Page 1 of 1
Grand slam to play
#1
Posted 2009-June-04, 07:26
`We shall creep out quietly into the butler's pantry - ' cried the Mole.
` - with our pistols and swords and sticks - ' shouted the Rat.
` - and rush in upon them,' said the Badger.
` - and whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!' cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
` - with our pistols and swords and sticks - ' shouted the Rat.
` - and rush in upon them,' said the Badger.
` - and whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!' cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
#2
Posted 2009-June-04, 08:37
I'm going to assume that LHO doesn't have a doubleton club, because it's an unlikely lead even from J10 doubleton.
Suppose that I were to play on diamonds, and they were 4-3. I'd need four entries to dummy: three to ruff diamonds and one to draw trumps. If trumps were 3-1, I'd need to be able to ruff a club low in dummy. As well as diamonds 4-3, I'd need trumps 2-2, clubs 4-3, or the same hand having one trump and two clubs. There are a few extra chances - ♦Hx on my left with trumps 2-2, RHO having five diamonds and both spade honours - but these don't add up to much.
If I play to ruff my black losers in dummy, I'll need clubs 4-3, diamonds not 1=6, and spades not 6=2. That seems better to me, despite the lead.
Suppose that I were to play on diamonds, and they were 4-3. I'd need four entries to dummy: three to ruff diamonds and one to draw trumps. If trumps were 3-1, I'd need to be able to ruff a club low in dummy. As well as diamonds 4-3, I'd need trumps 2-2, clubs 4-3, or the same hand having one trump and two clubs. There are a few extra chances - ♦Hx on my left with trumps 2-2, RHO having five diamonds and both spade honours - but these don't add up to much.
If I play to ruff my black losers in dummy, I'll need clubs 4-3, diamonds not 1=6, and spades not 6=2. That seems better to me, despite the lead.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
#3
Posted 2009-June-04, 10:41
Ruffs seem right. Play two clubs and then the Queen. If that's not ruffed, ditch a spade. Fourth club. If LHO follows, ruff high. If LHO ruffs, overruff. If LHO pitches, ruff low.
Spade to Ace, ruff a spade low.
Diamond Ace, ruff a diamond (noting King), ruff a spade.
On this second spade, you could ruff high, which wins if trumps are not 4-0. You could instead ruff low, which works if RHO does not have only two spades. You should have count.
Spade to Ace, ruff a spade low.
Diamond Ace, ruff a diamond (noting King), ruff a spade.
On this second spade, you could ruff high, which wins if trumps are not 4-0. You could instead ruff low, which works if RHO does not have only two spades. You should have count.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."
-P.J. Painter.
-P.J. Painter.
#4
Posted 2009-June-04, 10:50
A full cross ruff seems much better.
Cash the heart king. Win three clubs pitching a spade. Ace of spades, ruff a spade. Ace of diamonds, ruff a diamond. Ruff a spade low. If you are stilll alive, claim.
Cash the heart king. Win three clubs pitching a spade. Ace of spades, ruff a spade. Ace of diamonds, ruff a diamond. Ruff a spade low. If you are stilll alive, claim.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
#5
Posted 2009-June-04, 11:05
Yes. It's particularly unwise to play a fourth round of clubs and then ruff a diamond low, risking being overruffed when LHO is 5323.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
#6
Posted 2009-June-05, 08:45
Yes, the suggested line is basically working. The cards were how you are imagining - LHO had ♣J10x and you just have to be careful to avoid any silly overruffs. Maybe this hand is less interesting than I thought - I tied myself in knots trying to combine chances and duly went down.
`We shall creep out quietly into the butler's pantry - ' cried the Mole.
` - with our pistols and swords and sticks - ' shouted the Rat.
` - and rush in upon them,' said the Badger.
` - and whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!' cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
` - with our pistols and swords and sticks - ' shouted the Rat.
` - and rush in upon them,' said the Badger.
` - and whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!' cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
#7
Posted 2009-June-05, 18:15
This sort of hand is easier on an internet newsgroup than at the table.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
Page 1 of 1

Help

You open 1♥ and reach 7♥ with no opposition bidding.
Lead is ♣J.
I thought there were two possible lines:
* Pitch a spade on a club and try to ruff three black losers in dummy
* Reverse dummy and set up diamonds.
(If you play trumps, West turns up with three. If you play ♦A, diamond ruff West drops the ♦K.)