BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB Missed Slam

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-28, 21:08

Scoring: IMP

(3♥) - 3NT - All Pass

ATB for missing 6♠ or 6NT...

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-May-28, 21:31

Well I'd start with a double with the S hand. So I guess South. North bids 4♠ then S needs to find a keycard bid, which they are probably worth. 3NT clearly kept everyone out of slam, North has no real reason to bid over that, imo.
Kevin Fay
0

#3 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-29, 00:31

I won't blame anyone.

3 NT was a practical choice, which no insurance to make or to miss a slam, but hey, what else can you do?. When you had known that partner has a 5 card spade suit, you could have doubled. But not knowing it, double is as speculative as 3 NT.

And passing was clear cut after a 3 NT bid. You do not have so many extras in your hand. Your partner will expect a card or two, this is what you have.

So blame it to 3 ♥.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-29, 01:31

Hi,

I would have bid 3NT with the South hand, but the 3NT bid
is heavy, at the moment South decided to bid 3NT, he also
decided to give up on Slam.
I am not sure Passing with the North hand is correct, but only
because North is facing a void, passing basically bets, that
South has 9 running tricks, i.e. I think it is reasonable, if
North tries to play 4S.
Depending on methods this means Norths needs to bid 4S
or he can go via transfer, if you happen to play system on..

A nice add. agreement to system on is, although it has not yet
come up since we agreed to play it:
If they opened with a major suit preempt, than transfer into
their suit is also transfer for the other major, but with inv.+
values.

With this agreement in place, you may be able to find 6S.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-29, 03:17

all normal, move on
0

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-May-29, 04:09

no blame
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-29, 06:00

I don't like 3NT. A stop of Kx is far worse than Ax, because you have to win it immediately, and then take nine tricks straight away. That's only possible opposite some very specific, and quite strong, hands.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-May-29, 06:13

I might have doubled with the South hand which might have lead to slam after N responds 4♠. But 3NT is not wrong, and as North I would also have passed 3NT.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#9 User is offline   y66 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,497
  • Joined: 2006-February-24

Posted 2009-May-29, 07:16

If I were South, I think I'd double here since I can bid 3N with a lot less than that. Yeah, sometimes we'll play in 5m not making. So what?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter
0

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-29, 09:30

I don't think north should pass, why not transfer to spades? If south is balanced there's a very high chance you belong in spades considering you have a void, and if south is unbalanced you have support for him no matter what (of course he shouldn't have to accept a transfer on this auction). But I still don't think I would get to slam, south would simply accept the transfer and that's that.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 09:35

jdonn, on May 29 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

I don't think north should pass, why not transfer to spades? If south is balanced there's a very high chance you belong in spades considering you have a void, and if south is unbalanced you have support for him no matter what (of course he shouldn't have to accept a transfer on this auction). But I still don't think I would get to slam, south would simply accept the transfer and that's that.

You can always hope that they double 4♥. ;)
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users