Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

multiple connections what's allowed?

#1 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-May-24, 13:23

I guess I need to address this to everyone who knows for sure, no guessing now B)

1. What is BBO's position on multiple alias connections in a short span of time?
2. If a player logs on from the same IP address with 2-3 aliases, is this a reason to suspect something untoward?

I'm one of those people who'd like a clear answer, if at all possible.

With best regards
Jola

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-May-24, 13:50

1. None. Like you, we think it is a little weird, but nothing more than that.,
2. It is something we look at when trying to determine if something untoward has happened. It is not enough for suspicion by itself, most of the time

We're slowly gearing ourselved up to limit the number of aliases per PC. No firm plans yet, but i would not be surprised to find that in a month or so, we only allowed ( by default) one or two usernames from each workstation

#3 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-24, 13:56

Thank you Uday

Jola

#4 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-24, 14:15

Then I guess a natural next question is what do people do who host other players at their house, and those guests, to hosts' relief :D would like to get busy on BBO under their own alias? How about if they host a whole team of players with one or two pc's available? Now what?

Jola

#5 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-24, 15:51

I use the Windows Internet Connection Sharing feature to allow my wife to browse the web while I am on BBO. Occasionally, she will get on BBO from her computer as well and we'll play or practice in the pdship bidding area. Internet Connection Sharing is basically a network address translator (NAT) and so from BBO's perspective I'm sure it looks like two people are logged in simultaneously from the same computer. Whatever you decide to do Uday, I definitely hope that you don't do something that would stop this scenario from functioning.

Todd

#6 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-24, 16:38

DrTodd: we have plenty of family connections as it it. I dont anticipate a problem in this area

Doofik: They should do what they need to do :D we'll cross that bridge later.

#7 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-24, 17:11

Thanks a bunch and then a whole great big lot

Jola

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-25, 18:11

I am one of those who have multiple access from same IP, daddy connects sometimes, he is just 2 walls away form me :(, and recently my sister has started to play and is trying to practice a bit here.

#9 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-May-26, 00:32

Hi Jola!
I don't know what type of internet connection you have, but with cable connection you can have as many IP as you like. Another way is to have several different type of connection: by network cable, by TV cable, by phone cable, by satellite...
By phone is possible to have several numbers and several modems, one for each PC. As you can see IP adress is not guarantee for nothing. If people like to cheat, nothing can stop them, even in f2f bridge with screens...
Misho
MishoVnBg

#10 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-26, 04:15

Dear Misho

I'm one of those players who just don't care enough about winning to cheat. Now, put $100,000,000 in front of me and I may start salivating;-)

The reason I asked the question is that I host a lot of players in my home and at the moment I've got two PC's, both hooked up to a cable modem. If you ask anymore about that, you'll get no answers as I don't know ;)

What seems to be clear is that there is a developing paranoia about cheating. If someone wins a tourney 3-4 times in a row, questions begin. If someone makes a weird play that works, the rumble can be heard all the way in Timbuktu. I don't think that this makes for a healthy atmosphere for the winners nor for those who do the suspecting. The fact that a player's address appears in more than one instance to me is no proof. I'm also trying to figure out if I'm just naive or if others are paranoid; I want a diagnosis :P

Jola

#11 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-May-26, 05:38

Hi Jola!

Talk with your ISP to give you one more IP for second PC - it is probably possible for him and will cost you few money - in BG 2.5 euro per month. This will solve at least problem with somebody paranoia ;) .

Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users