played in a 3-3 club fit instead of a 4-4 heart fit because of taking this action. The upside is, my partners can always rebid 5-card spade suits without worrying about a singleton. So we don't miss 5-3 spade fits, and we don't play 5-1 spade misfits.

Back in the day, I asked Max Hardy about a similar hand (unfortunately, one of those 3-3 club fits occurred while playing with my girlfriend), when we were standing in line for a drink at the Vegas Regional during a break between rounds. His response was, "2 clubs. That's an easy one." Granted, we're all in the 21st century now, and Max was codifying a system developed long before the yellow book laid it all out, but all things considered, I still like 2♣ here. Having partners who take false preferences in the minors helps mitigate the downside (though, it admittedly, it does create other downside for those 4-diamond, 5-club hands I open 1♦, but that's for another thread.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-June-24, 12:43

It would not occur to me to open 1NT, but I would have no qualms about rebidding 1NT.

Having said that, a 2♣ rebid does have merit. But if partner passes 1NT, we are probably in the right spot.
0

#5 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-24, 12:56

I'd rebid 1NT, and am pretty happy with it. I don't like my singleton, nor do I like my 5-card suit; I'm cool with calling this a good 14 count.
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-June-24, 13:32

1NT rebid makes me sick, opening 1NT had some merit though. Now I would happily bid 2♦, the book bid can't be so wrong.
0

#7 User is online   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,942
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-June-24, 13:45

This is an easy 2♣ rebid. I don't like opening 1N with a stiff, even when it is the A/K, altho I have done it and will do it again.. but not with the Queen. As for rebidding 1N: ugh.... a huge underbid, even if by agreement you may hold this shape.. and if you don't have that agreement, it is a shape distortion as well as a strength distortion.

2♣ has been the mark time bid for decades, and the reasoning behind it is as valid now as it was in years past..... personally, I don't recall ever being dumped in a 3-3, but that may be because I try to forget bids that don't work out :rolleyes:
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-June-24, 13:52

mikeh, on Jun 24 2009, 02:45 PM, said:

This is an easy 2♣ rebid.

That you, Max?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#9 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,229
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-24, 15:45

mtvesuvius, on Jun 24 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

Nobody Vul. at IMPs you hold:

Q
AK9x
Q9xxx
A9x

You deal:
1♦ - (P) - 1♠ - (P)
?

What's your poison?

prefer opening 1nt but I open alot of offshape hands 1nt....


Given OP will rebid 2c, easy.
0

#10 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-24, 16:46

I'd hanp this one.
0

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-24, 16:52

Jlall, on Jun 24 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

I'd hanp this one.

Open 3♦ in third seat?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#12 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-June-24, 20:56

I'd open it 1NT and haven't had (m)any troubles with it. If I play in the 5-1 spade fit at least the singleton is the queen. If you made me open 1♦ then I would rebid 2♣ because everything else seems a much worser distortion.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#13 User is offline   TylerE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,778
  • Joined: 2006-January-30

Posted 2009-June-24, 20:57

2♣ is a wtp on this for me. 1NT opening = lol.
0

#14 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-24, 21:50

So I have the choice of bidding a three card suit or downgrading a 15 count with a stiff Q and my long suit is Q9xxx? You can't be serious. If you don't downgrade a hand like this, you'll never downgrade.

In spite of this I have no strong feelings opening this 1N in the first place, however if your hand evaluation tells you this isn't a 15 then it still isn't after partner's mostlikely response.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#15 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-June-24, 22:13

Phil, on Jun 24 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

So I have the choice of bidding a three card suit or downgrading a 15 count with a stiff Q and my long suit is Q9xxx? You can't be serious. If you don't downgrade a hand like this, you'll never downgrade.

In spite of this I have no strong feelings opening this 1N in the first place, however if your hand evaluation tells you this isn't a 15 then it still isn't after partner's mostlikely response.

I'm not sure I'm taking your point here. Once you opt to open 1♦ (OP condition) granted, you have to downgrade to rebid 1NT, and as you suggest, that's not hard to do.

But the downgrade question seems to call into question the first bid, not the second; both 1♦-1♠; 1NT and 1♦-1♠; 2♣ are sequences that would encompass a 14 point hand. It's about whether (and in what circumstances, e.g. stiff honor) you rebid 1NT with the stiff (or what lengths you're willing to go to in order to avoid it).

The whether-to-downgrade question is sort of a question for a different OP, or at least one with an additional answer choice: "I would have opened 1NT"
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#16 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,229
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-24, 22:17

I sort of hate opening 1d and rebidding 1nt geez.

Granted this is winning overwhelmingly in the poll.
0

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-24, 22:24

Phil, on Jun 24 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

If you don't downgrade a hand like this, you'll never downgrade.

! Partner bid the stiff queen, you have a 5 card suit, AK A, and we were even gifted with 9 9 9. Are we looking at the same hand?!?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#18 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-June-24, 23:21

TylerE, on Jun 25 2009, 09:57 AM, said:

2♣ is a wtp on this for me. 1NT opening = lol.

2C = lol. A 1Nt rebid = wtp.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#19 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-June-25, 00:59

I had bid 2♦ like Gonzalo, but I guess 2♣ is the better choice.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-June-25, 03:17

mikeh, on Jun 24 2009, 07:45 PM, said:

This is an easy 2♣ rebid. I don't like opening 1N with a stiff, even when it is the A/K, altho I have done it and will do it again.. but not with the Queen. As for rebidding 1N: ugh.... a huge underbid, even if by agreement you may hold this shape.. and if you don't have that agreement, it is a shape distortion as well as a strength distortion.

2♣ has been the mark time bid for decades, and the reasoning behind it is as valid now as it was in years past..... personally, I don't recall ever being dumped in a 3-3, but that may be because I try to forget bids that don't work out :o

You exagerate with the huge underbid thing, stiff Queen is to be downgraded, singleton in partner's suit is to be downgraded as well.

I like the 2♣ option, but sadly I have that bid overloaded already with 4♦-5♣ hands, not gonna bid it with this too.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users