BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding with the minors - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding with the minors

Poll: What's your plan? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your plan?

  1. Double (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Overcall 2D (8 votes [19.05%])

    Percentage of vote: 19.05%

  3. Overcall 2NT (minors) and pass 3m (2 votes [4.76%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.76%

  4. Overcall 2NT (minors) and bid over 3m (25 votes [59.52%])

    Percentage of vote: 59.52%

  5. Overcall 4NT (minors) (7 votes [16.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 16.67%

  6. Some psych (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,715
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-May-25, 01:14

IMPs, all red. You hold:

♠-
♥Jx
♦Axxxxx
♣AKQTx

After two passes, RHO opens 1♠. What is your plan?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2009-May-25, 02:22

2N, then bid 3 diamonds over 3 clubs to show longer diamonds, and 3 ♠ over 3 diamonds (I've agreed with my partners that I'm showing my shorter suit bidding this way)
Chris Gibson
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-25, 04:39

If I bid 2NT I am not making any plans at the 3 level because it ain't gonna happen.

I think 4NT is clearly right, we have an "easy" double at the 5 level wich suggests our hand type if its needed. And you never get rich winning 4♦ anyway.
0

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-25, 04:49

I'll bid 2NT. If opps bid 4M, I'll bid to the 5 level if necessary. If they don't, I'll settle for the 4 level.

Gonzalo's plan of 4NT is nice and very descriptive, but I'm not so sure we should drive to the 5 level so quickly. Pard may have a 5422 with 7-8 hcp in the majors and the 3 or 4 level might be the limit.
0

#5 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-25, 05:02

4 NT Gonzalo rules
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-25, 05:43

4NT didn't occur to me, but I love it! B)

4NT it is...
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-25, 09:23

I hate 4NT. Everyone wants to play 5♣ when partner is 2-2 in the minors? 2NT is plenty for now, the auction doesn't have to be over after that.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-25, 10:01

4NT.

The question is, do I play to sell out to 4S?
If the answer is No (my answer), I would bid 4NT at
once.

A possible idea is to bid 2NT followed by 4NT over
4S, which should show longer diamonds (?!), at least
if partner was not able to show a preference until than.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-25, 10:23

CSGibson, on May 25 2009, 03:22 AM, said:

2N, then bid 3 diamonds over 3 clubs to show longer diamonds, and 3 ♠ over 3 diamonds (I've agreed with my partners that I'm showing my shorter suit bidding this way)

This is a good plan.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-May-25, 10:44

jdonn, on May 25 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

I hate 4NT. Everyone wants to play 5♣ when partner is 2-2 in the minors? 2NT is plenty for now, the auction doesn't have to be over after that.

the first two sentences echo my feelings. but my conclusion about what to do is different. If I intend to bid again anyway at a high level, why not overcall 2d now and then bid the clubs? At least i show great playing strength and probably longer diamonds, but not outside the overcall range. Preemptive calls have their effect on 3 players, not just two.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-25, 12:06

jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

I hate 4NT. Everyone wants to play 5♣ when partner is 2-2 in the minors? 2NT is plenty for now, the auction doesn't have to be over after that.

Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.

Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.
0

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-May-25, 13:35

jdonn and whereagles agreed, this thread can be closed now (and stickied?)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#13 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,223
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-25, 15:27

awm, on May 25 2009, 02:14 AM, said:

IMPs, all red. You hold:

♠-
♥Jx
♦Axxxxx
♣AKQTx

After two passes, RHO opens 1♠. What is your plan?

2d for now.
0

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-25, 19:08

Fluffy, on May 26 2009, 06:06 AM, said:

jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

I hate 4NT. Everyone wants to play 5♣ when partner is 2-2 in the minors? 2NT is plenty for now, the auction doesn't have to be over after that.

Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.

Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.

I am not sure about that.

I tend to pick the lower suit if I have to choose in a similar situation. With 6=5 partner might have chosen to bid diamonds then clubs but that option is less attractive with 5=6 where the unusual NT overcall is more likely.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2009-May-26, 02:52

Cascade, on May 25 2009, 06:08 PM, said:

Fluffy, on May 26 2009, 06:06 AM, said:

jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

I hate 4NT. Everyone wants to play 5♣ when partner is 2-2 in the minors? 2NT is plenty for now, the auction doesn't have to be over after that.

Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.

Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.

I am not sure about that.

I tend to pick the lower suit if I have to choose in a similar situation. With 6=5 partner might have chosen to bid diamonds then clubs but that option is less attractive with 5=6 where the unusual NT overcall is more likely.

My partner and I have developed a rule for our two suiters: Partner should bid their singletons up the line. This rule was developed after going for 1100 twice in Michaels situations where partner was 1-1 in my two suits, and partner gave preference to his better singleton, the higher ranking suit in each case.
Chris Gibson
0

#16 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-26, 04:37

gwnn, on May 25 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

jdonn and whereagles agreed, this thread can be closed now (and stickied?)

LOL

(for once a genuine lol... LOL)
0

#17 User is offline   mcphee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,514
  • Joined: 2003-February-16

Posted 2009-May-26, 07:06

I have a nice hand and the point for me is I can very easily find a partner with quite an unsuitable hand for minors. To that end however I am bidding 2N and see what develops. If they reach 4S with no noise from partner I can find dble. No idea how this plan will work out, but I like my opening lead a lot should partner elect to pass a dble of 4S.

I like to play 4N and 4S as minors directly with 4S showing some interest in slam and I do not have the 4S bid for sure, forcing our side to bid 5 at once may work out horrible on many hands, namely missing a possible slam, penalty or taking a minus from a plus score position.

It is doubtful to me this is going to be a simple un-active auction, I intend to make some noise and see no reason to blast.
0

#18 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-26, 13:24

2NT for now, not planning to pass next time.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#19 User is offline   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,715
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-May-26, 16:22

Here's what actually happened on the hand.

Scoring: IMP


At my table, I overcalled 2NT (seems to be the majority vote). West decided not to raise spades to the three-level on his 3-count, north bid 3♦ which east passed. I chose to raise to 5♦ (perhaps some other call is better) and north bid 6♦. This was two down when east (on lead) cashed two top hearts and we eventually had to lose the king of diamonds.

While several dubious calls were made on the auction, the plan of overcalling 2NT and then bidding on seems destined to reach 5♦ by north, which will always fail.

At the other table, the person holding the south hand overcalled 2♦. West raised to 2♠ and after several more calls south became declarer in 5♦X. However, west was on lead this time and lead a spade (the partnership suit) rather than a heart from four small. South scored up 750.

Dunno if this is even worth seriously considering as a factor, but it's often the case that when most of the opponents' values are in one hand, that hand has an easier time figuring out what to lead than partner does.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-26, 16:52

awm, on May 26 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

Dunno if this is even worth seriously considering as a factor, but it's often the case that when most of the opponents' values are in one hand, that hand has an easier time figuring out what to lead than partner does.

In general he often knows what he wishes partner to lead, but he also often cannot lead it himself.

I have been taught to force the bidding to make the guy with an opening to be forced on lead at trick 1 on games and partscores.

But the basis of what I say is for balanced and semi balanced hands. On double fit hands you might be correct
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users