BBO Discussion Forums: score - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

score is cross-imp really the best for bbo?

#1 User is offline   GMarco24 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-May-27, 07:47

Recently I've played the hand which is quite normal... Bidding, declarer play and defense were good, anyhow possible results were 3= or 3-1 and leads to -110 or -100 for my side. Neither side can't make any game, the board was quiet at many tables, but...
One table played 7NTXX-12 on opps side. That makes my perfectly normal score very, very bad. Actually I missed the game there!
Do you have any ideas how to solve this, because it makes scoring funny sometimes?
My suggestion is to exclude some of the top and bottom results, and then calculate cross-imp as you were before. So, instead of 16 pairs, maybe 20 should play the board, exclude 4 results and calculate the cross-imp.
Otherwise, you are in this situation:
-Always when your opps make something (anything!) you'll lose 2-3 imps. ( There was a board where i lost 3.5 imps where opps made 6nt. They had 38 pts, and 16 tricks on 7nt. And -3.5 is because 3 pairs played on second level)
-One angry player can ruin the results for everyone on one board
I'll be gratefull if you at least think about my words.
Thank you for making wonderfull playground for us :)

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-May-27, 08:39

It doesn't actually matter. Your cross imps score will even out anyway. But your cross imp score doesn't matter!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-27, 09:29

Yeah, don't worry about it.

Matchpoints would be slightly better IMHO but apparently everybody prefers xIMPs. Their own choice.

Btw, the 7NTxx-12 would be even more devastating at butler scoring!
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-27, 09:36

helene_t, on May 28 2009, 03:29 AM, said:

Matchpoints would be slightly better IMHO but apparently everybody prefers xIMPs. Their own choice.

In Butler it is routine to remove the top and bottom result(s).
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-27, 16:55

Cascade, on May 27 2009, 10:36 AM, said:

helene_t, on May 28 2009, 03:29 AM, said:

In Butler it is routine to remove the top and bottom result(s).

Yeah, but in my local club the next score is 7NTXX-11.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-May-27, 20:00

Makes no sense to remove results in cross imps. How do you assign scores to the removed results?

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2009-May-27, 21:10

Gerardo, on May 28 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

Makes no sense to remove results in cross imps. How do you assign scores to the removed results?

I am not saying that it makes sense but they could be cross-imped with the non-removed scores.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   GMarco24 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-May-28, 07:41

Gerardo, on May 27 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Makes no sense to remove results in cross imps. How do you assign scores to  the removed results?

Maybe we could remove top 2 and bottom 2 results for them too... Of course, their result stay, so remove the next two

#9 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-04, 11:03

Makes no sense to remove results in cross imps. How do you assign scores to  the removed results?

The same way you do now.

Remove the top and bottom score, then calculate the average result, then IMP all results (including the removed ones) against this average.

Currently, I believe that all results are averaged then the IMP's calculated from that average. This allows a big score in one direction or another skew the imp results from what should be a "normal" result.

(But I could be wrong).
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2009-June-04, 11:52

bid_em_up, on Jun 4 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

Currently, I believe that all results are averaged then the IMP's calculated from that average. This allows a big score in one direction or another skew the imp results from what should be a "normal" result.

(But I could be wrong).

This is at odds with my understanding, which is that each result is IMP'd in full against each other result, the the net total of all these results divided by the number of comparisons.

(But I could be wrong)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-04, 13:11

1eyedjack, on Jun 4 2009, 12:52 PM, said:

bid_em_up, on Jun 4 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

Currently, I believe that all results are averaged then the IMP's calculated from that average.  This allows a big score in one direction or another skew the imp results from what should be a "normal" result.

(But I could be wrong).

This is at odds with my understanding, which is that each result is IMP'd in full against each other result, the the net total of all these results divided by the number of comparisons.

(But I could be wrong)

No, you are right. The way I thought it was done is (evidently) the Butler method.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-June-04, 15:42

Butler scoring, AKA IMPing against the datum, was common when IMP pairs was scored by hand, since it's very tedious to calculate all the cross-imps. Cross-imps tends to be common with computer scoring, since they don't get tired of doing all those additions and subtractions.

#13 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2009-June-04, 18:10

I don't have the source but I also believe that someone has shown that cross-IMPing is more sound than butler.

I recall a situation where improving one's score actually resulted in a lower butler score. Butler Problem
Wayne Burrows

#14 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-04, 18:20

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading other material on the merits of Butler versus X-IMPs on the same site. Anyway, wherever it was, I do recall that the conclusion was that X-IMPs are marginally better.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#15 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-05, 10:14

GMarco24, on May 28 2009, 08:41 AM, said:

Maybe we could remove top 2 and bottom 2 results for them too... Of course, their result stay, so remove the next two

i would vote for removing the top 8 and bottom 8.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users