BBO Discussion Forums: Innocuous Hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Innocuous Hand

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-May-29, 07:08

1♦ - (P) - ?


This seems so obvious to me at the time.

How about you?

Try to forget that this is being submitted as a problem.
0

#2 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-29, 07:12

In Sayc this is a 2 NT, showing 13-15 isn't it?

But I still wait for a partner to play this way, so I bid 3 NT, showing a balanced 13-15 where I live.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#3 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-May-29, 10:15

I would initially respond 2D inverted (however, 1D openings in my partnerships are 4+, so I know there is at least a 4-4 fit already). A leap to 3N just about kills any possibility of finding 6D.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-29, 10:27

2NT: 13-15 Balanced... 2♥ would be 10-12 Balanced or a SJS, leaving 2NT for this purpose.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#5 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-29, 11:03

It would help to know something about our system
0

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-May-29, 11:19

If I had to bid 3N to show this hand, I would bid 2♦.

If I could bid 2N to show this hand, I would do that.
0

#7 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-29, 11:19

I prefer 3NT over 2D.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-29, 11:41

rogerclee, on May 29 2009, 12:19 PM, said:

If I had to bid 3N to show this hand, I would bid 2♦.

If I could bid 2N to show this hand, I would do that.

That's how I feel too. Slam is way too likely for me to bid 3NT, if partner has long diamonds and some shape. He might pull 3NT on such a hand but he might not and I don't want to make him guess.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-29, 12:38

2♦ GF with support.
Unless partner makes a positive move, 3NT next.
I'll cooperate if partner makes a slam move.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 12:58

This is, in a sense, the same "problem" that drives me nuts with the old "13-15" 3NT response to a minor opening. The bid should either show a primed hand or a quacks hand. I can live with either, but not both. But when it could be anything, it makes partner's head explode trying to decide what the heck to do at the four-level, if anything.

There's something to be said for 2NT and 3NT responses showing the same basic range (12-15 or so), but one primed and one quacked. Never heard of that, though.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-29, 14:48

kenrexford, on May 29 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

There's something to be said for 2NT and 3NT responses showing the same basic range (12-15 or so), but one primed and one quacked. Never heard of that, though.

There is no point, why not just have 2NT show both? That's way more playable than 3NT showing both.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-29, 15:14

Hands like these are the reason why I designed a proper inverted raise scheme.

Under normal circumstances I'd just bid 2♣ (or 3NT if I feel like hogging the hand). If opener has a stiff heart, the hand will play better in diamonds.
0

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 16:52

jdonn, on May 29 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

kenrexford, on May 29 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

There's something to be said for 2NT and 3NT responses showing the same basic range (12-15 or so), but one primed and one quacked.  Never heard of that, though.

There is no point, why not just have 2NT show both? That's way more playable than 3NT showing both.

Well, true. Maybe, though, it would be nice if 3NT showed a tight-range quacker and 2NT showed a wider range primer?

Just thinking...
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-May-30, 04:41

Here is the hand:

Scoring: IMP

1♦ - (P) - 3NT - All Pass


As many do, we play that 3NT shows a balanced 13-15 and the 1♦ opener only promises 3 cards. So I bid what seemed like a perfectly normal 3NT. The opps took the first 5 clubs and the ♦K was offside (fortunately).

At the other table, RHO overcalled 2♣ so my opponents avoided 3NT. They wound up in 5♦ losing a trick in each suit (rather unluckily) other than clubs for down 1.

I would rather be in 6♦ than in 3NT on these cards.

As several posters have noted, using 3NT to show this type of hand, while common, is flawed. This hand shows one of those flaws. My partner didn't think his hand merited a move over 3NT. His decision could have been right.
0

#15 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2009-May-30, 04:51

Similar bidding:
Scoring: XIMP

South opened 1♣ (openings are 5=5=4=2, 1♣ is 2+ card).
North bid 3NT, protectecting twice Kx, to play (typically 12-14 pts).
3NT is passed out.
Lead is a small ♠ for the K to North. Making 3NT+4.
Should bidding be different here?
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users