• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law Wrong pair at the table.

#1 User is offline   Helmer 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-07, 08:20

First round finished.
One pair walked to the wrong table, leaving only one table free.
A second pair now walks to the only available table - without checking on the table card - now this pair is also sitting at a wrong table.

Halfway through the first board of round 2 - one of the pairs realize that they are sitting at table 2 instead of 7.
Table 7 already finished the first board of round 2.

What to do now?

I tried to look in the law book that I had available, but couldn't find anything.

I had to make a call (for now).

I ruled as if they had actually played the wrong board. And said that the score for the finished board stands. And asked the two involved pairs to swap table.

Furthermore - later when the correct pairs are going to play the boards - 40/60 to the innocent pair.

I told them that actually all 4 involved pairs are responsible - not only the two pairs walking to the wrong table - but all have a duty to check on the "table-runner" - if they play against the correct pair, seating and boards.

Can someone help me - maybe with some law numbers as well.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-June-07, 09:24

I believe this is covered on the first part of the law book: when a pair plays a wrong board.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   Helmer 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-07, 10:26

That was how I ruled it - as they were playing the wrong board.
But I could not find anything - directly saying - that it also counts for a pair sitting at a wrong table.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-June-07, 10:54

LAW 15 – PLAY OF A WRONG BOARD
A. Players Have not Previously Played Board
If players play a board not designated for them to play in the current round (but see c below):
1. The director normally allows the score to stand if none of the four players has previously played the board.
2. The director may require both pairs to play the correct board against one another later.
B. One or more Players Have Previously Played Board
Ff any player plays a board he has previously played, with the correct opponents or otherwise, his second score on the board is canceled both for his side and his opponents, and the director shall award an artificial adjusted score to the contestants deprived of the opportunity to earn a valid score.
C. Discovered during Auction Period
If during the auction period the director discovers that a contestant is playing a board not designated for him to play in the current round, he shall cancel the auction, ensure that the correct contestants are seated and that all players involved are informed of their lawful obligations and rights both now and at future rounds. A second auction begins. Players who participated in the first auction must repeat the calls they made previously. if any call differs in any way from the corresponding call in the first auction, the director shall cancel the board. otherwise the auction and play continue normally. the director may award a procedural penalty (and an adjusted score) if of the opinion that there has been a purposeful attempt by either side to preclude normal play of the board.

So. This sounds like a Howell, and like the pairs had not previously played the boards in question. Had this same problem a couple weeks ago at my club. So the two pairs at table 7 get the table result on the board they played. Later, when they meet the opponents with which they were scheduled to play the board, those opponents get average plus (60%). There is no 40% - that pair gets the table result from the actual play of the board. Actually, there is a 40% - for the pair who should have been playing this board, but sat at table 2. If there's a regulation in place that says everyone at the table is responsible for checking (see below) then 50% (average, instead of average minus) might be appropriate.

At table 2, cancel the auction, seat the correct opponents, and explain everyone's rights and responsibilities. Allow a second auction. Players who remain at the table must repeat the calls they made in the previous auction. If the second auction matches the first, play proceeds normally. If not, cancel the board, and award an artificial adjusted score (see Law 12C2{a} and {c}). Later, when the pair who should have been at table 7 meets new opponents over this board, apply the same law.

As to who's responsible, look at

Law 5B said:

Players change their initial compass direction or proceed to another table in accordance with the director’s instructions. The director is responsible for clear announcement of instructions; each player is responsible for moving when and as directed and for occupying the correct seat after each change.

It is common to say that in a Howell, everybody is responsible for making sure that the correct pairs are seated and that the table has the correct boards, but technically this should be made a regulation, so there's no legal question about it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users