Bidding with the minors
#1
Posted 2009-May-25, 01:14
♠-
♥Jx
♦Axxxxx
♣AKQTx
After two passes, RHO opens 1♠. What is your plan?
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#2
Posted 2009-May-25, 02:22
#3
Posted 2009-May-25, 04:39
I think 4NT is clearly right, we have an "easy" double at the 5 level wich suggests our hand type if its needed. And you never get rich winning 4♦ anyway.
#4
Posted 2009-May-25, 04:49
Gonzalo's plan of 4NT is nice and very descriptive, but I'm not so sure we should drive to the 5 level so quickly. Pard may have a 5422 with 7-8 hcp in the majors and the 3 or 4 level might be the limit.
#5
Posted 2009-May-25, 05:02
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#6
Posted 2009-May-25, 05:43
4NT it is...
#7
Posted 2009-May-25, 09:23
#8
Posted 2009-May-25, 10:01
The question is, do I play to sell out to 4S?
If the answer is No (my answer), I would bid 4NT at
once.
A possible idea is to bid 2NT followed by 4NT over
4S, which should show longer diamonds (?!), at least
if partner was not able to show a preference until than.
With kind regards
Marlowe
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#9
Posted 2009-May-25, 10:23
CSGibson, on May 25 2009, 03:22 AM, said:
This is a good plan.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#10
Posted 2009-May-25, 10:44
jdonn, on May 25 2009, 10:23 AM, said:
the first two sentences echo my feelings. but my conclusion about what to do is different. If I intend to bid again anyway at a high level, why not overcall 2d now and then bid the clubs? At least i show great playing strength and probably longer diamonds, but not outside the overcall range. Preemptive calls have their effect on 3 players, not just two.
#11
Posted 2009-May-25, 12:06
jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:
Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.
Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.
#12
Posted 2009-May-25, 13:35
George Carlin
#13
Posted 2009-May-25, 15:27
awm, on May 25 2009, 02:14 AM, said:
♠-
♥Jx
♦Axxxxx
♣AKQTx
After two passes, RHO opens 1♠. What is your plan?
2d for now.
#14
Posted 2009-May-25, 19:08
Fluffy, on May 26 2009, 06:06 AM, said:
jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:
Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.
Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.
I am not sure about that.
I tend to pick the lower suit if I have to choose in a similar situation. With 6=5 partner might have chosen to bid diamonds then clubs but that option is less attractive with 5=6 where the unusual NT overcall is more likely.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#15
Posted 2009-May-26, 02:52
Cascade, on May 25 2009, 06:08 PM, said:
Fluffy, on May 26 2009, 06:06 AM, said:
jdonn, on May 25 2009, 03:23 PM, said:
Not over, but LHO had 3 kind of free spade raises wich I don't like.
Even in the awful scenario of a 2-2 minor from partner, he is likelly having a diamond honnor, and picking the right suit.
I am not sure about that.
I tend to pick the lower suit if I have to choose in a similar situation. With 6=5 partner might have chosen to bid diamonds then clubs but that option is less attractive with 5=6 where the unusual NT overcall is more likely.
My partner and I have developed a rule for our two suiters: Partner should bid their singletons up the line. This rule was developed after going for 1100 twice in Michaels situations where partner was 1-1 in my two suits, and partner gave preference to his better singleton, the higher ranking suit in each case.
#16
Posted 2009-May-26, 04:37
gwnn, on May 25 2009, 07:35 PM, said:
LOL
(for once a genuine lol... LOL)
#17
Posted 2009-May-26, 07:06
I like to play 4N and 4S as minors directly with 4S showing some interest in slam and I do not have the 4S bid for sure, forcing our side to bid 5 at once may work out horrible on many hands, namely missing a possible slam, penalty or taking a minus from a plus score position.
It is doubtful to me this is going to be a simple un-active auction, I intend to make some noise and see no reason to blast.
#19
Posted 2009-May-26, 16:22
At my table, I overcalled 2NT (seems to be the majority vote). West decided not to raise spades to the three-level on his 3-count, north bid 3♦ which east passed. I chose to raise to 5♦ (perhaps some other call is better) and north bid 6♦. This was two down when east (on lead) cashed two top hearts and we eventually had to lose the king of diamonds.
While several dubious calls were made on the auction, the plan of overcalling 2NT and then bidding on seems destined to reach 5♦ by north, which will always fail.
At the other table, the person holding the south hand overcalled 2♦. West raised to 2♠ and after several more calls south became declarer in 5♦X. However, west was on lead this time and lead a spade (the partnership suit) rather than a heart from four small. South scored up 750.
Dunno if this is even worth seriously considering as a factor, but it's often the case that when most of the opponents' values are in one hand, that hand has an easier time figuring out what to lead than partner does.
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
#20
Posted 2009-May-26, 16:52
awm, on May 26 2009, 10:22 PM, said:
In general he often knows what he wishes partner to lead, but he also often cannot lead it himself.
I have been taught to force the bidding to make the guy with an opening to be forced on lead at trick 1 on games and partscores.
But the basis of what I say is for balanced and semi balanced hands. On double fit hands you might be correct

Help
